Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

294364 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Previous Next
  • NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    136. Mar 8, 2012 1:38 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

I agree with Stephanie.  Always try to enter a race as healthy as possible.  If you don't do ice baths I use a gel pack from the freezer for more targeted problem areas.  Bags of frozen veggies work well too.  After triathlons you'll find a lot of us back in the water wading around for a similar effect.

My left calf developed some odd knot last Friday and aside from a indoor triathlon Sunday I've taken the rest of the week off and only done gentle stretching and massage work.  It seems to work ok but for me it's one of the first muscles to complain when my training is more intense.  My point is that I'm willing to give up a week to stay healthy because not only do I usually keep injuries at bay but I end up better off for the rest.  When you're doing consecutive weekend races like Super Mary then the weekdays in between should be focused on recovery and maintenance work.  There's no sure way to tell if it will be up to the challenge of a HM that soon so best of luck with everything. 

Andy

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    137. Mar 8, 2012 2:56 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Ginny~So sorry to read about the groin pull.  Great advice from skypilot, Stephanie and Andy about rest.  You should lose very little, if any endurance taking this week for rest.  Some of the best runs I've had have been after a week of rest.  You may want to ask over at "the Med Tent" thread to read what they advise.  Like Andy, I keep a couple of bags of frozen peas in the freezer for spot relief for soreness.  The bags mold nicely to areas that are difficult to hold a cold pack.  I seal them in another zip lock bag and mark it, so I don't accidentally pull them out for dinner.  They develop a bad case of freezer burn!  Take care, and keep us updated.

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    138. Mar 9, 2012 1:23 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

GinnyinPA , First of all, sorry to hear about your injury, hope you get well soon.

As has already been said, I would not run at least till race day, but I would also strongly advice to be very very carefull in race day.

I know how much effort it takes to prepare for your first HM, and I can only imagine how dissapointed I would have been if I had gotten injured just a few days before it, but you also want to run next week and the week after that, so listen to your body, and take it easy. Start slow, and see how your leg reacts, if the pain is just not there or fades away as muscles get activated then you are probably ok, although you probably want to run conservatively. If the pain does not fade away or increases, then it is time to call it a day and go back home to rest a little more while you find yourself the next HM near the place where you live. Good luck and wish you a full recovery by saturady.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    139. Mar 9, 2012 6:53 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Ginny - it is so unfortunate that you have this groin injury being so near your first HM.  Please do heed the advice of rest, ice, and taping from fellow runners.  I know your frustration, the time spent on training, the effort and commitment you put over the past several months, then this happens.  If you decide to run on Saturday's race, be extra careful.  There will be other races in the future, so please do not over exert yourself so as not to exacerbate or even aggravate the groin pull.

Run safe and run fierce.

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    140. Mar 9, 2012 8:57 PM (in response to pennymt)

Hi everybody,

just a quick update. Thanks for all your good wishes... hip has been better since Sunday but then it started acting up on Wednesday and Thursday. I have no clue why! I don't have that bad pain I initially had, but the hip feels different compared to the other one. I am back to heating pads and feel really frustrated. Maybe it is time to go and see a doctor? Not sure if I even should try a teeny tiny run this weekend..... Otherwise, studying is history for the next three weeks, I had finals on Wendnesday. I feel very free at the moment and it is so bad I can't go running....

Ginny, so sorry to hear about your groin pull, esp. before your first HM!! I hope you feel better by now and hopefully your are able to run your HM this weekend!

Girlintheorchard... congrats on reaching 11miles! :-)))

Mary Kay, good luck for your next race.... this weekend, right? Sorry to hear your last one wasn't what you expected... I can relate so much about the pressure of running in a crowd! Let us know how your next race goes!

Nick, I was thinking too of increasing mileage very slowly.. I guess I will start with one mile (and try not to think of the level I used to be), not sure if I should start this weekend or not..... I am thinking just sitting around and not exercising can't be good for my hip either!

Eric, I will take it easy, but it is so hard to be patient... I miss running soooo much!

All the best to everybody and have great and successful runs and races!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    141. Mar 10, 2012 4:30 AM (in response to edensacres)

Update:  I decided to skip the race today.  Woke up at 5:30, got dressed, ate breakfast and headed down the street with our dog.  He was feeling frisky so we stepped up the pace to a light jog.  Immediately the pain I felt on Tuesday was back, in full.  Three days of rest, ice, hot baths, etc. just wasn't enough.  I think it's better for me to DNS than to start the race and have to turn around after two or three miles, and though I really hoped that wouldn't happen, wishing wasn't going to make it so.

I have another race scheduled in six weeks.  Hopefully this will heal in the next week or so so I can get back to training and try again.

