Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2876 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 6:22 AM by BOSNPM
ydiez Pro 135 posts since
Nov 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2012 7:20 AM

getting back on track

Hi all,

After training quite hard for a half marathon and running it succesfully two and a half weeks ago, I got a little "derailed" and need some advice on how to get back on track.

So far eighteen days have gone by.

- The first 4 days I spent resting, did some light swimming, no running.

- The following week I resumed my usual running (about 30 miles in the whole week), slow runs, no speedwork. Everything was fine (except for some very minor muscle problems) but then:

- I caught some sort of stomach virus and have been grounded (and, to be frank, "bathroomed" ) since then.

I am now feeling much better and want to start running again as soon as possible. I realise it will still take a couple of days, but the thing is... there is this race i would like to go...

The race in question is a half marathon that takes place near where I live, my father in law is one of the organisers so I really would like to attend. There is no problem if my time is not good, but I would still like to give my best under the circumstances. What training would you recomend?

I assume I will have another 10 days before race day and my main concern is having regained as much as my running shape as possible by then.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Feb 22, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to ydiez)
    getting back on track

I would just run it for the fun and to support your father in law.  You have lost some fitness for sure, so run it on perceived effort.  I would run it at 70% or so if you feel better great.  I don't think you are going to gain back as much as you lost.  Just run it easy and enjoy it.  You hit your goal a few weeks ago!  Good luck

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    2. Feb 22, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to ydiez)
    getting back on track

Assuming you were healthy you wouldn't get much out of trying to train this soon before a race.  Given your recent condition I'd say work most on getting healthy again because that's going to make the most difference.  I usually take 2 weeks to recover from a half during which I only walk or do up to 5k slow runs.  Besides, fitness levels can be held pretty steady for several weeks on minimal effort before they start to fade again. 

I agree that on race day you'll have to at least start a little easier to see how you're doing but don't expect to set a personal record.  There's no pressure to perform except from yourself so enjoyment is the goal here.

Andy

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Feb 22, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to ydiez)
    getting back on track

I guess I am a little confused about the total amount of time between the two half-marathon events.  I agree with other suggestions and can only offer the obvious...just pay attention to your body.  Honestly, if racing the season is important, I would not risk an injury or other setbacks due to attempting events too closely together. 

In the alternative, if a lighter running schedule with more emphasis on cross-training in the coming few weeks assists with preparation, that is great.  Also, it is fine to make a choice at the last minute in the best interests of your overall health and feelings about preparation.  I have been unable to complete numerous events in the past (due to one reason or another), but was still active in the gathering or cause.

I think it is perfectly okay to plan on the race, with a back-up solution to volunteer or donate to the event.  That way, you are supporting your family member's efforts while also protecting your adequate recovery and future running objectives. 

Wishing you all the best.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    4. Feb 22, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    getting back on track

Absolutely right!  You're under no pressure.  You can go with a light heart and get an easy LSD run in or opt for being useful to the event.  It's all good! 

If you push yourself, and feel like you have to perform when your body is just not ready, you can do yourself a substantial injury  and regret it for awhile at your leisure.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Feb 23, 2012 11:39 AM (in response to ydiez)
    getting back on track

You're being smart about recovery. Just do some aerobic running until the race, and what will be will be. Good luck and have fun!

--Jimmy

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    9. Mar 5, 2012 6:22 AM (in response to ydiez)
    getting back on track

Sounds like a smart great race, good job!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...