Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1279 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 5:47 PM by midwifemom
meznar Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2012 8:25 PM

Will I be wearing nappies for the rest of my running life?

Hello runners,  I want to know if Im alone in with this problem.. I can not run to the front gate (let alone a 5K) without wetting myself.  No matter how many times I urinate before a run.. I still manage to wee out a 'bucket full' of urine along the run without being able to maintain any control, by this i mean not stopping to urinate, but general leakage!!!  Im female, had two children (so pelvic floor has been weakened) aged 46.  HELP.. do i wear nappies, do I STOP running??  Do any other women out there suffer the same incontinence problems as me and what do you do to aleviate this very embarassing problem?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,163 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

Have you been doing Kegel exercises?

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,163 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

Kegel exercises help to strengthen the sphincter muscles, but as usual, myofascial trigger points can interfere with the proper operation of the sphincter muscles, resulting in urinary incontinence.

If you recently embarked on an exercise program, it is important to know that sudden changes in activity, as well as complications from pregnancy, can cause several core muscles to malfunction, leading to symptoms like yours. Exercises that involve hip flexion, such as running, or something as innocuous as situps, can create trigger points in pelvic and abdominal muscles, leading to muscular dysfunction and incontinence.

• ethelruns Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010

I am sorry for your problem, but thrilled to know I'm not alone! I am 54 and also only have the problem when running - usually after about 3-4 miles, but sometimes right at the beginning of a run. I am training for a half marathon and wonder how in the world I'll ever make it 13.1. I'll need a SUPER nappie!   How many kegels does one have to do to see improvement? I currently "deal with the problem" by wearing a pad.

C25K completion - July 2009

2/12/11 - 10K - 1:09:34

4/30/11 - 5K - 33:22

5/7/11 - 5K - 35:24

7/30/11 - 5K - 31:43

10/22/11 - 8K - 51:55 (very hilly!)

10/29/11 - 5K - 25:20

6/2/2012 - half marathon - 2:20:15

• midwifemom Expert 51 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011

Kegals are only going to do so much.  Yes, you should do them faithfully, as many times a day as you think of it.  At work, in the car, while watching TV, etc.  To be sure you're doing them correctly, start to pee, then stop your flow, think of the muscles involved like an elevator, sqeeze them tightly.  When you relax, gradually, and allow the flow to start again, you have done a correct Kegal.  You should do them that same way.  What you are describing is stress incontinence, and it is the result of weak pelvic floor muscles.  46, and even 54 is way too young to be dealing with this every time you exercise.  If the Kegals don't help (I'd give them 2-3 months of daily, faithful practice) I'd think about a GYN consult.

Good luck!!

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points