Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

295656 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Previous Next
  • Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Mar 5, 2012 9:37 AM (in response to mkayc)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Mary Kay... I did read your rant through to the end and I can fully understand what you are feeling.  My first 1/2 marathon was in the 30's, rain and wind gusting in the 20's and 30 mph.  When things do not go your way, it can be easy to be discouraged and want to give up.

Just a couple of thoughts for you for the future runs you have coming up:

1)  If you are getting discouraged, find someone to talk to doing your pace.  They can sometimes bring you back up and encourage you till the end.  I had this in the run listed above.  By talking with him it was easy to forget the torture going on with my body and we kept together until about 1 -2 miles till the end.  He took off to meet his goal, but I was grateful for the assistance.

2)  If need be, stop, bend over and just stretch and focus on your breathing.  It can help.

3)  Your friend is right.... it is just a bump in the road.  We have all had bad races.  It is all on how you respond after that - do you wallow in the disappointment and not run again or do you learn from the experience and use it to make you stronger.  I am thinking of a NYC marathon I watched a couple of years ago - one of the runners used to be one of the best (cannot remember his name).  He was in the lead pack for most of the race - but you could tell he was having problems.  His form was off and you could tell he was cramping up.  He did pull out of the race and the commentators figured his career was over.  However, he learned and was going to try and join his country's Olympic team.

4)  It sounds like you know where your problems were in the race and you know how to improve in the future.  I would suggest if you are not doing it already, keep a log with your runs, races.  write down what you did good and what you did not so well.  As you go along, you can use it to review and remind you where you have been and how much you have improved as well as things to remember for races. 

As a side note, I am curious to hear how your Flying Pig race goes.  I am originally from Ohio and have wanted to do either the 1/2 or the full sometime - but since it is when the kids are in school - I will have to wait for a while.  Just keep working towards the race and you should have a good one

As for me, I had not planned properly today.  I was rushing to get the kids out that I forgot to eat before heading to the gym for my aerobics class.  I was supposed to do it and a 30 min job.  Instead I did low impact on the aerobics instead the high impact version and then only did a 20 min run (1.95 miles) on the treadmill.  Tomorrow, I will do a run outside with the wife off for the day.  This Saturday, I am going to adjust my schedule and run late in the day so I can volunteer at the Chambersburg 1/2 Marathon.  It should be fun and keep me motivated for my race

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    121. Mar 5, 2012 10:08 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

Thanks so much Eric for your excellent and thoughtful advice!! You are absolutely right, any of those distractions would have worked. I just let my irrational side hijack the day. I tried running again yesterday to overwrite the experience but the weather was even colder and only did three. I'll be back in the gym on Tues. I have another race next weekend and will be approaching it differently. 

You'll be back to OH soon enough. I know it doesn't seem like it now but they grow up mightly quickly. Enjoy!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011

Nick,

thanks for the good wishes... the hip is much better... I hardly feel anything anymore.... only towards the evening, but then it's more the groins, this might be from all the sitting and slouching on the sofa as I spent the past few days with studying only. Anyway, I am hopeful I will be running soon again. I am just afraid about the right moment to start again. This weekend it would be 3 weeks without running.... Maybe I start with hiking and hopefully some bike riding (if a get a chance to finally buy a bike). I am sorry you had to go through all the healing, too. It is so frustrating to be thrown back. How slowly are you increasing your mileage? I have no idea with how much I should start with (I was at 9miles when I stopped).. I am assuming I really start with one or two miles and see what happens (last time I got the hip pain back after one mile)... it is so frustrating!

Hang in there! Good luck to you for increasing both your endurance and mileage!

Thanks to everybody else for the good wishes!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    124. Mar 6, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta,

I started back up running 2 miles on the treadmill indoors.  I was worried about setback and figured that if I rehurt myself, I'll be around other people in the gym.  Also the treadmill has less impact on the foot than concrete.  I think that when you start again, start easy and go up from there.  I would start at 1 or 2 miles and if that is easy, try 3 or 4 next time out.  Really your body will let you know where your at.  My biggest thing is trying to slow my pace down, I am trying to run at my old pace and it's killing me.

