Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5665 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2012 6:09 AM by MSRunner1 1 2 3 Previous Next
LadyRocket66 Amateur 11 posts since
Feb 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 28, 2012 6:23 PM

Never ran before...any encouragement is welcome!

I have never ran (other than for an emergency) and would like to try it.  Any help is appreciated.  I am a 45 yo married woman who is plus size and want to work up to running (hence Couch to 5K). Looking forward to hearing from anyone!

• jattor Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2012
    1. Feb 28, 2012 6:54 PM (in response to LadyRocket66)

Im no expert just started running myself so i cant offer any real advice i would just like to say goodluck

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    3. Feb 28, 2012 7:28 PM (in response to LadyRocket66)

I started running last August at age 55.  I finished c25k in October and ran my first 5k race in November, my second 5k in January.  In two weeks I'm running my first half marathon.  The c25k program works well to get you started.  Take your time. Run at an easy pace.  Repeat any weeks that you are having problems with and keep at it. For the weight loss, keep in mind that what you eat is more important than the exercise you do.  But I find that the running helps keep me motivated to eat well.  

• ydiez Pro 140 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    4. Feb 29, 2012 12:05 AM (in response to LadyRocket66)

Welcome!

You will see that there is a lot of people here who are willing to help, I would recommend having  a look at the c25k thread and the rest of the discussions on newbie cafe and general running.

My beginners advice would be:

1) Enjoy! you will need some positive thinking and a strong will to help your body adapt to running, but if you are constant and stay positive it will come. Then you will begin to see progress and realize all that you can achieve with regular training, you are a runner now, and gettting better at it!ç

2) Look after your legs and feet. Do not overdo it and wear adequate shoes and clothes, watch out for blisters and minor sores.

3) If you can, get a running buddy or join a running club, it will help you stay motivated.

4) Count on other runners for help or advice, you are bound to hit some bumps on the road but for sure someone will already have been there.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• Jessica Reno Amateur 10 posts since
    May 7, 2009
    5. Feb 29, 2012 8:05 AM (in response to LadyRocket66)

Hey!

I started running about a year ago and love it. I am 42 and somewhat overweight but with a family and full time job, I found it hard to hit the gym like I wanted. Running gave me a way to do it when I had time, not on someone elses schedule and gave me some much needed alone time.

I did the C25K program and completed it on June 1, 2011. 

Whatever you do, first get a good pair of shoes and some moisture whicking stuff....and a good bra!

Second, take it slow.  Push yourself a little but ensure that you stretch after you work out.  ALWAYS STRETCH.

If you are doing the C25k program, don't be afraid to repeat a day...or a week. 

Happy Running,

Jess

July 4, 1999 Firecracker 5k, Pensacola Fl - 38:55 (VERY FIRST ONE)

June 26, 2011 Race for Logan 5k - Summerville, SC - 38:13 (tore hip flexor)

November 5, 2011 Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon Savannah GA, 3:23:47 (with an 8 minute stop to go to the bathroom)

March 10, 2012 Flowertown 5k - Summerville SC - 39:45

May 20, 2012 Diva Half Marathon, North Myrtle Beach, SC - 3:07.01(dropped 17 minutes+ from my first 1/2 Marathon!!)

April 28, 2013 - DIVA Half Marathon, North Myrtle Beach, SC -

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Congrats on having a vision, and going for it! Having a race as a goal makes all the difference.

Before or as you start, educate yourself about running. I tell every beginner I meet to learn what aerobic running is, about training load, rest and recover, and heart rate training.

Think about getting a heart rate monitor. What it will do for you is keep you from working out too hard, and help lessen the probability of injury or overtraining, which happens to a lot of beginners (and non- as well). Essentially, what I am saying is to think long-term. When you wear a heart rate monitor, you will be trying to stay at a certain heart rate. You might have to walk to do so--but that's okay. Eventually you won't be able to walk fast enough to keep at that heart rate, and you'll have to run. Your body will be ready then. Of course, you might be able to run and stay at that heart rate, or do a combination of walking and running. When you run aerobically, your breathing will be easy enough where you can talk without having to catch your breath. It feels real easy.

Here's a few links to get you going:

Aerobic running
    MAF tests
    180-age formula
    6-time Triathlon Champ Mark ALlen on heart rate training
    Mark Allen on Base Training
    A case study that  exemplifies how heart rate training works

There are a lot of good message boards and forums for runners out there, along with Active, like Runningahead.com and Runner's World. Lots of support and knowledge and community. Don't be alone in your journey. Keep us posted on your progress. I wish you the best.

