Skip navigation

2732 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2012 5:15 PM by AustinL97 RSS
MorganRaiders Pro 61 posts since
May 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2011 5:50 PM

How to relax?

Anytime someone asks how to get rid of fear or calm down you guys just say to relax. How do you relax? How can you calm down? An explanation would be great.

• HoopCoach11 Rookie 5 posts since
    May 19, 2011
    1. Aug 11, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to MorganRaiders)
    Re: How to relax?

I don't think there is necessarily a precise way to "relax" but I can tell you a few things I use to do as a player:

• I would stop and take a couple deep breathes anytime I was feeling anxious........and always before free throws
    • Try not dwell on the game all day.  Occupy your mind until it's game time or you will be a ball of nerves
    • Focus on the stuff you can control such as playing hard and defense.  Things that are static.  If you do tha,t offense will come and shots will go down.
    • Although it sounds corny, I always looked for my parents in the crowd and found a strange calm in the fact that even if I had 20 turnovers and played like garbage they were not going to be pissed at me......at least not a lot.

That's all I got.

Good luck!

Basketball Coach | Basketball Plays | Youth Basketball Drills

• balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    2. Aug 11, 2011 11:31 AM (in response to MorganRaiders)

also the big thing that helps me my thought process is that god is always by my side, so I know im not alone and knowing that it helps me under pressure situations

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    3. Aug 21, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to MorganRaiders)

Just remember you practice hard all the time to succeed in game situations. Everyone makes mistakes, just have a short memory when it comes to that. If you worry, you won't perform good at all. So, just think positive thoughts and imagine yourself doing what you do best.

• Do3w3 Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 4, 2012
    4. Mar 7, 2012 8:49 AM (in response to MorganRaiders)
    How to relax?

Always remember, if you blow a play. So what? Even you lose the game becuz of that, it can happen!

Just try to think: I want to get this W. And if you don't, you feel disappointed. But shake it of you.

And if you have to make a play, just try to play your own game. Don't give your attention to screaming and exited people. Just go on your on rythim and try to do what you do always!

• BoWeezy Amateur 32 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    5. Mar 8, 2012 1:08 PM (in response to MorganRaiders)
    How to relax?

Just Take Deep Breathes Threw The Nose and Out The Mouth. Usually I'm Nervous Before I Get In The Game, But Soon As I Touch The Court My Nervousness and All That Leaves. Good Luck.

• AustinL97 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    6. Mar 10, 2012 5:15 PM (in response to MorganRaiders)
    How to relax?

Do some mental affirmation.  Visualize how you will play, tell yourself that you WILL get rebounds/assists/points, and be CONFIDENT!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points