Skip navigation

1381 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 8:05 AM by hoopsterscott RSS
uconn14 Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 2, 2012 4:19 PM

How do you drive to the basket with power?

When i try to drive, i can never get straight to the hoop at a good angle. any tips on how to drive effectively with power? i see other guys driving with no problem, but for some reason i can't go straight to the hoop. anything is appreciated!

• Do3w3 Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 4, 2012
    1. Mar 5, 2012 12:24 PM (in response to uconn14)

Go fast, if the defenders aren't stable don't be afraid to use a little force by putting your shoulders down, if they are stable you commit a foul if you do so, so try a eurostep. Try to do alot of guarded layups in training with heavy D to train this

• hoopsterscott Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2012
    2. Mar 13, 2012 8:05 AM (in response to uconn14)

Do3 is right in that you have to be fast, but I would say you dont want to rush. You still have to analyze quickly not only where your defender is but where the others are as well.. The biggest point I can make is that you have get low, use your upper legs and rearend muscles to explode into your first step.. Sometimes all you need is that half-step advantage and you've got your defender beat..Rare is the occasion where you're going to beat your defender so cleanly unless he gives up that you've got a wide-open layup...Help defenders will rotate and therein lies another split-second decision you will make...Can I get off a good shot? is one of my teammates cutting to the goal for a dish-off? Or do I have a good shooter spotting up I can kick it out to? Even in pick-up games, these are things you have to consider. Only in 1-on-1, will you have a lot of time to dribble and contemplate your next move.  If you are doing a lot of dribbbling in team games, it will be hard for you to drive, Player movement and ball movement are key to offensive success...If your defender is backed off of you, you gotta knock down some jumpers to make him respect you. If you've got the ball in triple attack position, and he has one foot forward, attack his back and brush his shoulder with your inside shoulder as you go by...This is called "V-ing" the defender and it will help you seal him behind you and give you that half-step advantage i was talking about earlier

Being able to finish thru contact is another key (good point again, Do3), definitely recommend practicing shots where you know you will get contact, practice runners and floaters with each hand in the lane, and don't be afraid to go for bank shots when the angle of your drive allows that. Using the hopstep and the eurostep can help you get that edge as well, I prefer the hopstep because it allows me to go off two feet and that can help you power your shot through the defender..

There's just a few tips, hope this helps

Scott

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points