Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

479 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2012 2:15 PM by SoftballSmarts
SoftballSmarts Legend 421 posts since
Oct 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 4, 2012 2:15 PM

The 10 Traits of a Champion

My 14u team played their first games of 2012 last weekend and the results of ours and other games I watched reminded me just how slim the difference between winning and losing really is.

In most every game played between two fairly evenly matched teams success or failure will come down to just a hand full of plays or at bats or pitches, right? The team that makes the plays, or executes, wins don't they? If you follow any larger tournament bracket you will find that the deeper the bracket goes the closer and lower scoring the games all get. Why is that?

Teams that win consistently do certain things that teams who don't win consistently do not. This is true in every sport for it is always the little things that capture or cost victory.

On the softball diamond I was reminded once again what determines success or failure...victory or defeat. Here are the 10 traits of a championship level team (they are also the traits of a champion athlete as well):

1. Attitude - Championship caliber teams have a swagger about them, an expectancy that they will play well. These type teams literally exude an energy of success. They have a "can do" attitude from the moment they get up in the morning!

2. Confidence - Along with the champion's swagger comes extreme confidence; almost cocky but never arrogant. Regardless of the score these teams never stop competing as they are supremely confident they will prevail when the game is over. They trust themselves to make plays, and never hesitate for fear of making a mistake.

3. Relaxed - Along with confidence comes the ability to play the game relaxed. The more relaxed the less chance for mistakes or poor execution at the plate, in the field, on the bases or in the circle. A relaxed mental state is the result of an expectancy for success.

7 more traits togo, plus over 75 fastpitch specific articles on how to make the 2012 season your athlete's best ever...only at SoftballSmarts.

Boost your athlete's game day confidence fast with the Sports Confidence Blueprint program!

For more FREE mental game tips and strategies visit me at: Softball Smarts or my Facebook page.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...