Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2274430 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 679 680 681 682 683 ... 760 Previous Next
  • tomiller97 Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    10,200. Feb 28, 2012 6:24 AM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congrats!  Thats a big goal to accomplish! 

I've got 8 more runs to go til I finally finish this C25K completely...let's hope I don't find any more excuses!!

Started C25K: Aug 4, 2010 Finished April 2012

Weight: April 2011: 330lbs

April 15, 2012: 268lbs

many excuses....more excuses...start over....

Current Status: COMPLETED 5k 34 minutes
    Recently ran 3.5miles in 35 minutes!

Races:

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/26/10 / 36:30

Race for the Cure 5k: 9/25/11 / 34:20

Ohio Tough Mudder: 4/15/12 / 4hours 15 minutes and a SUCCESSFUL FINISHER!!!!

• runblissful Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 17, 2011
    10,201. Feb 28, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

WooHoo!! JoeDadd!! Congrats!!

That Mudder run sounds a bit scary, but exciting, might have to look into it.

I just completed W1D3!! It felt good, I had good form and good breathing. I have a good route for around my house so I have no excuses, just wake up throw on my clothes and shoes and run out the door.

When I did D2 I accidentally ran for 2.5 min. Some dogs started barking right when the podcast guy was saying to walk and I missed it so I kept running, uphill!! LOL But I did fine just was like, "wow this is a long minute!"

I really want to do the 5K now I just need to find a way to pay for it, an extra 35 bucks is hard to come by, especially since gas prices just went up to $4.21!! What Happpened! It was $3.56 last time I got gas....

Anyway Cool Runnings,

Kristi

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    10,202. Feb 28, 2012 7:34 AM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congrats Joedadd!!!!!!  You're kickin' asphalt now.  Seriously, enjoy the moment and keep it up. 

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• maginaz Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    10,203. Feb 29, 2012 5:44 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello,

I've started the C25K again, I tried about 3.5 years ago but wasn't as dedicated as I should have been so the results were well, pretty predictable.  I'm at W3D2 right now, I've never been a runner, I'm a female in my late forties and my weight when I started this time was approx 220.  I'm cross training on my off days and dieting, I've been losing weight but really don't expect more than 2lbs a week at most because i want to do this healthy. 

I should finish the program in April and will do a 5k then.  I'm just curious, if there are any women out there in my weight range who have completed the program and have been able to run the distance non-stop at a pace over 4.0 mph.  Is it reasonable to think that at just over 200 lbs (i'm 5'4") I could actually run at a decent pace?  or is that a goal i should set for later at a lower weight. 

I'm really not trying to focus on a pace or time, I just want to have a realistic expectation so as not to be disappointed if I make it through in 9 weeks but still get passed by walkers, not that it would bother me, just setting expectations. 

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,204. Mar 1, 2012 6:08 AM (in response to maginaz)
    200+ Pound Club!

Continued with my running program today post c25k. I will add a quarter mile after every 3 runs until I am running 45 minutes straight then decide where to go from there. I've read that weight loss is maximized when aerobic exercise is 40 minutes and longer. In this case, 45 minutes of running and 10 minutes of walking puts me well above. I'm not sure it its true but well, who cares...it is still worth the effort.

@maginaz, I am not a female but I will take a stab at your question. 4MPH is a 15 minute mile. You should be able to do that when you are up to 5K. However, if you cannot, keep it in perspective: you are still faster than the millions of people who are still on the couch:) Also, don't worry about running non-stop. Most people will stop to pick up water along the way during a 5k at least once so don't worry about taking a walk once or twice in your routine.

Whatever you do, just keep at it.

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

• NCHulk Legend 247 posts since
    Oct 26, 2010
    10,205. Mar 2, 2012 4:40 AM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hey Guys,

I've got my computer back.  Had a hardware issue.  Anyway,  good to see newcomers,  keep it up!

I got my 5 miles yesterday and 93 miles for the month of February.  The Half Marathon is in just about two months.

Joedadd - Excellant Job!

maginaz - I agree with joedadd.  Don't worry about walking.  As you progress and build muscle you will find yourself taking less walk breaks. and as you build stamina and endurance speed will naturally pick up.

HAVE FUN!

Arthur

"It does not get easier... you get stronger"

"Once I decided quitting wasn't an option, the rest was easy." - Michele

HARD WORK - DEDICATION!!!

• ConfessionsOfAJunkFoodKid Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 3, 2012
    10,206. Mar 3, 2012 4:21 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I am new to running... well I guess I am new to working out period. I am writing a blog about my weight loss experience and I met another blogger who told me about this site. I would like to try it and see what happens. I like how there are steps and each one takes a week. I think in 9 weeks I might be able to start running. I am going to start this new venture on Monday!  Any advice?

