Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

807 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 7:36 AM by Love2STEP
Love2STEP Amateur 36 posts since
Oct 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2012 12:47 PM

What the heck is this....?

Hello Runners...

I'm a basic weekend runner with an occasional 5K and recently my first 13.1 Marathon.  I average approximately 11 or so miles a week...no big deal.  However, I also teach fitness classes (with some impact).  I teach a total of 5 classes a week.  These classes are evenly balanced with toning/strength training.

Anyway.....I hope you have that picture. 

Here's my issue. 

Recently, I've noticed the left front side of my left leg is NUMB...!  I touch the area to the left of my shin and there is no feeling.  The same is true when I pass my fingers over of the top of each metatarsal on that foot.  The numbness is exclusive to a strip the length of about five inches and only about an inch wide on that side of the leg only. 

Secondly, I am unable to support my body weight when I lean on that heel.  For instance, I tried taking a few steps only on my heels, and the right one is able to support my body weight, but the left foot gives out...as if the nerves aren't telling the muscle to contract. 

I thought perhaps it is a pinched nerve or something....anybody have any ideas.  What could be causing this? There is no pain....just a sore spot on the bottom of my foot below the second metatarsal that is a bit sensitive after a workout. 

Ugh.....I don't want to give up any of my activities..and am wondering how serious this is or can become.  Let me know your thoughts...!

Thank you,

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Feb 13, 2012 2:58 PM (in response to Love2STEP)

Tibial or sciatic nerve could be involved, or lower back issues.  Really, a number of things could be causing restricted blood flow or temporary compression and loss of feeling.  It may be a good idea to see a sports PT and also check our your iron levels.  (That is a big factor known to cause numbing and tingling sensations in the legs).  Honeslty, it could also be nothing at all...a slight inflammation coming from an overworked calf muscle or somthing along those lines.  I have similiar problems with my right foot (too many variables to go into), but basically the symptoms come and go and are not related to any more serious issues.  Still, it is a good idea to have an evaluation if it continues and is worrisome to your performance.

Hope all goes well!

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. Feb 13, 2012 4:46 PM (in response to Love2STEP)

The area you describe your diminished sensation and numbness is the area for the L4-L5 dermatome.  A dermatome is a particular area of skin inntervated by a particular nerve root.  The weakness you describe in your foot is the L4-L5 myotome.  A myotome is a particular group of muscle inttervated by a particular nerve root.  The symptoms suggest some thing is irritating your nerve root most likely at the L4-L5 level of your spine.  This could be a lumbar disc problem pressing on a nerve, but without proper history and physical examination a other neurological conditions can not be rule out.  Start with your primary care physician for initial diagnostic work up.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points