Jun 28, 2011
    142. Mar 10, 2012 10:08 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Ginny, I am so sorry to read you couldn't run your race today! Hugs to you! But with the pain coming back with light jogging it was the right decision. I hope it will healy quickly!

Britta

Britta

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    143. Mar 10, 2012 11:21 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

First off... Ginny - sorry to hear that you were unable to run today.  Take is easy and run in the next one.  I really hope you can get better soon!  If you are worried about losing some endurance - do things that will allow you to keep active and not aggrevate it.  Swimming, elliptical, light weights, etc - or take a class.  Just an idea.

As for me, today was a blast.  I showed up at the Chambersburg 1/2 marathon and helped with the registration.  In talking with one of the guys (he could not run due to rolling his ankle in Disney in January), he mentioned he was heading to the first turn for the start of the race to control traffic.  I offered to go with him since I had nothing scheduled.  While walking to the point, he mentioned that he wanted to head out to the 1st water stop just over the 2 mile mark. 

After the runners passed us, we set out at a jog ( `10 min mile) and started passing runners.  It was fun talking with people as we run with no expectation on the race since, realistically, we were volunteers.  We avoided the photo spots making sure they knew we were not running in the race.  I remember passing 2 ladies and hearing them comment on my "running gear" - jeans, old pair of running shoes and a regular jacket with a ball cap.  We had to turn around and let them know we were volunteers!

After a few min. break, we turned around and went back to our post - getting there about 10 min before the leaders arrived.  I ended up waiting until one of the last guys we talked to on the way out was coming back and I ran back with him to the finish.  I did not realize it, but he thanked me for helping him finish the race.  He was getting to the point of having to walk the rest of the way when I joined him.  He ran the final section and finished strong. 

Over all , we had a good time and  I now realize that  there are a lot of stupid drivers out there.  I cannot believe how many idiots there were driving - trying to "beat" the runner , flipping us the bird for hold them up, getting pi**ed over us yelling at them to slow down (they came close to hitting someone), etc. 

I only ran 4 miles today, but I feel like I ran the entire 13.1

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

Aug 2, 2010

Ginny, I'm so sorry you were unable to run your HM today.  You made a difficult decision, but listened to what your body was telling you.  Feel better soon, hope you heal quickly and are able to run the HM in May.  Take care.

Britta~Enjoy the break after finals!  Sorry the hip pain is still hanging on, maybe time for an look/see.  Many medical centers have a sports medicine clinic who offer free evaluations and suggestions on excercises.  Your local running store may also be a good resource for referrals to MD/PT who deal with running injuries. 

Erik~Great "race report" from the perspective of a volunteer.  LOL about the ladies commenting on your non traditional running apparel!  I loved reading about you running with the man at the finish line.  Great story!  Agree about crazy drivers -- a great reminder to be careful out there!

Mary Kay~Thought of you during my run this morning.  I can't wait to read about it, I bet you did great!

Ran 10.67 miles on an out-and-back on the Interurban Bike Path today.  Sunny, beautiful March day which began at 29 degrees and when I finished my run it was 58 degrees.   Spring is definitely in the air with the birds singing, wild turkeys congregating in the fields and one lonely garter snake sunning itself on the asphalt path.  The wind was intense with 45mph gust on the way back.  The last 3 miles are very open, and there were times when I felt stalled.  Kept singing Bob Seeger's "Against the Wind" to myself, and thought I must be building strength.  My legs felt like lead, but I finished.

Home to stretch, a session w/ Helga the foam roller and an ice bath.  Predictions for the same weather tomorrow, time to get the bike out for cross-training

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Ginny - So many folks here have given such great advice, I echo everything that's been said. It has to be way better to DNS than to DNF and you will run better once you recover. Britta, I am thinking of your frustrations also. Rather than seeing an ortho, I'd skip and go to a sports clinic or PT. You are likely to end up in PT and the sooner you start the better.

Eric, I loved, loved loved your volunteer story. Wish you'd been here today to run in with me; I got lost! Of course, it wouldn't be my race if it wasn't messed up somehow. BTW Andy, I resemble that crazy remark but honestly am only running three weeks in a row because I spaced and forgot the big race next week. Good news! I've accepted walking as an ok way to get through parts of a race. Tired of beating myself up about it and once again made much better time walking the uphills. This course was a bear for the 10k and easy for the 5k. It was flat the first 1.5 and the 5k was out and back. The 10 folks however went through a constant uphill climb - 40 min 4 me - on a circular route with about a half mile of really steep downhill and no water from m.1.5 to m.5. I was prepared w fuel and Endurolyte thx to folks on the 50 and over thread who have recently been focusing on this. I had a bottle w Endurolyte last night, started early with a half bottle and coffee and carried the other half.  I meant to have a gel before the race but forgot and only had the one I planned to eat while running but had a GU Chomp and Luna mini beforehand. Only my left calf and knee hurt now but they hurt yesterday. I didn't stop to ice - went straight for the reward Pedicure. Thinking I had a lot of extra muscle pain because I wasn't hydrating or fueling at all.

