Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1680 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2012 9:07 AM by Ipull400watts RSS
AndeeMedal Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 14, 2011 12:37 PM

Vegans and Vegan Wanna-be's...

Hi.  I've been a runner for over 20 years and a vegan almost as long.  I have been loosely following Brendan Brazier's Thrive diet and using Vega Sport for pre-run hydration.  I have also been using Plant Fusion as well as Amazing Grass for post-run protein recovery.  Just looking for fellow runners who also maintain plant-based nutrition for their training/fitness regimen.  Would LOVE to hear from like-minded athletes who upold a cruelty-free lifestyle as part of their daily routine.  I am only cruel to myself when I set out to do a 9-mile tempo run in 80 degree weather and "hummus" humidity, no water or electrolyte replacement, and end up doing 11.5 miles! 

ps  I sprinkle Chia seeds on everything!!!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    1. Nov 6, 2011 4:36 AM (in response to AndeeMedal)

My friend was a vegan and was not anymore after he was in the hosposital for very low blood iron which drained his energy and he fainted.

• AmyAthletiCa Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2011
    2. Nov 13, 2011 10:45 AM (in response to AndeeMedal)

Definitely being a vegan is good for everybody and not only for athletes.  It makes us feel better and stronger  when we do our sports or other activities.I

• SheWentForALittleRun Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 30, 2010
    3. Nov 29, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to AndeeMedal)

LARBARS!! Lots (most) are vegan and gluten free! There are even mini packages of them (2-3 bites worth) that are great for fitting into a fuel belt.

Also on my list:

-Braggs (good source of B12)

-Nutritional Yeast

-Quinoa is my favorite pre-race meal...along with tempeh (I try to avoid soy when I can)

-Justin's Nut Butter- they are great replacements for energy "shots" if you will....all types of flavors and great (organic) energy

-I put my own brew of green tea and agave in my fuel belt (don't like all the sugar and dyes in the gatorades)

-If you don't already have one - invest in a dehydrator- I make loads of dried apples, mangoes and kiwi

...I will brainstorm more - I would also love to hear about more of your nutritional creations......hope this helps!

heather

• Ipull400watts Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009
    4. Feb 21, 2012 9:07 AM (in response to AndeeMedal)

I am a vegan ultra distance athlete who consumes a primarily raw diet. It has  been working very well for me

BS Nutrition

www.WhiteLineCoaching.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...