Skip navigation

4522 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 1:23 AM by OLballer20
Kzai01 Amateur 30 posts since
Oct 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2012 12:28 PM

How Do U Deal With Trash Talkers?

Last Tuesday I was playing this pick up game and there was this one kid who be talking trash and he do it every time I brought up the ball saying " he can't dribble" and puting pressure  D on me evrytime I got the ball. This really got into my head  and I started losing my cool and I was'nt really  thinking all I thought was to shut this kid up by doing something. But this led to a lot of turnovers and taking me mmentally out of the game. So I was wondering how I could deal with this situation. Any advice would be appreciated.

• BoWeezy Amateur 32 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    1. Feb 3, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to Kzai01)

Well You Did What The Trash Talker Wanted you To Do. Usually a Trash talker Wants you To Lose Your Head. How I Would Deal With Them Trash Talkers, I Would Ignore Him and Let My Game Do The Talking. Let Your Game Shut Them Up!

• 21mamba Expert 52 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    2. Feb 3, 2012 1:57 PM (in response to Kzai01)

Exactly, just ignore them. I deal with this crap so much. I just ignore them and play my game. Then I end up beating them.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    3. Feb 7, 2012 7:44 PM (in response to Kzai01)

Yeah I agree with BoWeezy and 21mamba. Don't let trash talk dictate what type of game you are going to play. Play the game the way you know how, and let your game speak for you. Actions speak louder than words. And that is especially true in basketball.

• JoshM33 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 5, 2012
    4. Feb 19, 2012 9:33 AM (in response to Kzai01)

As a coach i find my players lose their coll with trash talkers as well and then you try to force things on offense. Forget blowing by him and getting all fancy on him just stay calm and wait for an opportunity like you would if he didnt say anything. I've always found the best way to let them know you are there to win and his crap aint going to cut it is wait until you are defending. Be physical back and dont forget the odd hard foul can never go a miss ;D. Nothing says shut up like a sly elbow or a cheeky knee as he tries to drive past you. You might get called for it but he'll know you're not messing around anymore

• NextCP3 Legend 320 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    5. Apr 11, 2012 1:22 PM (in response to Kzai01)

let ur game do the speakin

• JumpShot0881 Amateur 28 posts since
    Apr 5, 2012
    6. Apr 13, 2012 8:06 PM (in response to Kzai01)

Hey man show them up. Be sure you play better than them. They r tryin to make u loose ur head

• OLballer20 Expert 36 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    7. Apr 14, 2012 1:23 AM (in response to Kzai01)

If you ever want to be successful in the game of basketball at any level beyond highschool you can do 2 things. use trash talk to fuel your game, or do what ever nba superstar does...and FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE, the best feeling is getting in someones mug and talking trash, just try something like"he dont want it" and say it authoritavely....if you do it right, sit back and watch the self destruction. if your to soft to take trash talk, you wouldnt even make my varsity team my friend.Good luck and toughen up

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points