Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2394 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 8:31 AM by jjwaverly_42 RSS
tine1972 Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 6, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2012 1:26 PM

my first 5k

hi there, I am new to running and finally enrolled for my first 5K, on february 11,2012. this question  is for the avid runners, can you share with me some tips for my first race.

thank you in advance,

tine

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    1. Feb 6, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to tine1972)
    my first 5k

Before I ran my first race, I had found this article on Active.com:  http://www.active.com/running/Articles/8_Answers_to_Common_5K_Questions.htm

It eased a lot of my worries, I think you'll find it helpful too.

Best of luck in your race!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    2. Feb 6, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to tine1972)
    my first 5k

The biggest thing without know anything else, is to know what kinda of shape you are in and know your personal limits.  Make sure that you consult with a physican prior to any new training, and continually train for your event.  If you have never run before there are programs called "Couch to 5k" designed for new runners, but your 5k is in 5 days, which isn't enough time.  Actually with the amount of time you have, I would do the run and enjoy it and then work hard to get better on you next 5k.  Good luck on your run.

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Feb 6, 2012 2:11 PM (in response to tine1972)
    my first 5k

I would say just do your best and do not push too hard on your first 5k.  It is okay to walk/slow jog or whatever is comfortable.  Most likely, you will have a wonderful experience and become addicted to races...looking forward to the next opportunity.  A lot of events are for charity, so you will be improving your health and making a difference.  Also, you will probably meet some wonderful and encouraging people to inspire you on forward.  I would encourage you to talk with other runners before and after the race. The overwhelming majority are kind, generous and helpful advocates, willing to share insights and advice. 

Wishing you a memorable experience and many more in future!

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    5. Feb 6, 2012 2:46 PM (in response to tine1972)
    my first 5k

tine1972 wrote:

hi there, I am new to running and finally enrolled for my first 5K, on february 11,2012. this question  is for the avid runners, can you share with me some tips for my first race.

thank you in advance,

tine

Do not over think this race. Do not make it complicated. Show up an hour a head of time, get your number, warm up a little, and run the race.

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Feb 7, 2012 8:31 AM (in response to tine1972)
    my first 5k

Have fun. Your start slow strategy is good for your first one. Remember to go through the chute. Funny, when I ran my first race, the chute was a little bit back from the finish (there were no chips, just someone writing times down), I just crossed the line and started walking off, until someone yelled at me to go through the chute. I thinked I messed them up a little bit. But don't worry about it, it's usually very clear where it is, if they even have one. Just follow everyone else.

I hope you have as much fun as I did in my first race.

--Jimmy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points