Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3931 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2012 7:11 PM by ImagoDei RSS
reina43 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 13, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2012 1:18 PM

New Beginings

Hello Everyone

Im new to this and I also need encouragement to fight through this.  Im 43 yo Im 211pds.  Ive never really and Im ready to finally get to where Im feeling good about what I see when I look at myself.

Ive been working out with Jullian Micheals for about 3 weeks and yeh!!!!  Ive lost a few inches all over.  Im getting ready to do a physical fitness test for a job overseas and running is part of it.  That right now is the motivation but I want to get myself in shape once and for all.

I have been walking and doing some running but I feel Ive been doing it all wrong since my knees kill me afterward.  I think it has something to do with the weight Im carrying currently and the double duty I put on them doing Jillian's workout plus run/walk.  Anyone got any suggestions?????

Nevertheless, Im going to start the program tomorrow.  Wish me luck!!!!!

• hegnessevents.com Pro 58 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011
    1. Feb 13, 2012 7:38 PM (in response to reina43)
    New Beginings

Take a good look at your running shoes and your form. Knee pain is often attributed to these two things. Also, your body is going to take awhile to acclimate to running, so you could also be experiencing discomfort from that. Cruise around here in the "Med Tent" section and you'll see more specific advice about your condition, but the good news is it is quite common. Good luck!

Home of the City Challenge Urban Race! http://hegnessevents.com/

Pasadena, CA March 3, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/pasadena-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-pasadena-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Huntington Beach, CA April 13, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/huntington-beach-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-huntington-beach-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Santa Barbara, CA May 4, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/santa-barbara-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-santa-barbara-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Big Bear Lake, CA June 22, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/big-bear-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-big-bear-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Hegness Events Twitter http://twitter.com/hegnessevents

Hegness Events Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hegnessevents

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Feb 15, 2012 1:13 PM (in response to reina43)
    New Beginings

Good for you Reina!  It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start with some good plans.  I agree with the advice to examine your shoes and possible inserts carefully.  Remember to invest in several different pairs because your needs will change as you progress and shoes wear out more quickly than most think (400 miles adds up in a hurry)  Anyway, they are so important!  You may also want to consider elastic knee braces or therapeutic knee guards.  That might be helpful as you continue to transition into longer walks, slow jogging and running more frequently.   Compression socks might be a benefit to assist with circulation.  I have utilized all these things and they really do make a difference when you find the right products for your individual needs. 

Wishing you the very best and congratulations on all your efforts!

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Feb 16, 2012 6:00 AM (in response to Jasko123)
    Re: New Beginings

Congratulations on starting out. Your knees shouldn't be hurting---this is a bad sign that you are overdoing it. Whatever plan you are on, it's probably too much right now. I tell every newbie the same thing. Get a heart rate monitor and workout at or under 180-age (for you it would be 137 beats per minute). More than likely, you will be forced to walk, perhaps at a fast pace. Then as you get fit, you will get faster, and eventually will have to run to keep your heart rate up near 137. What you want to focus on is your aerobic system. This method will keep you aerobic, and if you stick to it, more than likely you'll be injury free. Remember that health and fitness are related, but are two different things. You can be fit enough to run a marathon, but if you're getting to the starting line broken down, with bad knees, injuries, sick---you are not healthy. Think long term---one day at a time. Working out at these low HR, fat-burning intensities is a much healthier way to go. Check out the below links and make informed decision. I wish you the best.

--JImmy

heart rate training

MAF test

6-time Ironman Champ Mark Allen on Heart Rate Training

interview

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Feb 16, 2012 4:04 PM (in response to reina43)
    New Beginings

You're welcome, Reina. I used to weigh 230 pounds at 5'10". With just a few small dietary changes, and walking. I got down to the 170's. After a few years of walking, and getting faster and faster (I was walking 5+mph), I started to run. When I started I was ready for it. I had already built up my aerobic base. The weight was off.  I was able to run a race 4 months later, and got hooked on racing. The advice I gave you was given to me, and it has really saved my body some harm over the years. Take care. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

--Jimmy

• ImagoDei Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 17, 2009
    6. Feb 24, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to reina43)
    New Beginings

Reina,

Congrats and great job!  You can do whatever you choose to do.  Little steps make life changing results.

I dropped 40 pounds (over a year?) because I dramatically changed my diet and started exercising one hour a day (started walking for an hour, then added jogging, etc; now I run 95% of my routes).  We're about the same age.  It just takes time, effort, and patience with yourself to never give up on yourself.  You didn't gain the weight all at once, so it won't come off all at once, but it's definitely doable.  I aimed for losing 3 pounds a month, so it would be safe and permanent.  Only weigh yourself the 5th day of your period for the most accurate results.  Avoid added sugar like the plague.  Good luck to you!

• Sharly Q Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    7. Feb 24, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to reina43)
    New Beginings

Hi Reina!

Congratulations on your new outlook!! You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself! I'm new to running also (very new), but have had some experience with weight loss. I would suggest you educate yourself about nutrition, which will go hand in hand with your new more active lifestyle. A balanced diet and increased activity is the best formula for weight loss and health improvement. Be sure that you are getting the recommended daily allowances of the important nutrients like Protein, Carbs, Fats, etc., and your body will be sufficiently fueled for the performance you expect! If you need any direction on how to start, I'd love to help!

Again, congratulations...please keep us all posted on your progress!!

Sharly

• Completed C25K April 2012
    • 51 year old female, who spent most of my adult life obese - now 65 lbs. lighter and looking for new activities

• Will participate in any event that has a finisher's medal - I'm in it for the bling!
    • Currently following a weight training program, Jamie Eason's LiveFit through bodybuilding.com
    • Goal: Return to running in a few weeks stronger and better, then focus on increasing speed
    • Currently sidelined by health concern - no strenuous activity until speicalist visit June 14th
  • ImagoDei Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 17, 2009
    8. Feb 25, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to reina43)
    New Beginings

Reina,

It's good to get a physical too.  At first I suffered from recurring shin splints.  After a routine physical, I found out my Vitamin D was nearly depleted!  The doc prescribed Vitamin D and my shin splints vanished.  I still have to be careful to train smarly, and I do wear support shoes (Brooks Ariel), but I don't get shin splints the way I used to.  I was really surprised about the Vit D since I was out in the sun a lot (ie, running!).  Don't give up on yourself!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...