Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

687 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2012 7:35 PM by Balaru
Balaru Rookie 6 posts since
May 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2012 7:35 PM

MARDI GRAS MAMBO 10K  in Baton Rouge, LA - WALKERS

Is anyone else doing the Mardi Gras Mambo on 2/25th.  I'm a bit nervous because the registration had a place check off what time you thought you might finish in.  I did the Crescent City Classic last year with no training and it took me 2:06 which is a 20 min mile.  I joined a gym 5 months ago and do several classes a week including Zumba, Strength Training and Yoga as well as Upper body machines, elliptical, treadmill and ab machines.  I'm down 17.8 pounds on my journey to get rid of 75 pounds FOREVER!

Last Sunday I did a 5K and my time was 51:06 which is still a 20 min mile.  I looked at training guides online for a 10K but they suggest a 13 week training time I only have 23 days left.  I am still finding the balance between pushing myself hard and overdoing resulting in injury.

The time on the registration was 80 minutes which is only 1 hr 20 min. which is at least 40 minutes faster if I'm calculating right.

I need to "talk" with someone who has done this race.  Anybody out there? 

Is it like the CCC where you just do your best and even at 2:06 there are still ALOT of people behind you?  I walk most of it and do run a few times.

For the 5K I ran about 5 or 6 times.  I am a walker on her way to becoming a runner.

Should I switch from my classes to doing strictly treadmill or should I stick with my classes and do the walking on the weekends at the park that has a one mile loop.

Do I need to do 6 miles before the race?  I was thinking I'm already at 3 miles with no problem so should I do 3 miles this week, 4 miles next, 5 the following week and then 6 the week of the race up to the day before when I rest?

I did Zumba Fri night, Sat. morning and then the 5K Sun morning and that was a bit much.  I had to recover for 24 hours before moving onto another class.

Need some advise on this one as I'm pretty nervous that I won't finish in time.

Thanks,

"C"

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points