Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1012 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 27, 2012 1:55 PM by Jasko123 RSS
RCS1977 Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2012 7:54 AM

Hypoglycemic Runners best Pre-run snack?

New here....I am a Hypoglycemic (non-diabetic) Runner. 20-25 miles a week, but been taking it easly for about 2 weeks since I have been diagnosed.( I was having black outs and tingly , faint feelings after my runs.) Doc did Glucose Test and there it was, a 53. (Anything below a 70 prior to excercise is a Red Zone for anyone active) So, trying to get back into it. Seeing a Dietician/Nurtitionalist next week , will see what she says.

For all of you Hypogly Runners out there, what is your best Pre-run snack ?  I here Jellys,Beans, Goos , and Sugary Sports drinks are not good for peeps 

like us because we crash. 

So what gets you thru? And what do you eat right after.......

Thank you

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 27, 2012 1:55 PM (in response to RCS1977)
    Hypoglycemic Runners best Pre-run snack?

Almond butter seems to work okay or frozen blueberries with yogurt and granola.  I always keep a few pieces of hard candy with me and I basically switched to eating smaller snacks throughout the day as opposed to larger meals.  I am very cautious about sports drinks...they can be unsettling to the stomach and some cause sugar spikes.  Try mixing a little bit of honey with bottled water or carry glucose tablets with you. 

Also, increase your protein and fiber intake and combine it with moderate carbs and healthy fats.  Usually, I have beef jerkey and pretzels after long runs, for example, and I also eat a lot of fish (especially salmon and tuna).  Of course, try to limit any refined flour or sugar products because the type and overall digestion of carbs makes a big difference.

It can be a tricky condition to manage, but make sure you always have something with you (carbs & fat) that you could eat quickly if necessary.  Really, even peanut butter crackers would be fine if symptoms came on quickly. 

Wishing you all the best!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points