Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5385 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 8:55 PM by mpsfamily Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 22, 2012 2:34 PM (in response to mpsfamily)
    Fasting and running?

I certainly agree with the comments about different types of fasting and possible benefits (depending on individual circumstances, situations, risk factors and so on). 

It was not my intention to totally disregard the practice on an overall basis.  It may be fine for some for a couple of days.  In fact, my mother does some sort of 24-hour juice fast every three months or so and she believes that it assists to flush the toxins from her body, so hopefully it is of some assistance to her and others.  She is in her late 60's and in great physical condition and can safely utilize short fasting experiments.

My point is that combining running with fasting (for an extended period of time) might be dangerous and certainly would not be recommended for most due to the obvious, potential health complications.  I am not closed-minded to the idea on a limited, monitored basis.  I am not a candidate for attempting any type of fast because I am severly hypoglycemic and have to utilize strict dietary methods to store more glycogen. 

Hope this better clarifies my position.  I do understand different diets and nutrition methods may or may not be appropriate based upon personal considerations.

• RCS1977 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 24, 2012
    16. Feb 24, 2012 5:50 AM (in response to mpsfamily)
    Fasting and running?

I am in with Jasko123, a Hypoglycemic Runner. So you see why  we are partial. When I saw this thread, I surley had to read up. I agree with NOT doing this for a prolonged period of time. I think you could end up doing some major damage to your health. If you are a lean runner and not eating enough or the correct food for your type of workouts, it could deplete your Blood Glucose levels, not pretty. I know 1st hand. Not from fasting but from not eating correctly for so many years around my runs.   Fasting and working out is usually for people with more stored body fat , not for leaner people. That is why many trying to loose weight do it first thing in the morning. I would not recommend this if you do not know what you are doing or if you have underlying health conditions.

• apuramedia Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 15, 2012
    17. Apr 15, 2012 4:34 PM (in response to born2run621)
    Fasting and running?

That's right! I totally agree with you born2run61.

Hey mpsfamily, I understand that there can be useful benefits in fasting, but is it all worth it? To be honest, it's my first time to hear someone tried going on fasting while running. You need food to keep you energized so I don't quite understand how it all works.

How was it? Did you feel any bad side effects? How about the good side of it? Were there any changes/improvements in your skills?

apuramedia

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points