Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2889 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 7:53 AM by ydiez RSS
EA22222 Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2012 10:45 AM

Just ran first half - when can I run another?!

Hi All --

I just ran my first half marathon five days ago. It went great and other than a little soreness a day or two afterwards, I feel really good. As soon as I crossed the finish line I started thinking about the next half I wanted to sign up for -- so I have definitely caught the bug!

Knowing I want to get a second half marathon on the books, should I "capitalize" on my running base and coming off of a good first race and schedule another half sooner than later? (There's one in my area in two weeks and another in four weeks). Or, is it better to take a break from higher mileage and sign up for a race in the spring or summer, and slowly build up my distance?

I'm in decent shape and, thus far, have been injury free (knock on wood). Since I'm obviously very much a long distance novice, I'd very much like to hear others' advice and input -- especially, if I'm being too cocky to want to tackle another race in a few weeks.

Thanks for your input!

EA

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Mar 2, 2012 11:28 AM (in response to EA22222)

I think the one in a month is better than two weeks.  Take it easy this week, run your normal miles the next 2.5 and then run your race.  If you ant to see improvements train for one in the fall.  Good luck, watch that bug it can get you that's for sure.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Mar 2, 2012 2:23 PM (in response to EA22222)

I agree with Bos,  the more cautious approach would be to resume your normal training schedule for adequate recovery time and continued endurance.  Back-to-back distance events increase the changes for injury and then the entire race season is at risk. (along with a potential decline in your performance if you go directly to another half). 

It is a wonderful accomplishment...congratulations and know that your enthusiasm will still be there in the coming months.  (If racing is a particular motivator, do some local 8k or 10k weekend events before your next half). 

• ydiez Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    4. Mar 7, 2012 7:53 AM (in response to EA22222)

I am in a similar situation to yours, In my case I waited one month for my second HM (last sunday).

I would advice you to pay special atention to recovery time. I have been running shorter races for a long time and generally go back to running two days after 10k. In the case of last's month HM I found out that I need about one week of almost no running in order to be completely ok (I waited only my customary two days and ended up with a few minor injuries). This week I rested for two days and I will be doing some light swimming sessions for the rest of the week.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...