Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1319 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 5:48 AM by patriciaharris7
Sulli9999 Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2011 2:00 PM

Keeping toes warm

Hi...Does anyone have any recommendations of how to keep toes warm in the winter?  I'm having difficulty with cold air going through the mesh and my toes becoming numb.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Dec 20, 2011 6:12 PM (in response to Sulli9999)
    Keeping toes warm

Wool socks may help.  A lot of people like Smartwool.  I've also heard opeople putting duct tape on the toe areas.  I've never tried it myself though.

Len

Len

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Dec 21, 2011 1:18 PM (in response to Sulli9999)
    Keeping toes warm

Hi Sulli,

I actually use acrylic diabetic socks or those made with Coolmax/Thermax liner.  There are many speciality brands of running socks utilizing the same materials.  I have found that the diabetic socks offer a great deal of warmth, support and dry comfort.  Also, consider purchasing trail running shoes for the winter.  I always keep several pairs for the colder months.  They offer great water-proof qualities and protection against the colder conditions.  Usually, I am hesitant to recommend specific brands in anything, but I have utilized Hi-Tech since 2006 and I have always been amazed with the stability, durability and quality in all products http://www.hi-tec.com/us/

Wishing you many warm miles!

• rkblackwell Amateur 36 posts since
    May 19, 2010
    3. Dec 22, 2011 1:24 PM (in response to Sulli9999)
    Keeping toes warm

I wear two pair of socks.  First on, Feetures wool/bamboo nylon blend.  Over that, regular, plain old cotton crew socks.

Yes, I know that cotton is the root of all evil and I should be burned at the stake, but I wear this because the sweat that gets "wicked" away by the wool/wicky sock has to go somewhere.  The cotton absorbs it more effectively than it would normally evaporate.  It also adds a layer of insulation from the cold.  Once my feet warm up they stay nice and toasty, and when I remove my socks they're dry.  This is saying something as my feet sweat a lot more than most people's.  It's been in the mid 20's to 30's here, and this works great.

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    4. Dec 22, 2011 3:16 PM (in response to Sulli9999)
    Keeping toes warm

Duct tape is what I use to cover the vents on my cycling shoes but I dont know if it would work on running shoes as they flex more than cycling shoes and so the tape may work itelf loose.

I always double up on socks or wear rugby/football socks in winter. There is no danger of blisters as my feat dont sweat when it is hovering near zero degrees outdoors!

2012 Running Targets:

Sub 39 minute 10k

Sub 12 IronMan (UK)

Blog - Motorola Motoactv

• patriciaharris7 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012
    6. Mar 6, 2012 5:48 AM (in response to Sulli9999)
    Keeping toes warm

A lot of medical supplies stores carry different types of socks that could help a lot. Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...