Skip navigation

2997 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2012 9:39 AM by Tjsteck22 RSS
21mamba Expert 52 posts since
Jun 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2012 6:18 PM

Finishing?

I need tips to finishing at the basket. I am probably the worst finisher at the basket in America. I get to hoop and just blow the the lay up. I don't think i got blocked once this season but i did miss A LOT of layups like i was 4 for 40 i think. I need help bad, got any tips?

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    1. Feb 13, 2012 9:23 AM (in response to 21mamba)
    Finishing?

Get your eyes on the rim, and as far as layups go, aim for the near high corner of the box on the backboard. And, above all, make sure you are practicing short-range shots along with other stuff you might be working on.

• DukeTrujillo7 Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 19, 2012
    2. Feb 19, 2012 6:15 PM (in response to 21mamba)
    Finishing?

Their are A LOT of things that could effect finishing at the rim, maybe your too short with the motion, maybe your trying to get the shoot off too far or too close to the goal.

The best advice is to watch some Professional videos, maybe even some videos of your favorite player finishing at the rim, and just try to get the fundamentals into your game, after you get the fundamentals, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Practice makes perfect...  WRONG, Perfect practice makes perfect.

• Rithum Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 25, 2012
    3. Feb 25, 2012 12:47 AM (in response to 21mamba)
    Finishing?

Never drive to the basket I recommend you drive to your scoring spot. Also you can drive and perform a jump stop at the blocks. Remember it's a lay up not a shot when you are in motion towards the basket. I hope this helps you.

• JNugBballer14 Pro 101 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    4. Feb 25, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to 21mamba)
    Finishing?

Finishing at the basket is a skill that takes mastery. Here are some tips to help you improve:

• Make sure your body is square to the basket (square-up) that way you take a good angle.
    • DO NOT BE AFRIAD OF CONTACT!!! - Many times players will miss the shot down low because they are anticipating someone coming from behind and blocking them or fouling them. Just go up for the shot as you would if you were the only one on the court and remember that if you do this, when there is no contact you will make the lay-up, and if there is contact you will get to the foul line.
    • Do not force it! - If you don't have the shot, kick it out. You are probably missing so many shots down low because you may be forcing them a lot. Forced shots are not good shots.
    • Go up STRONG! - You will never make a shot if you fade away from the basket down low. You need to go up strong with two hands and with your body so that you give yourself a good chance to make the bucket, even if there is contact.
    • Post Moves - Begin to practice and learn how to use some post moves such as the Up-and-Under and Drop-Step.
    • Practice! - Practice makes perfect. If you practice your shots down low and your finishing skills down low (square-up, go up strong, take good shots, don't fear contact) you will become better at it. Some drills to help you with this are the Mikan Drill, practicing post moves, and just basic shooting and layups under/near the basket.

If you follow these tips you should be great at finishing in no time! Good luck and I hope this helps.

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better, and your better is best." ~Tim Duncan

* "Dare to be great." *

"Hard work, a positive attitude, confidence, and a smile are the keys to success."

Basketball is life....#14

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    5. Feb 28, 2012 6:55 PM (in response to 21mamba)
    Finishing?

I was just like you at one point, but I downloaded Taylor allan's scoring secrets special and for some reason i have gotten quicker and better at everything. Also, use your eyes to sell the fake, the better you are, the more room you will get, and focus on the rim and getting away from your defender.

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

• PGhardworkADED Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 26, 2011
    6. Sep 12, 2012 4:56 PM (in response to 21mamba)
    Finishing?

I am seinor in hs and am the starting pg for my team. I am small as well, but I dont mind getting blocked. Usually the guy who blocks me will block it out of bounds. Big deal, still my ball. If you get a step on your guy then just extend your arm and use your finger tips. Jump high up and shield your self from the defender. Shoot high but soft off the glass. Believe in yourself and good things will happen.

Keep ballen

• Tjsteck22 Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 17, 2012
    7. Oct 17, 2012 9:39 AM (in response to 21mamba)
    Re: Finishing?

Try to jump,as straight up as possible. Don't run full speed at the basket and throw something up. If you jump up, not stop and jump straight up, but get a good up motion you can stabilize yourself which will get you under control for the lay-up. Like what pghardworkaded said, jump high and shield from your defender. Also if you can get more halftime than the defender you can wait til he goes down, so work on your legs muscles.

Hang time! Not halftime. Sorry!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...