Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1472 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 4:45 PM by Ipull400watts
McAnnalea Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 6, 2012 5:50 PM

First time runner, should I really only run 3 days a week?

Hi, everyone.

Just started the Couch to 5k program and absolutely love it. I have never run before in my life, except a couple of times where I tried it once and gave up immediately.

This time though I'm really enjoying every run and can't wait to do the next one. That said, I'm following the program outlined in the iphone app. My question is: am I really limited to 3 runs a week? I think I want to run more than that but I'm worried I'm biting off more than I can chew and setting myself up for failure later?

Any advice for this newbie is much appreciated!

• Matt88619 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011

If you have just started (great news) and you have never run before, then I would say stick to the program.

Your enthusiasm is really good and that will help you stay the course all the way through as there will be times when you don't feel like running. I would suggest that if you still feel like doing something active on your rest days that you try something light, like a good brisk walk or maybe a swim or bike ride.

If you are using muscle groups that you have not used so much in the past, the rest days are important for your body to recover and repair.

So keep up the good work and be patient with your training as the last thing you want is to incur an injury.. All the best.

Check out my blog for heaps of Click here for training information at www.5ktainingschedules.com

• loov Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 7, 2012

I'm getting close to finishing the program. I'm running MWF. Since I don't run Sat and Sun, I never have a very good run on Mon.  I'm glad you've asked this question, because I keep wondering if I should just run every other day.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

Runners run...put in the miles as long as you feel okay to do so physically & mentally.  Listen to your body and take breaks or cross-train whenever necessary. 

Wishing you all the best.

• Alex1533 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 7, 2012

Thanks for this post.  just started the program with my 3 daughters ages 13 and 16.  Only 2 ages as 2 of them are twins.  We are loving it.  Just finished week one and of course you worry are we running enough.  I am gonna stick with the program after reading this post and we have a mud run to do when finished.  Thanks

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011

I would suggest staying with the program. You will have many runs in your future so dont try to overdo. Your enthusiasm is great!!! Just dont let it get you in trouble(injured) for now. Like Matt said, if you have unused energy and need more add some cross training like biking, swimming, lift weights, eliptical, ect. The cross training will help you become a good healthy runner!! Dont forget: rest from everything is very important, nutrition is important. This is all part of a runners plan and should be considered your new life style change. Good luck and stay positive!!

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

• Ipull400watts Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009

I suggest the best way to begin running is to build a base of running with consistant and frequent short runs.

BS Nutrition

www.WhiteLineCoaching.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...