Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2278 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2012 11:20 AM by Jasko123 RSS
edensacres Pro 197 posts since
Jun 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 10, 2012 5:24 AM

Nutrition Basics

I am a new runner, beginning prep for my first half marathon.  Can you point me in the direction of some good web links, or books, that can give me an overview of how nutrition can help me take the next step? 

I am a vegetarian, but any articles will do!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jan 10, 2012 3:14 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Nutrition Basics

Hi Stephanie,

Check out Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes--Ryan

Performance Nutrition for Runners -Fitzgerald

and Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners

Hope this helps and best of luck in your training!

• Scotty670 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    2. Jan 28, 2012 2:51 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Nutrition Basics

Thanks for the information. It is so hard to pick the right food

Scotty

• Rund3 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 1, 2012
    3. Feb 6, 2012 11:58 AM (in response to edensacres)
    Nutrition Basics

Hi Stephanie!

It's totally doable to be a vegetarian and a successful distance runner, as long as you get those all-important vitamins and minerals (i.e. iron and all the B vitamins!) that we might miss from animal products. I really stress iron and the B vitamins, because a lack of those could be among the first reasons why your performance could suffer somewhere down the road. I am always inspired by elite distance runners who have embraced vegetarianism (and even fruitarianism!), because they really prove that we don't need meat in order to survive and be active.  One is Scott Jurek, one of the best ultramarathoners in the world. Read his bio here on his website.  Another elite marathoner, Michael Arnstein, is a fruitarian. He has improved his running dramatically ever since he eliminated animal products from his diet. He has a LOT of great info on his website. I don't know if I advocate fruitarianism but it's inspiring nonetheless. 

Good luck!

www.rund3.net

My running website!

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    4. Feb 6, 2012 3:00 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Re: Nutrition Basics

Following on from the Vegan theme here, if you want to take more of a look into the vegan lifestyle and how to run when you are embracing the Vegan way of lide then there are lots of Vegan runners forums out there that I have always found to be more than helpful.

I myself am not a vegan but find that taking Iron and vitamin C seems to stop me feeling quite as worn down during my long summer months of training for the IronMan races that I do. Otherwise I try to eat a varied diet that covers all of my basis when it comes to vitamins and minerals. Runners world have a few goodarticles dotted around there site that focus on certain super foods if you are looking to research a specific vegetable or fruit.

2012 Fitness Goals:

Sub 37 10k

Sub 11 Ironman Tri

Blog - Brain Supplements

• bmfzo6 Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 26, 2011
    5. Feb 18, 2012 7:46 AM (in response to edensacres)
    Nutrition Basics

I have a recipe i make  use before a long race, half or better. 4 cups I use chicken stock but you can use vegetable stock. I cup wild rice, 1/4cup lentils 1/4 cup split peas. I onion, garlic. Now I put whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Maybe a can of tomatoes. salt and pepper to taste. Add water accordingly. I call this the bomb. I fix about 4 days before and have a bowl with every meal. and the last 24 hours before the race go with white rice or pasta, i try and stay away from whole grains the last day because of the fiber. In the end try all different kinds of food to see what you body reacts to. I also like a handful of chia seeds right before the start of the race. Quinoa is a good power food, but have found it sucks the flavor of out of everything. Good luck.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    6. Feb 18, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to edensacres)
    Nutrition Basics

Hi Stephanie,

Just to follow-up, look into Vemma, Vemma Thirst or some of their other products.  (All natural, from plant ingredients with a great combo of vitamins for increased energy, antioxidiant and immune system builders).  Another option that might be helpful in connection with a vegetarian lifestyle. 

Wishing you all the best with your first half!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points