Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

704 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 5:34 AM by sprockets1
sprockets1 Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 5, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2012 11:18 AM

New to running, and already injured..NEED ADVICE..

hey there i am new to running and i am into my second week of the 'couch to 5k' and i think my knee might be injured.. i say think because it looks like theres fluid building up around it but its not sore...but is a bit stiff,,, is this usual or should i take action????... (i should mention its my second attempt at running and last time i ended up with very swollen ankles.. and had to take 2 weeks off work because i could barely walk..........)

so im being ultra careful this time... can anyone tell me what im doing wrong please... or if they have had as much trouble as i'm having....!!!

my history is that im 41 and have not really ever exercised,, so i am pretty unfit altough not over weight or anything..HELP PLEASE..

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    1. Mar 5, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to sprockets1)

First and foremost, it would be in your best interest to get medical clearance by having a physical.  Only because you say you havent really excercised.  Just starting at the age of 41 calls for a little bit of caution to make sure that any risk factors for heart disease are addressed.   Second, if you are already getting injured, you may either need to start out with a walking program for a bit of time or you may have an imbalance that is causung you issues.  Have you been fitted for running shoes at a running store?  This is very important as the staff will analyze your form and determine which shoes are right for you.  Also know that ice can be a runners best friend.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

• BradW44 Pro 119 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    4. Mar 5, 2012 2:24 PM (in response to sprockets1)

Thats a good start!  As far as a walking program goes, what I am really trying to emphasize is that you need to start slow.  really slow.  If you do to much too fast, you will end up injured.  When you end up injured, youre not very likely to continue doing it.  Start out with something like the c25k which is taylored for someone like you. Remember, you can always do less than the program calls for.  Everyone is different and needs to follow their own pace.  If you get fatigued or feel pain, stop and walk, thats how we all started out!

A s i have gotten older, grass has become a dear friend to my running.  not only is it much more forgiving, the unevenness of the terrain will help to strengthen your ankles and knees. 

Brad

www.RunnersPlan.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points