Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

838 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 9, 2012 7:38 AM by BOSNPM
alicoton Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2012 1:01 PM

The more I run the more my lower back is hurting me!

Hello,

My name Alix. I had always run for ever but last year I ran my 1st half marathon, last month my 1st ragnar relay and just complete my 2nd half marathon 2 weeks ago. Because of that I train almost every day and the more I train the more my lower bakc is hurting me. Maybe I don't get the right position. I don't know but I feel worried because I want to train for a full marathon .

Does someone has advices or explations?

Thank you

Have a good day.

Alix

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 8, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to alicoton)
    The more I run the more my lower back is hurting me!

Hi Alix,

I would look at some of the more obvious answers first...changing out your running shoes, considering inserts and so on.  It may be due to muscle strain, but also due to leg length difference, hip discrepency, pressure on spinal discs or basically a combination of things that deal with distribution and force of your weight while running.  Most likely, a foot imbalance is causing the problem, but it is important to check out all the possibilities.  Consider tapering down your training schedule and avoid hills until you have a professional opinion.  Also, swimming and cycling might be good cross-training alternatives if it is recommended to reduce the impact on your lower back. 

Hope you are feeling better soon!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

You need to be doing a lot of core and lower back exercises, running puts a lot of strain on your lower back.  A strong core will help you a ton!  make sure you are running tall, proper form.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...