Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

842 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 7:13 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
Brad Nash Rookie 5 posts since
Jan 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2012 11:09 AM

I need advice or help with pain after my running my first half marathon - Please

Ran a Half Marathon a week ago and felt great and no issues right after it and a few days ..however 4 days later I had a major charlie horse attack on my left calf .. since then my entire leg is comptetely sore and aches ... and now i am having issues running over an mile .. calf, shins, inner thigh all hurt ... it is from the HALF? I need a few more days rest? I NEED SUGESSTIONS or HELP or INSIGHT on what is going on and how I can get back into runnng ASAP ... Anything will help .... Just really upset that I cannot run ay 100%

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

Brad,

I am no expert, but it is not unusual to have some issues following your first half.  As the distance increases, the potential for injury also rises.  Deep muscle cramps are possible.  I think you should be concerned if the pain has extended to include your entire leg, so I would say seek professional advice because you want to make certain you are not pulling or tearing a muscle, for example.  If you were just experiencing quad pain 24 hours after the race, I would say run downhill, but is sounds like your issues may be more involved.  I would get it checked out just to be on the safe side and stop running until you have that evaluation. 

Congrats on your race...and wishing you a quick recovery.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,129 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009

I will assume this was the longest race you have run, or you might not have mentioned it was your first Half. Most people take about two hours to finish these, and the world record is just under an hour. Even if you were on world record pace, an hour of flat out running is a lot for the human body to take, especially the first time. The next time will be easier, because your body will be better prepared after this experience.

My first run over 10 miles was a 14 miler, and I was cramping all over the place after that. I was very stiff for a week after my first marathon, too, even though I was used to shorter stuff. Your body is reminding you how new a race at this distance is. The week off was a good idea, especially with some walking mixed in. However, trying to plunge back into your regular runs, especially with hills, may be too much to ask of those tender legs right now.

If you love running, the most important thing to learn is patience. If you train ahead of your recovery, pain can easily turn to injury. If you continue to train injured, and many runners do, injuries can easily become permanent. It's so much easier and wiser to relax, reflect on your recent accomplishment, and look forward to how much better you will perform if you let your leg muscles recover, rather than convert good muscle to useless scar tissue. Trust me, you will be faster, and run many more years, if you let yourself heal before going back to hard-core training.

Soak in some Epsom salt baths, learn how to do self-massage or foam-rolling to relax your stiff muscles, walk or use an elliptical trainer. Whatever you do, make sure it keeps you moving gently, and does not pile on any more damage where you feel it now. When you recover, you should be much stronger, and your next Half will be easier too.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...