So I really wanted to beat my Thanksgiving Day time this race since I was injured for that one. At 5, my time was 1:09 and I thought I had it. At 6, time was 1:23 and calculated I cold mosey the last 0.2 and still beat it (nerd brain). I forgot something major still hadn't gone wrong and well this is ME we're talking about. So, I won't be beating my time. The course ran long, almost 6.6m dammit and then I couldn't find the finish line.  They made it so you had to run through the heart of the block party to get to the finish and there was no gate, just the mats with poles on each side. And they didn't keep the course clear. Almost everyone ran the 5k so there were very few on the long course to begin with and I was likely one of the last to finish.  Regardless, the end of the course had at least fifty people milling about with no marking. The folks ahead of me sprinted and got swallowed up too early for me to see where they went so I ran to the start but that was the total opposite side of the site.  Even when I knew where to look I couldn't see the end. Now it seems funny but after all that work I was annoyed. And, no swag. Food was mostly gone and lines were too long. I have got to start running faster!!!!!!!

Strong runs to all you who will be out this week and patience to you who are nursing injury or illness. You will be back!  Stronger.  Thanks to everyone for your support!!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Sounds like some of us will be racing next weekend??? Go Mike!! Let's take care out there and prepare well!! This is starting to look like "lessons learned the hard way" thread and I include my mental melt in that. With that in mind, I highly recommend taking a look at the 50 and over what are your challenges thread, particularly Kathy's recent post on her first marathon. While it's a little long, it's very detailed about how she ate, fueled and hydrated. The specifics helped me prepare for yesterday's race and for the first time ever I woke today energized and with no pain, well, a little once I was up but none getting dressed. Big improvement!! Mike, listen to your doubts as if you were listening to a best friend and then let them go, unless you truly are injured.

Debra, it's so good to hear how well your runs are going. You are running so strong!!! Glad you've come back from being ill. 10.1 inside and now 11 outside. I don't know about you but if I can do 11 outside in the cold, I can do that plus a whole lot more in warmer weather. Hope you get good weather for your 10k and enjoy every minute of it.

Penny, hope you are finding time for your stress relief runs. Life can be challenging. Stephanie, thanks for all your steadfast support. How have your runs been?

Run strong and fierce!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Aug 2, 2010
    147. Mar 11, 2012 8:37 AM (in response to mkayc)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Mary Kay, You're resiliency and determination is awesome!  You set a gauntlet of races before you the last month! You have met each one with wisdom from lessons learned and courage to face the challenges ahead.  You are very inspiring to me! 

Good to read that your fueling has helped with recovery on the day after.  I agree with you about the information in Kathy's FM race report.  I have learned so much about fueling options from her and Webpro.  I'm still perfecting what I need during my training runs, and need to look for a fuel belt to hold everything.  I won't have my SAG(husband on bike) during the race like I do on training runs!   Hey, the reward pedicure sounds better than a stale bagel or green banana! Enjoy a couple of quality rest days, and all the best on next week's 15k!

After suggestions from my son/coach, I have decided to run the 5k instead of the 10k next week.  This week's training is a step down week(4 miles/M, TU, W & TR), and we determined the 5k distance w/ a .5 mile warm up and .5 mile cooldown was the better choice.  After my HM in May, I would like to train for a June 23 10k to better my time in that distance.  We'll see if I want to do anything after the HM, though!

Have a great week!

Jun 28, 2011
    148. Mar 11, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay and Debra,

I am thinking of going and see a doctor soon, I am trying to find out what's best. What is interesting though, after 3 weeks of not working out at all and spending too much on my sofa studying (and yes I enjoy my time after the finals big time!!), I have really had it this weekend. I decided to go hiking. Nothing really strenous, but nice enough. Both times I was walking fast, today even speedwalking uphill (very steep).... and it felt good! And even better, today my hip felt better, and also now, after my second hike, I cannot complain too much about my hip. There is still discomfort yes, but overall it's better than it was at the end of this past week! And what I also noticed is that I feel more discomfort in one of the muscles in the back than in my hip. Not sure what to think of all this. But I can say I loved my workouts today :-)

Happy running to everybody!

Britta

Britta

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    149. Mar 11, 2012 8:25 PM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric - the race I was supposed to run was Chambersburg.  We would have met perhaps, if I'd been there.  Sounds like you had fun.  I actually thought about going and helping out, but I was too upset.  Maybe we'll both run it next year.

Renmaus - are you still going to the doctor or do you think your hip has improved enough that it might not be necessary now?

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...