Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3516 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 7:32 AM by raf66 RSS
jmwolffparr Pro 61 posts since
Sep 27, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2012 3:49 PM

Need Advice..1/2 Marathon in 3 weeks!

Any tips for how to "survive" a half?  I am flying to Florida for the 2/26 Princess half marathon...I am in it for plane tickets/hotel and the hefty entry fee so one way or another I am gonna try it.

The problem is I injured my peroneal tendon in the 1st week of Decemeber during my longest run to date of 9 miles.  So I was on track, but majorly derailed.  I have spent the last two months trying to keep up with cardio by cross training on bike and elliptical, and logged simulated "long runs" of 1 hour, 1.5 and 2 hours.

I finally was able to start doing short runs with no pain in my foot but then about 1/26 I got bronchitis, and I am still coughing from it pretty signifigantly.  Because of this my cardio has been ramping down instead of ramping up.  Hopefully I will be better by this weekend...but that basically leaves me 2 weekend "long run opportunities" between now and the half.

So by goal is now to just survive the half, and stay ahead of the sweeper cart which picks you up if you aren't maintaining a 16 min/mile.  I know I will need to do a walk run combo at this point, but I am not sure what the best way is to manage that.  I don't want to overdo it in the begining and have to crawl to the finish line....anyone have any suggestions for how to try and train until then and the best strategy to make it to the finish line ahead of the cart??

Julie in Northeast PA
Started C25K on 3/12/2011 - Graduated 6/2/2011

Start B210K 6/4/2011- Done ~August

Completed Races:

Mayfair 5K - 5/28/11 (1st 5K): Ran the whole way and finished in 38.2

Hey I know You! 5K -7/16/11 - 34.52

Alburtis 5K - 8/13/2011 32.45

Ocean to Sound Relay (6 miles)- 9/25/2011 1:11:54

Womens 5K Classic - 10/15/2011 - 34:25

Christmas City Classic 5-Miler - 12/11/11 - Missed due to injury

Disney Princess Half Marathon - Feb, 26 2012 (1st Half!) 2:55 (ran/walked - coming off inury )

Upcoming Races:

Broad Street Run - Philly (10 miles) - 5/6/12

• Terranss Legend 268 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    1. Feb 6, 2012 4:10 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)

First of all, sorry to hear about your setbacks... I'm sure there will be more half marathons in your future, though, so you're right on with your mentality here--just try and finish.

With 2 weeks to go, there's not a lot you can do to gain fitness, but you can test and maintain what you have, which is what your goal is here.  This weekend, try 6 miles, with 5 minutes running / 2 minutes walking.  Judging by your previous times, this 5:2 training should put you right around a 15-minute mile, faster than the sag wagon but way easier a pace than your other race times.  If possible, try to get at least another 6-miler in mid-week, and then, providing the last two runs went well, go for 8-10 (I'll leave the number up to you).  Again, you're doing 15-minute miles here, so you won't be challenging your cardiovascular system too much--it's the legs and feet you have to be concerned with.  Keep in mind that 8-10 miles at 15 min/mile pace is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour run, so hydrate and fuel yourself accordingly.  Plan for one more 6-miler during the week of the race, with one or two shorter ones mixed in.

The only other advice I can give is to be okay with a DNF for this race...  You've had a lot of setbacks, and you don't want pride/ego to ruin future races.  There will be more in store for you, so run healthy!

Best of luck!

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2. Feb 6, 2012 4:59 PM (in response to Terranss)

jmwolffparr Terranss gave you some excellent advice. I live in Florida and can assure you this race is very popular with many locals who participate but not on a competitive level. The first three miles of this race is extremely slow normally. I would use the crowd to my advantage. Start slowly and don't get caught up with all the hype. Many runner in the back corral will be running and walking from the start.In previous events Galloway runners using the run walk method had a tent where all meet. Maybe you can find a running mate there. I would use my time in the corral prior to the start looking for people who are going to do the same. Everyone is super friendly. Just ask whomever you meet who's utilizing the Galloway run walk method. Also use the numerous water stops to your advantage, Stop refuel and walk quickly thru each instead of running. A little more time on your feet the next two week with a few longer runs will also help. Enjoy this great race. You'll be glad you went and did not quit. The weather has been unseasonally warm. Hope it remains for your race, Good Luck !

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Scotty670 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Feb 6, 2012 6:22 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)

I hope you heal more before the trip.  Try lots of hot tubs, steam rooms, and good food.  Maybe some good threorpy stretching-pulling.

Good Luck and good running.

Scotty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Feb 7, 2012 5:47 AM (in response to Scotty670)

Terranss has given you some great advice.  I would only offer you a couple of things:  As stated you are not going to gain any fitness is two weeks, so if you have any issues while running stop getting to the start line healthy is the best you can do.  Stay positives throughout your race, your mine is a very important tool ( no negatives thoughts).  A quote I like to remember during my marathons is ""No matter how good you feel, it will change NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU FEEL, IT WILL CHANGE TOO.  Good Luck

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    6. Feb 8, 2012 7:16 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)
    Re: Need Advice..1/2 Marathon in 3 weeks!

I'm so sorry to hear of your injury and understand your frustration. Please, please be extra cautious in this run. The most important issue is to do no more harm, and secondly to  have fun and thirdly to finish. I'm a proponent and follower of Jeff Galloway's training method. He addresses a similar issue in one of the last extra mile podcasts http://gallowayextramile.blogspot.com/   (either 9 or last one I think).  If I remember correctly, he advocates walking even more than you normally would on the front end, for example, walking the first few miles and then going into a very conservative run/walk ratio such as 1 min run/1 min walk. As you get closer to the end, then you can run longer or harder.   Galloway & his wife do ALL of their marathons using a 30 second/ 30 second run/walk ratio......strange, to me too, but they finish in around 5 hours for a full! Check his web site, and if you have time listen to some of those extra mile podcasts as they are very enlightening. 

If you get a chance to meet him at the Princess Expo, I'm sure he will gladly give you some good advise. He is the Disney official running guru.

Good luck and happy running.  Disney is a magical place.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    9. Feb 29, 2012 12:06 PM (in response to jmwolffparr)

Great job!

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    10. Mar 1, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to jmwolffparr)

Great job.  Glad you completed your first HM with no ill effects.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points