Skip navigation

8846 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 1:11 PM by BlackHillsMom RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Mar 9, 2012 7:48 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Re: Thinking About Trying This Thing

Last year, I started with duathlons, finishing three of them as a big clydesdale.

This year, I decided moving to a triathlon made sense, getting me off my legs for part of the event.  I started swimming before Christmas, and quickly realized I couldn't breathe.  Went to a swim coach, who was a NCAA swimmer and is now a triathlete.  Wow, in two sessions before New Years, she got me breathing right, and on my way for the swim.  She doesn't teach short swimmers, but rather distance swimmers.  Like a laser beam, she zeroed in on what I needed.  I went back to her about 2 weeks ago.  She was shocked at how smooth I was and how far I had gotten.  She even made me swim a 200, my previous max was 100.  I see her again in a week or so, and expect she's going to want me at 300. 

If you are in it to finish and not worried about a podium, remember, its about endurance not speed.  You will get there and you'll have a blast and be so proud of yourself when you are done.

While I wouldn't recommend this to do by yourself, maybe you'll have a pond or lake you can swim in with a buddy once the water warms up.  That could save a trip, and allow you to train more often.

Training for a du or tri or whatever is a process.  As a trainer once told me, "How long did it take for your body to get into the shape (or lack thereof) it is in?  Do you think it will get better overnight?  But it will get better".

I took about 3 months after my last event, doing some running and light stuff.  But now I'm back at it and things are getting better.  You'll get to a point where you feel like you need to workout. 

Pain is temporary; pride is forever.  You will have oodles of pride when you finish your first event.

Good luck, and when you need inspiration, just post here, folks will help you out!

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    16. Mar 9, 2012 12:38 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)
    Thinking About Trying This Thing

I have a suggestion on the swimming issue.  Getting instruction will mean making the trip but for practice if you don't have anywhere nearby you can make a cheap version of an endless pool at home.  We have an above ground pool that gets put up in the summer.  I wear a belt and bungy it to a post outside the pool so I can swim all I want.  Given what gas prices are doing this might be an option.  If nothing else the family gets to enjoy it too so it's not too hard of a sell.

There are some very good swimming instruction web sites.  I follow Swim Smooth and would recommend it.

Andy

• Niftygirl16 Expert 54 posts since
    Feb 9, 2011
    19. Mar 13, 2012 11:34 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Signing up is the hardest part.  The rest will fall into place .

"At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe."

Completed Races:

• 10/31/10 - Monster Mini Dash 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 33.54
    • 3/19/11 - St. Pat's 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 31:51

• 8/7/11 - Jerseygirl Sprint Tri (Long Branch, NJ) 1:32:23
    • 10/2/11 - Wish it, Dream it, Du it Duathlon (Smithfield, RI) 1:50:33
  • Julie Ann Hackett Legend 227 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    21. Apr 25, 2012 9:27 AM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Congrats on running your firt 5K!  And doing it under your goal time.  You put in the hard work and it paid off.  Best wishes as you continue on your fitness journey!

• annaansell Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2012
    22. May 31, 2012 11:39 PM (in response to BlackHillsMom)

Hi Everyone!

Im new to this community and really liked this thread! I am a young mum, with 2 kids living in Sweden!! I feel like I need to get back into shape, start giving myself the time I need to take care of myself, and also prove to myself that I can do a triathalon!!

Im really nervous, because I just dont know where to start and what to do... Ive never been super sporty, but have tried out a bit of thai-boxing but feel like its time for me to try something new! Stop looking at those around me thinking how awesome they all are-but instead look at myself and think I rock for once!!!

Any tips on beginning right from the beginning? Just to start with only running and then gradually add the swimming and cycling?

I have a normal simple bike- to train cycling on that is ok?

What distances to start with?

Do you guys think that I can do this?? or is it far fetched and crazy? Honesty is really appreciated...

Take care all...

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...