Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38670 Views 228 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2012 8:28 AM by Sharly Q Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Previous Next
  • FlipOverBuggie Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 3, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Mar 6, 2012 9:46 AM (in response to dd64)
    February 2012 C25K Starters

Normally when I don't have my jacket on, I hold it in my hand...which won't work in the hotter months...I've tried!  Let me know if you find a good armband and I'll do the same for you!

Flip 

"To live will be an awfully big adventure"

Started Couch 2 5K February 27th

Glow Run 5K Wilmington - 3/28/12 to be completed!

OrthoWilmington 5K - 5/19/12 to be completed!

Next goal after C25K...Run the 4 mile loop at Greenfield Lake Park, Wilmington NC

• HydeParkJogger Pro 63 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011
    77. Mar 7, 2012 12:23 AM (in response to Sharly Q)

Hello,

I hope it's OK to join this thread! I completed W3D3 this morning and felt pretty good overall. I am by far the slowest and most unfit runner in the park in the morning but I like to think it's better than staying in bed that extra hour. It's a bit dreary and windy in London this morning but the birds and horses were out-- always makes for a nice distraction.

There are a few little annoying things about my C25K experience. Firstly, I completed the programme last year, had to take a break because I broke my foot, and never got back into it. I had promised myself not to allow that to happen... but it did. So now I'm giving it another go. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't always allow for consistent workouts. There are usually about 4 days a week I can't get out in the morning and it's pretty unlikely those four days will cooperate with the ideal rest day routine. Anyway, I am doing the best I can with some extra kilos and some extra days off.

Love reading all of your stories Happy running everyone.

Mar 3, 2012
    78. Mar 7, 2012 7:15 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Hello!

Congratulations on finished Week 3!  Tomorrow is my last run of Week 2, then it's time to move on!  To me as long as you're getting out there, it doesn't matter how slow!  I saw a pin on Pinterest that said, "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch."  So true. 

I'm so sorry that you broke your foot!  I know it's hard for me to get back into things if I have a set back as well.  Hey, at least you're doing it again!  And I agree that it is hard to make sure you get your runs in on the days your supposed to.  I had to change my running schedule so that I could actually get them to fit in with my school schedule.  At least you are trying! 

Keep us updated! 

Happy running!

Flip

Next goal after C25K...Run the 4 mile loop at Greenfield Lake Park, Wilmington NC

• dd64 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    79. Mar 7, 2012 8:19 AM (in response to HydeParkJogger)

Welcome!!!  I'm slow too!!  Speed will come in time.  I'm repeating wk 1.  I run in the evenings after work.  I would love to run in the mornings, but I refuse to run in the dark! haha.  I live in a rural area, it's safe, I just don't like the dark!!!!  I wish my husband would start the program.  Heck, he would probably outrun me right now!

Good luck and keep reporting back to us.  I love reading everyone's stories!

Sharly....where are you today?

Good morning Flip!

"Failure Is Only The Opportunity To Begin Again More Intelligently" Henry Ford

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" Amelia Earhart

• dd64 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 29, 2012
    81. Mar 8, 2012 6:48 AM (in response to Sharly Q)

Good Thursday morning Runners!!!

I ran W1D2 yesterday evening.  It was a great run!!!  Repeating week one has turned out to be a great idea!  I will be ready for Week 2 on Sunday.  Instead of wishing the 60 seconds of running would end, I was pushing for the 90 seconds of walking to end!!! 

I had to slow down.  I found myself jogging faster than I needed to be.  I'm sure it was because I got so wrapped up in the music of Lady Gaga....the beat just made me want to go faster and faster!!

Today is a rest day.  I need it!  I'll prop my feet up tonight as I watch American Idol !!!!

Run On!

"Failure Is Only The Opportunity To Begin Again More Intelligently" Henry Ford

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" Amelia Earhart

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    84. Mar 8, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to Sharly Q)

I had the same question when I did c25k and was told, emphatically, that it is EITHER time OR distance;  don't worry about trying to do both.  You want to run at a comfortable pace, and it doesn't matter whether that's 10 mm or 14 mm - just run at a pace that's right for you for either the time given or the distance given. 

It seems that most people prefer to do the program by time.  I chose to do it by distance.  It's up to you. 

As you gain conditioning, speed will come.  Pushing it in the early stages leads to injury and frustration.

Mar 3, 2012
    86. Mar 8, 2012 9:27 AM (in response to Sharly Q)

Hello everyone!  It's a beautiful, sunny, 73 degree day here in North Carolina!  There's a slight breeze and the humidity is relatively low.  When I got home from class this morning, I ate a small snack and headed out for my W2D3 run!  I have to say, it was a little rough.  I think it has something to do with the 100 calf raises I did on Tuesday after my run as part of the Blogilates challenge!  I also did a fish population sampling in a mucky pond yesterday that involved my helping to drag a 128 foot gill net across a algae filled pond...needless to say, it was a tough workout.  Anyway, I finished the run today and feel a little fatigued in my legs, but who can complain on such a nice day?!  I'm excited to start Week 3 on Sunday.  I thought about maybe redoing Week 2, but once I realized what the run on Sunday entails, I think I can do it just fine.  I'll keep everyone posted!  I hope everyone is enjoying whatever weather you have and that your running is going smoothly!

Happy running!

Flip

• dubya12 Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 27, 2012
    87. Mar 8, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to Sharly Q)

I was wondering about taking the 2nd day of week 4 and trying to make distance and not worry about the time... anyone have any input? Would that be a good idea, or should I just stick strictly with timing?

Hi Sharly,

My answer probably won't help much because I'm right at the point of running a 10 minute mile.  Actually, my dog is and she just pulls me along with her.  I would probably always run for time and not distance.  I figured that once you can run for 30 minutes straight, adding 3, 5 or 10 minutes on top of 30 to get to your distance wont be a big deal.  In your mind, just control your breathing and think - "Finishing this is easy.  I'm back on W4D1 or 2, I can take it home from here."  It'll be a little party in your head for the final few minutes and then you get that tingling all over because you just kicked some major butt.

Afterwards it's margarita time!!!!!!!

• CBMiles Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 16, 2008
    88. Mar 8, 2012 11:08 AM (in response to dubya12)

I figured that once you can run for 30 minutes straight, adding 3, 5 or 10 minutes on top of 30 to get to your distance wont be a big deal. 

Afterwards it's margarita time!!!!!!!

This.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...