Mary Kay,

Please stop beating yourself up.  Everyone has good and bad races.  I fully expect my next race this month to not go well due to the injuries.  While it's only an 8k, I don't feel confidant at this point that I can improve on my time last year, which is a major goal for me.  You can turn this experience into something positive and use it as motivation for your next race.  Don't give up, you can do this.

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

Jun 8, 2011
    125. Mar 6, 2012 4:53 PM (in response to edensacres)

Thanks everyone! I just had the best 5 mi run in the nicest weather in the calmest most beautiful evening. Go figure. I looked at my iPhone and it said 2.67 mi. and the next time I looked it said 3.86. I don't remember any of the time that passed between those moments, it was like running in a trance. I was breathing through my nose! Don't know the last time I could do that. Feels good!

Good runs to everyone!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    126. Mar 6, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay~So good to read you had a great run today!  I know how you were feeling after the weekend -- I think we have all been there.  Lots of good advice from everyone, and it takes a couple of days to put it in perspective.  The important thing is to learn from it, and accept that there may be other runs like it.  It make the days like you had today all the sweeter.

Britta~Great to read your hip pain is fading.  It sounds like you have been studying a lot lately.  Could the chair you are sitting be aggravating it.  Last fall I was experiencing hip pain, and a PT friend mentioned to try a different chair at my desk.  It did the trick -- worth a try!

The bronchial virus symptoms are gone, so started to run last week.  3 miles, 4 miles and 3 miles on alternating days. It probably was not wise, but decided to go for a slow, long distance on Monday at the indoor track.  Took it nice and easy, and planned to run for an hour.  After the hour, felt strong and steady. Took a Hammer apple-cinnamon gel & water, and continued on for another 50 minutes.  Downed another gel, and ran 20 more minutes to complete 10.91 miles.  Lots of stretching after --ahhhh!  Took a suggestion from some on the 50+ thread and soaked in an ice bath for 30 minutes.  Like they say, "It isn't bad once your in!"  It did help to relieve muscle soreness the next day.  Running has me doing some things I would have never done before!

Run strong, friends!

• Scotty670 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    127. Mar 6, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to edensacres)

I have been training for my first 25k in May. It is the 5/3 Riverbank Run here in Grand Rapids, MI. So far it is going great. I just ran my first 13 mile training run.

Scotty

Jun 8, 2011

10.91 miles? Whoo Hoo!! You are back with a vengeance!!!

Ice bath? Ew. Still, I'm sure it felt good after. Phyllis will be so proud. Had some Hammer Gel (Tropical) w water this evening also. It really seems to help. I like Hammer better than GU or G2 because there's very little sweetness.

Mary Kay

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    129. Mar 7, 2012 6:54 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hi everyone! 

Mary Kay - You are awesome!  You quickly bounced back from a crappy race.  It makes you appreciate the good runs more.  Good luck on your next event this weekend.  You will definitely  ace this one.

Debra - I also do the ice soaks after a long run.  Initially, it is uncomfortable but then it soothes the tired feet after awhile.  I just sit over the tub with my feet soaked in ice while sipping hot tea.

Britta - It is so delightful to hear the hip discomfort is almost resolved.  Good luck on the exams you are studying for.  Take it slow in building up the mileage, so as not re-injure it.

Nick - take it easy and please  be careful to not go out too fast too soon.  Have fun on your 8k race this month.

Trying to run four times a week, but work and family commitments are limiting it to 3 days.  Will try to adjust my running schedule next week when things seem to ease off a bit at work.  Running is my stress buster.  If I cannot run, I tend to become cranky and irritable and people in the office do notice.

Run safe and run fierce.

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    130. Mar 7, 2012 7:25 PM (in response to edensacres)

You guys are looking good... Glad to hear  you guys are getting ready for races.

Mary Kay :  Glad to hear you had a good run.  Good luck this weekend.

Britta, Nick... I will echo what others have said - take it easy.  Believe me, I have hurt myself and not let myself fully heal before going back out.  Shin splints, knee, thigh, etc.  Take it easy, and if possible, work on strengthen core/ thighs.  I have found by doing it this year, i am finding myself running better and stronger - just not faster yet.  I am sure  it is doing some good though.

