Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1555 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2012 11:17 AM by offmycouch RSS
La Colombiana Rookie 1 posts since
Jan 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2012 6:10 AM

5k mud run

Hello everyone,

I'm using the Couch 2 5k program to prepare for a 5K mud run that I have coming up in April. It is my first race, and I am hoping this program helps me get prepared properly for this. I'm also lifting weights on the days I don't run to build up my arm muscles. Have any of you done a mud run, and if so, do you have any other tips on what I should do to train? Thanks everyone!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 8, 2012 10:36 AM (in response to La Colombiana)
    5k mud run

No but it sounds like fun!!

• myd10goto11 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 30, 2012
    2. Feb 8, 2012 1:45 PM (in response to La Colombiana)
    5k mud run

I'll be doing a 5k mud run/obstacle course in April as well!

Training tip:

make sure you do more than just running for  your legs. Plyo might be good because some mud runs have obstacles like hay stacks, tires, and rope climbs that require your legs to be able to high step and climb steep inclines.

Not really training tips, but day of the race:

wear tight clothes without pockets - spandex running short and shirt for example (mud gets caught in loose and pocketed clothes)

be hydrated - at least starting the night before

mostly have fun!

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    3. Feb 8, 2012 9:13 PM (in response to myd10goto11)
    Re: 5k mud run

I did a mud run last year, and it was great fun, there are lots of obstacles, including walls that need to be climbed,  so I would work on upper body strength.  This run had teams of 5 runners, you started together and you finished together, you helped your teammates over walls, we carried 40 pound sand bags, there was a part where only 3 could run and the other two had to be carried somehow........there was a big "slip and slide" into a mud pit, a army crawl on your belly......there were over 300 teams.  they went 5 teams at a time,running down a channel with volunteer's on either side waping you with pool noodles and shooting you with super soakers.  They did  E-mail before the race and if you thought your team had a chance of winning you got a lower number, our team was 2 hundred and something....I was the only runner, I was with a group of moms from my girls school.  Almost everyone dressed up--- wedding dresses, ninja turtles, evil fast food icons, guys in dresses, and some guys just wearing speedos, it was a experience.  I will do it again this year.

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    4. Feb 9, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to ItsLinda)
    5k mud run

@ItsLinda.  That sounds like a blast!!!  I have always wanted to do a mud run but I have no upper body strength at all and know I would not be able to so some of the obstacles....but with a team to help.....it might be doable!!

This might be a dumb question, but I have often wondered....What do you do about your shoes?  Do you just wear an old pair of tennis shoes that you can hose off after it's over?  I wouldn't want to ruin my good running shoes.

Kris

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    5. Feb 9, 2012 10:18 AM (in response to offmycouch)
    Re: 5k mud run

Yes, wear your oldest shoes I because they will be a mess,the mud pit was littered with shoes that people "lost" then they ran barefoot, and there was a hill, that was not a nice surface, I mean rocks, gravel, some people did not go up the hill, because it was a turn around, (I told the guy at the top to "stamp my hand", he looked at me like I was a nut). You didn't have to climb all the obsticles, this was all in real fun, it was to raise funds for our local Habitat for Humanity, when I pick up the race packets, there was all levels of fitness there, I knew we could do it.  At the last wall I know someone who didn't go over just walked around to the other side and put hay in their hair and shirt, not saying who...........

There was one team that had 4 Navy Seals, and the were chasing Bin Lauden, with Supersoakers.............

At the end there are boxes to donate your shoes, but you need something on your feet to walk to your car, take beach towels, to cover your car seats, and I took several gallons of water in my truck, because the year before the lines for the water hoses were long..........

Oh and there are lots of spectators, so my daughter held my keys and flip flops

• offmycouch Pro 70 posts since
    Jun 22, 2011
    6. Feb 9, 2012 11:17 AM (in response to ItsLinda)
    5k mud run

Sounds like you would be fun to have on a team!! 

Thanks so much for all the great info!!  Lots of things I would have never thought about until it was too late.

There was something similar in my area..."Warrior Dash".  And I do recall seeing a picture on the website of a huge pile of shoes...now I know what that was for!  Not sure if the dash is all in fun, but you can bet I'll be looking for a fun one this year. 

Thanks again.

Kris

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points