Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

764 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2012 11:32 AM by Ragan P
Ragan P Rookie 2 posts since
Nov 2, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2012 2:50 AM

rib fracture

HI all,

I broke three ribs in a fall during a trail race this weekend. Any advice?

Doc says I can still run, but it was pretty painful yesterday.

Any thoughts or comments on previous experiences with this kind of injury would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ragan/

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Feb 13, 2012 5:34 AM (in response to Ragan P)
    rib fracture

I wore a compression like thing around my chest that helped, sneezing and laughing hurt like hell.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,162 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Feb 13, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to Ragan P)
    rib fracture

Your doc says it's OK because a rib injury is one of the easiest to run with, for many reasons:

(1) You have nothing to gain by sitting around. Whatever tiny amount of pain you save now, you will pay for in lost fitness later.

(2) Any other exercise or cross training is likely to involve the ribs as much or more, and be just as painful.

(3) Keeping yourself moving will help to increase healing circulation and "model" the repair of your ribs and surrounding tissue, so you are less likely to experience secondary issues later.

(4) You are going to sneeze and cough anyway, no matter what you do.

(5) It will help increase your pain threshold, one of the most important mental roadblocks on your way to being a successful competitive runner.

There are more reasons, even some for not running, but they are far outweighed by these advantages. One caution I would emphasize is to avoid any kind of running that increases your risk of aggravating your injury with bad footing or another slip and fall, at least until you have a month or so of healing under your belt.

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points