Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 3:13 PM by SheraShines
SheraShines Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2012 11:04 AM

New runner advice

I'm 54 and started running the middle of December.  In the gym I can run 2.25 miles in 30 minutes.  But if I try to run outside, even on a track, all I can do is 1/4 mile and breathing too hard to go any further.  What is the deal?

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    1. Mar 5, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to SheraShines)
    New runner advice

What is the outside temperature?b  Is this a warm or cold climate?  Either could cause issues for someone who hasnt been running for very long.  

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    2. Mar 5, 2012 3:05 PM (in response to SheraShines)
    New runner advice

When you run outside, slow down - then slow down some more.  See how that feels. 

I started running on a treadmill and wasn't too sure about running outside when I finally decided I needed to go outdoors to prepare for a race.  The hardest thing I had to learn was setting a comfortable pace.  I always started out too fast and got winded.  I blamed it on the hills, but truth was, I was just trying to go faster than my body could sustain without the treadmill belt doing some of the work for me.  When I was able to force myself to really slow down, I found I could run the distance, whatever that was. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...