--Jimmy

• dd64 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    8. Feb 29, 2012 12:30 PM (in response to LadyRocket66)

I have tried many times to begin the c25k program, but lacked the motivation.  This year I got a new attitude.  I decided it was time to get healthy and lose weight.  I joined WW in Jan and started c25k last night!

My advice would be to take it slow.  Don't worry about distance at the moment.  Just do the program as written and the rest will fall in place.

Good luck to us all !

"Failure Is Only The Opportunity To Begin Again More Intelligently" Henry Ford

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" Amelia Earhart

• seb34 Expert 58 posts since
    Mar 24, 2011
    10. Feb 29, 2012 3:27 PM (in response to LadyRocket66)

good luck!  i started c25k a year ago and have really loved it.  some basic advice, based on my experience:

- go slow!  everyone else has said this, but it's just really important.

- remember your goal - to find a way to stay active that you enjoy!  so don't push yourself too hard.  if you do, you run the risk of hating running and not wanting to do it again (i have done this!).  if you go at the right pace for you, you'll find it much easier to stick with it.

- get some music you enjoy, explore scenic running routes, or do something similar to help running be more fun (not that it's not fun, but sometimes i've been a little bored without my headphones or doing the same route over and over)

- sign up for a race in 3-4 months.  it helps to have a concrete goal in the future.  this definitely helped me stay motivated.  i hope you'll also find that races are really fun!  i never would have guessed (i was a total non-runner before c25k), but they tend to have a great atmosphere and many support wonderful causes.

- repeat days or weeks as needed.  i think i did week 3 for 3 weeks!  c25k is a guide, you don't have to follow it word for word.

i can't say enough about c25k.  it's an excellent program.  after i completed c25k and wanted to work on my speed, i used the same training intervals to help myself go a little faster with great results!

ALSO - i love the cat in your profile picture   gray cats are the best, i have 2.

sarah in pa

candy cane 5k, 12/8/12 36:25

historic bethelehem turkey trot, 11/24/12 37:18

turning point 5k, 10/6/12 38:38

run wild at the lehigh valley zoo 5k, 8/19/12 40:38

2012 first night resolution run 5k, 12/31/11, 37:15

children's miracle network turkey trot, 11/19/11, 35:15

haven of hope 5k, 11/5/11, 37:53

steps to safety 5k, 9/18/11, 40:03

first 5k, sue crowe memorial 5k: 7/17/11, 42:38

goal: fun!

• dd64 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    12. Mar 1, 2012 8:26 AM (in response to LadyRocket66)

I'm not a small woman either.  I'm tall...5'9 and am overweight....hence the reason for WW (smile).  I love my WW meetings.  Our leader is so much fun.  I am "busty" so running is challenge.

Tonight will be W1D2 for me.  I walked 20 min last night.  I did throw in a few jogs.  I just don't want to burn out before I get started good.  Not real sure what I want to do for exercise on non-c25k days.  I may blow the dust off my The Firm dvd's and try those.  I need some strength and toning exercises.  I feel the c25k days should be plenty of cardio.

I noticed you said "I'm looking forward to starting c25k".  Have you started yet?  You know, half the battle is just getting started!!  You can do this!!

"Failure Is Only The Opportunity To Begin Again More Intelligently" Henry Ford

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" Amelia Earhart

• luv2bhealthy Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 13, 2008
    14. Mar 1, 2012 10:21 AM (in response to LadyRocket66)

I started running using the Couch to 5k program at the same age as you are now.  I am 5'5" and was overweight.  I started out with Walk Away the Pounds and WW.  Met my goal, became a WW receptionist, and decided to pick up the pace with running.  I am now training for my first half and a sprint tri.  I also teach my own exercise classes.  I have trained in martial arts for 8 years and needed to get better cardio vascular wise for sparring; hence, running!  This program works. Even after seven years of running, I personally don't find it an easy thing.  I've had to work at it.  Some days I really like it, other days, not so much.  Several things play into how well you run - what you eat, how you feel, the weather.  There have been long stretches where I lost the motivation to run, but then I'll see a race I want to do, and I get the bug all over again.  It's kind of a love/hate relationship! 

1.  Do make sure you have proper fitting running shoes and moisture wicking socks so you avoid any foot problems.

2.  Have good music if you enjoy it.

3.  Take it outside if you can.

4.  Go slow and make it fun.

5.  As motivation, find a 5k race in your area to train for.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points