I have never tried the ice bath - but may have to if things give me trouble. 

As for me this week - I did hill repeats on tuesday- Treadmill, 7.5% grade , 5 x 2 min each at 10mm, then 5 x1min each at 10mm.  It kicked my butt, but I was able to finish it.  Today, just did a 1 hr aerobic class (for the thighs and core) then did 3 miles on the treadmill.

Tomorrow will be 4 miles outside,, 3 miles Friday and then volunteering on Saturday at the Chambersburg PA 1/2 marathon.

Good luck guys and good running!

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    131. Mar 8, 2012 2:49 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric, Nice job on the hill repeats and even more so for volunteering at the race. 

Penny, I can relate to the schedule challenges and the feeling that running helps make other stuff better.

Mary Kay, If you can find it, I also like the AccelGel products for the same reasons.  The Vanilla flavor is especially good.  I'm sorry the race didn't turn out the way you hoped, but I'm glad to see you back in the groove.

Scotty, Great job on the long training run!

Debra, I've never been able to manage the ice bath, although lots of people suggest it.

I've passed the peak mileage of my training cycle and I'm now in the taper mode.  I'm actually running even a bit less than the taper schedule since my knee is still bothering me a little bit.  I'm having second thoughts about my ability to meet my goals, but I'm trying not to pay attention to those kinds of thoughts.  On the plus side, I've made plans to meet up for dinner the night before with a few internet friends who are also running the same race, so that should be fun.

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010

Scotty67~Welcome!  Great job on the 13 mile run, and best wishes on training for the 25k in May.

Mike~Have a great taper, and I hope the knee pain diminishes for you.  ice! ice! ice!

Eric~Awesome job on the hill repeats -- WTG!  Thank you for volunteering at the HM.  Event could not take place without the help of the wonderful volunteers.  Enjoy the experience on the other side of the race!

Penny~"March Madness" at work -- I can relate!  It has helped me to just get out and run, even if it is an abbreviated version of my training plan.  Hope your work load lightens soon!

MaryKay~You have learned a lot about yourself since last weekend.  Are you using this weekend's race as a training run or a race? I was reading Jeff Galloway's running book last night, and he suggests only racing 1x/month while training for the main event.  During a race that I am using as a training run, I repeat to myself over and over to go out slow, keep it low-key, BUT it takes some major mental gymnastics to keep my competitor-self under control the first 1.5 miles.  Put yourself in a bubble to block out what is going on around you if you need to.  This is another step on your way to your HM.  You will be great!  Run strong!!

Heading to the the outdoor track for a 6 mile tempo run today.  The snow has melted after 2 days in the 60's, too bad the trails are a muddy mess!

Run strong, friends!

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    133. Mar 8, 2012 8:23 AM (in response to edensacres)

My half is Saturday and I'm not sure whether I'm going to be able to do it at all.  Monday on the TM I felt something pull in my groin.  No real pain, just a weird feeling.  I did yoga to stretch it out and felt okay.  Tuesday I went for a 4 mile run, which got shortened when I started feeling pain at mile two.  Took a bath in epson salts, iced my leg, massaged it, but by evening I was in a lot of pain.  Couldn't lift my leg and could barely walk.  Wednesday I rested and the pain eased but I felt stiff and sore all over.  Today I can walk fine, (walked the dog 2.5 miles) but I still feel a slight nagging soreness in the same place in the groin and general stiffness in my legs.  Today and tomorrow were supposed to be my rest days, but since I didn't run yesterday I'm not sure whether I should try to run this afternoon or tomorrow morning, just to ease the stiffness, or if I should just continue to rest and deal with stale legs on Saturday.  Since this is my first half, I am really unwilling to DNS, but I also don't want to be in agony for 13 miles. 

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    134. Mar 8, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Oooohhh! I was in pain reading your post ginnyinPA.

If you have a groin pull please do not stretch.

Experience has taught me, and my physical therapist daughter teaches --- rest.

I'd suggest rest to the day of the HM. Your breathing may hurt for the first couple miles but it will kick in. You have nothing to gain strength wise.

There are videos on youtube on how to tape a GP

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...