Sep 17, 2011
    200+ Pound Club!

I did W2D2, adn ran on a trail. It was tough, uphill a lot and by th emiddle of my run my legs felt like rubber. But I turned around and kept running. I completed it and feel good. I have had a lot of energy but am very Hungry now!! I am trying to eat more lean protien (yogurt and fruit, etc) but I still feel hungy! oh well

Kristi

• bbaquero Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    10,208. Mar 3, 2012 7:39 PM (in response to runblissful)
    200+ Pound Club!

Kristi - Eating dense protein will fill you up and make you feel full for a longer period of time. I usually eat a protein bar right after a run. Funny thing is, for me on the days I run I am rarely hungry but on my off days I feel hungry all day long. Go figure!

• bbaquero Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    200+ Pound Club!

That is an awesome idea documenting your journey, ConfessionsOfAJunkFoodKid. I wish I had done that. I started C25K in August and ran my first 5K on 12/04/11. It was an awesome experience. My advice would be, if you don't think you can run any further slow your pace down. Your body can and will get there!

• bigbubbaray Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 4, 2012
    10,210. Mar 4, 2012 10:32 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Greetings everyone, it is great to find this club!  After reading some of the posts I think my story is similar to many others.  I was, once upon a time, a multi sport athlete and runner-half marathon being my best distance.  I am 6' 2" and used to compete at around 215-220 pounds.  About 2 years ago I woke up one morning and decided, after 30 plus years, I was bored with running.  So, I switched to walking which I eventually changed to napping and competitive Stratolounger surfing. 

Now, at 57, I am 250 pounds, hypertensive, and get winded changing my mind.  I have come to realize 1) the decision to quit running has had a profound effect on my physical and mental wellbeing  and 2) I miss running. I have decided to start running with my first goal being a 5k in 2 months and a longer goal of running a 10k by July  31st. Today is my first day training, I will see if I can stretch without hurting myself .

BubbaR

• maginaz Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    10,211. Mar 4, 2012 2:10 PM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

joedadd wrote:

@maginaz, I am not a female but I will take a stab at your question. 4MPH is a 15 minute mile. You should be able to do that when you are up to 5K. However, if you cannot, keep it in perspective: you are still faster than the millions of people who are still on the couch:) Also, don't worry about running non-stop. Most people will stop to pick up water along the way during a 5k at least once so don't worry about taking a walk once or twice in your routine.

Whatever you do, just keep at it.

Thanks Joedadd, I'm sticking with it.  I completed wk 3 today and felt good. 

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    10,212. Mar 4, 2012 5:19 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hello everyone,  been off on travel the past couple of weeks  (Bangkok, Thailand and Hanoi, Vietnam).  Managed to maintain weight on the trip - East Asia is great place to eat and not gain weight.  I also managed to get out most morning and walk/jog anywhere between 5 to 8 Km a day.  Managed to get to Lumpini Park a great place to get a morning jog in.  Also got to see the locals out in the morning practicing TAI Chi.  Saw the Monitor lizards as well.  In Hanoi, walked around a lake that started out as bomb crater from the '72 bombings.  Not nearly as nice as Lumpini park but still nice place to walk around.  According to my back of envelope calculations (and iphone app) I managed almost 50 Km during the trip  (48.7 to be exact).  This doesn't count all the general walking around.  Managed to get out yesterday and did 8+ K around the local area and get back into jogging without needing to look down all the time to avoid stepping in potholes etc.  We take thing like relatively smooth and hole free trails and sidewalks for granted. 

Getting ready for my first race of the season this coming sunday 11 March - St. Patricks day 8k in Wash D.C.  I shooting to be under 1 hour for this event.  I'm working toward 1/2 marathon in May  (Marine Corp Historic Half - this will be fourth time I've done this race).

happy trails everyone!

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• joedadd Pro 122 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10,213. Mar 5, 2012 3:41 AM (in response to Wideguy)
    200+ Pound Club!

I ran a hilly course on Saturday without warming up enough and my legs have been screaming since. I was able to get my run in this morning but took it slow on my sore muscles. Moral of the story, warm up and stretch.

Way to go maginaz!

Weight:

12/18/2011 - 280 LBS

10/2/2012 - 248 LBS

Short term goal - 10/31/2012 - 241 LBS

Intermediate Goal - 230 LBS by 12/31/2012

Long term goal - 190 LBS - Sometime in the distant future.

Running: Complete Broad Street Run May 2013

Sep 17, 2011
    10,214. Mar 5, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to joedadd)
    200+ Pound Club!

finished W2D3 today, did good, and it did help to eat a protien (hard boiled eggs) right after the run. I wonder if when I beginning running farther and faster again I will also begin feeling less hungry when I run.

have a great day everyone

Kristi

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...