Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16334 Views 63 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2012 9:28 PM by deanscox 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
deanscox Pro 107 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2012 1:52 PM

Wanna Watch A 53 Year Old Lunatic Amuse Himself With The C25K Program?

I recently started the C25K program that will put me on a schedule to run my first race since I was a VERY crappy, high school cross country runner in Lynden and Port Angeles, WA in the mid '70's. I was SO EMBARRASSED, even the PA women's JV team used to kick my ***....but like I said, I was a no talent, suckrunner...and the PA teams under Coach Bruce Webster were very good.

I am 53, 6' 3" and 185 lbs ( I was 6' 1" and 115 lbs in those days) and haven't really exercised since then. My 9 weeks of plodding will deliver me to the starting line of the Deena Kastor 5K that is a portion of the 27th "Great Race" in Agoura, CA on Saturday, March 24, 2012. My goal is to complete at least 1 organized 5K per month for each of the folllowing 12 months.  I guess I better get busy and select April and May's runs as well. 

I have found that I can't just go out and exercise just for exercise's sake...too boring. So I set a goal, and so far it seems to be making a difference - I have the motivation - pretty sick, huh?  Can't seem to exercise for the health of it, but I can set an arbitrary goal, and bingo!...I find myself lacing up my running shoes.

So, this morning I finished the second week of the program. The first week was not bad, this week has been harder pain-wise but my cardio response is marginally better. My knees have been on fire this week for about an hour after I run...the best thing I can compare it to is like having a toothache in my knees and thighbones, but it goes away and does not hinder the rest of my daily activities. The first couple of times, I iced both knees for about 30 minutes and took some "vitamin I" but I don't want to take anything I don't have to...so today I cold turkeyed it and just went with the ice....no Ibuprofen. I think I will feel the tenderness for a little longer, but it is tolerable.

Also, what is fascinating (to me, at least) that living bodies are the only machines that will repair themselves and actually get stronger when you work them. Yes, yes, I know... cyborgs are, and singularity is, coming....but for now I am running this experiment on myself to see if I can take this likker and wine drinking, butter and meat loving, carcass and slowly work it back into shape and "run" 12 races in 12 months. I am guessing that if I finish my first 5K in an hour, I will be really impressed with myself. What will also be FANTASTIC is that I will get a PW and PR at the very same time!

I will continue to report here as a convenient repository for my musings, and my own amusement. DC

• Labsrus2 Expert 51 posts since
    Mar 25, 2011

Keep it going.

I am the same age but was slightly larger in size, close to 240 pounds for a 6'1" frame.  Now I am close to 200 pounds.  I had a goal of running one 5 k a month last year and ran a few races last year.  This year I have already signed up for a 5k in April and a 10k in May along with the Chase Corporate Challenge in May.

I started the c25k program lasst March and if you stick to it you will make it.

I also like to enjoy a adult beverage.  But I have cut back and have worked towards a better diet to improve my overall health.

Way too may friends and co-workers having health problems to no take care of myself

good luck

I like my Lab Black just like my coffee

Corporate Challenge 5K May 22, 37 minutes 11 seconds

Fathers Day 5K, 31 minutes 55 seconds

Seneca Zoo 5K Cross Country Race, 31 minutes 25 seconds

Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 2.5 mile, 22 minutes 20 seconds

Spring Forward 2.5 Mile, 28 minutes 8 seconds

Rochester 5k 30 minutes 20 seconds

Lilac 10 k 1 hour 8 minutes

Corporate Challange 3.5 mile, 34 minutes 10 seconds

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010

If your knees are bothering you check out Chi Running and see if that helps. 

Also, make sure you have shoes that are supporting your feet properly.

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

DC, Congrats on conceiving a vision and going for it.

It looks like you are running at an intensity that is too hard for you right now---it is why all these little injuries are popping up. What you are doing is not making you healthier----injuries aren't health. I suggest that you get a heart rate monitor and use it to keep yourself in an aerobic zone of 180-age and below at the most (I'll put some links below to information about this). What will happen, is you're going to have to walk a little to stay in that aerobic zone, maybe even walk all the time, until you get healthier and fitter. Then you will running everything, and faster and faster. The faster you get at this heart rate, the more endurance you will have, and the healthier you will be (it increases the probabability of remaining injury free). Think long term. You want to build slowly, and let your body determine the speed you're going to go at. Right now, your body is telling you are going too hard----injuries.

Take care.

--Jimmy

links:

low HR training forum

180-age aerobic running

MAF test

• hegnessevents.com Pro 58 posts since
    Dec 9, 2011

Keep up the good work Dean! You'll get there, just be sure and keep an eye on your form and your shoes. Your body will get used to running and adapt itself as you progress, but like Jimmy said be careful about overtraining.

Home of the City Challenge Urban Race! http://hegnessevents.com/

Pasadena, CA March 3, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/pasadena-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-pasadena-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Huntington Beach, CA April 13, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/huntington-beach-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-huntington-beach-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Santa Barbara, CA May 4, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/santa-barbara-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-santa-barbara-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Big Bear Lake, CA June 22, 2013 http://www.active.com/running/big-bear-ca/city-challenge-urban-race-big-bear-ca-5k-and-half-marathon-run-walk-2013

Hegness Events Twitter http://twitter.com/hegnessevents

Hegness Events Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hegnessevents

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011

Good stuff Dean.  Keep going.  If you're interested, I take the joint supplement Move Free Advanced everyday for my knees.  It works well for me.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

Dec 9, 2011
  • quikyerp Pro 82 posts since
    Apr 13, 2011

I'm currenly in my early 20s. It's going to be an adventure if this is what I have to look forward to in my 50s!

Dec 9, 2011
1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points