Skip navigation

3159 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2012 7:10 PM by Hckyprnt RSS
FourthLiner Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 16, 2012 7:14 AM

What's up??

looks like blazers, grundys and wintersport royals are struggling. very few if any playoff bound teams. what's up with that? are people getting finally getting wise and driving a little farther to go to ice dogs and quakers? those clubs seem to have playoff teams in every division from pee wee on up. it's nice to see chester cunty and lehigh valley in the mix. bazers AA is no surprise as they are very young but what happened to gundys pee wee aa bantam a and bantam aa? all successful past few years and all non playoff this year. same with royals, playoffs last year and 9th place this year. and blazers pwaa missed playoffs as well after being a powerhouse last year. also the wildcats usually rank in all the midget divisions and only one top four team there.

things that make you go hmmmmmmm

• imthechief Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 29, 2010
    1. Feb 16, 2012 7:42 AM (in response to FourthLiner)
    What's up??

You forgot the Delaware Ducks. No need to field a good team when you go to Nationals anyway. They don't have any playoff teams either in the older age groups.

• Johngage Amateur 30 posts since
    Oct 10, 2003
    2. Feb 16, 2012 9:03 AM (in response to FourthLiner)
    What's up??

Fourth Liner,

You are really hung up on this. What is your angle? What is your point?

You left out that the ice dogs bant AA was not very good this year and they suffered a loss of players to other organizations.

Is this some early recruiting?

I guess like the economy, things are cyclical and players/parents who's main intent is to be on playoff bound teams will go to other places. The player pool is shrinking so you would have to say the talent pool is also.

• Hockeyforthekids Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Feb 16, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to FourthLiner)
    What's up??

Whats up???   HUMMMMMMMMMM

Their are some differances between the teams in the Bucks County Area vs. The area in which the Quakers play. How many Rinks are with in the general area of the Quakers? Bucks county has Hatfield, Bucks County Skating, Wintersport, OYR, Warwick, NE Skate Zone, and not to mention the many in house programs and light travel programs out there. I beleive that the light travel and the in house teams have grown two fold do to the economic times we are in. All the clubs and orginizations have had or continue to have teams that are "in the hunt". I think you should think more about the kids and the coaching they are getting and what life leassons are being taught. By the way which club does you player play for?

• Ace High Amateur 34 posts since
    Nov 10, 2006
    5. Feb 21, 2012 6:56 AM (in response to FourthLiner)
    Re: What's up??

Your post is searching at best, rambling at worst. Are you making a point about coaching? in PWAA a few of the teams you mention have not had coaching changes. Is it about the kids? Remember that TII can have dramatic shifts in team ability year by year with the movement upward of just a few players. If it is about rinks (sorry, clubs), I will certainly agree that there are some that are on auto-pilot when it comes to putting forth a program that is attractive and a learning experience for the player - not simply a 'privelege' to be a part of. Other rinks (sorry, clubs) are sliding into oblivion by just neglecting the fact that programs need maintenence and updating. I have trouble signing away 2G's when I'm filling out deformed 15th generation xerox's and the evals are a mess. I would not be surprised to see 'light travel' teams - with their lower cost and shorter distances ($5/gal gas?) - gaining appeal. Save the dollars for clinics.

Try to narrow down your question or comment and you may get a better thread.

• juniorparent Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    6. Feb 21, 2012 9:31 AM (in response to FourthLiner)

This is not complicated....the Blazers played PWA last year, the ID BAA is not their team from last year, the Senators did not have a BAA team last year.

• 4horseman Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010
    7. Feb 21, 2012 2:24 PM (in response to FourthLiner)

Maybe the Quakers perform there evals more accurately and efficiently than other rinks (sorry, clubs). The light travel aspect is very evident at warwick where they don't even attempt to use the reveloution as a feeder program for the wildcats.

• Hckyprnt Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 18, 2009
    8. Feb 21, 2012 3:53 PM (in response to FourthLiner)

What is wrong is you have alot of coaches who are parents. Some not all favor their own kid. Blame the clubs to continue to allow this to happen. As a club if they ran an efficient and respectable club, you will attract the right people. If a club doesnt warrant to keep up with doing the right thing, you will always have problems. What I have seen over the years is its all about the kids. But parents and even the people running the club tend to forget that. The NJYHL does it right by having tryouts. Some kids will get cut,sorry Johnny. The level of play will become more competative and equal to a degree. The DVHL however has evaluations. Once you sign up, congrats you are on a team. The major problem there is now you are relying on the club to place your kid on the right team. Here is where politics tends to get elevated. Some parents kids will get placed on the wrong team because the coach/club doesnt like the parent. Ive seen it more than once and the only one getting screwed is the kid. Some clubs tend to do it right by placing the kids in the appropiate team. Again, as long as the club is looking out for what is best for the kids ,the parents will follow. You will have your parent who thinks their kid is the next Claude Girioux. They eventually move on or continue to complain. Like I said if the club,with support of their rink, continues to provide a great experience/enviroment,everything ussually falls into place. Politics are everywhere,but with the right vision first from the rink to the in-house programs up to the travel programs,the kids will gain the most. So the next time your curious about a certain club,visit the rink itself. Do they keep their website updated? Do they continue to provide new programs for the atoms on up? Do they run tournaments? If you want to point fingers take a ride to Old York Road Rink,then take a ride out to Red Bank. You tell me where you would like your kid to play. Yes they are both in different areas and most are limited to travel. How about Iceworks and/or Iceline. Two top notch rinks that provide quality service. Why do you think they have quad rinks? So as long as your club president continues to allow parent coaches to favor their own kid your pissing your money away.

• Practical Sam Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    9. Feb 21, 2012 6:51 PM (in response to Hckyprnt)

Um . . . after driving all the way to Red Bank I would want my kid to play at Old York Road.  It's dirty and nasty, but at least it's not an hour and a half away.

• Hckyprnt Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 18, 2009
    10. Feb 21, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to FourthLiner)

hey Practical Sam,think practical...all I was implying was to compare the two rinks,not the distance. At Old york Road,your lucky if the zamboni works between games.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...