Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

577676 Views 4,892 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2013 4:54 AM by ShoeGoo RSS Go to original post 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 ... 327 Previous Next
  • az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,340. Mar 9, 2012 7:17 PM (in response to countryrunner1)
    My last run was...how was yours?

countryrunner1:

AWESOME!!  47 miles for the week?!?  WOW!!! 

I NEED rest days ........... I gotta start increasing my mileage for my marathon sometime late May or June, then another in the fall.

KEEP IT UP!!

Trail runner

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,341. Mar 9, 2012 7:40 PM (in response to jmsab23)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Hi jmsab23 - I'm just north of Boston.  Maine is beautiful although it's been a couple of years since I've been up there. 

6x - happy birthday to your granddaughter - and happy new shoe day to you.

LMWEL - I don't have any advice for you as the longest I've ever run (so far) is 7 miles, but I wish you luck.  It could just  be that you had an off day.

Thanks AZ - glad you're feeling better.

Good luck to all racing this weekend.  I'll be chaperoning a scout trip on the Cape this weekend but with luck I can get a run in Sunday afternoon after we get back.

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2,342. Mar 10, 2012 11:29 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hey guys... just a quick note - I am on schedule for the week and actually ahead today.  I was supposed to be off yesterday, but I ran 4 miles outside expecting to not run today (helping the Chambersburg 1/2 marathon instead). 

Funny note - I showed up in a jacket/ jeans and old running shoes.  Ended up running 4 miles with someone I met while we were waiting for runners coming back through the area.  You should have seen the looks I got for running in jeans

It was in the 30's to start the race and breezy.  It was a hilly route and was interesting running in jeans for a distance.  I was able to keep up , even with the gear I had on.  The sky was blue and absolutely beautiful today.  Great day for a run. 

I need to rest.  I feel like I ran the entire 13.1 with the time I ran and  the rest of the time on the course helping direct idiots that were driving

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,343. Mar 10, 2012 11:59 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hello all. Ran/hiked 6 miles this morning with my nephew. 22 degrees at the start and 31 at the finish. No wind for a change with lots of sunshine. Beautiful day to be in the woods. It was pretty rocky most of the going and a new trail so our time was slow but no matter. Was home in time for a small gathering with family to celebrate the birthday girl's big day. Can't decide between a long run tomorrow or a good long road bike ride as it's to be around 60 here tomorrow. Either way it will be good. Thanks to everyone for the grandaughter's birthday wishes.

az1414 good luck with your up coming 10 miler. Happy belated Birthday. We missed our grandaught's first as she lived far away from us, so we are really enjoying it now. Glad your feeling better and hitting those trails.

MelodyLea really feel bad for you about your foot. Hope your better soon.

Debm2011 I really enjoyed your picture. Beautiful! I added it to my collection. Thanks.

taylor007 hope you did well at your race today. Great cause to run for.

OshCat hang in there friend.

countryrunner1 your another one that amazes me with the miles you run. I never forget a rest day, my body won't let me. lol.

LMWEL I was interested in the response to your post too as I find myself in that situation from time to time. I'm sure you will be fine.

jmsab23 Thanks, it is great fun isn't it. Little gifts from God.

Run4Coffee thanks for your post. I found it interesting and appreciate the tips as well.

Can't wait to read everyone's post after their races. Keep running everyone and please keep posting. Almost forgot. The new shoes were awesome.

Ericd just read your post. we must have been posting at the same time. Running 4 miles in jeans! You are tougher than me for sure and good for you helping out with the race. My co worker ran that one and says it is a great one.

• LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    2,344. Mar 10, 2012 2:35 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Thanks everyone for your responses and encouragement. I feel better and I believe that with fresh legs, in eight days I will rock my first marathon.

Champsfan; I would opt for the long ride. Perfect cycling weather is harder to come by than running weather. I'm riding 70+ with my group tomorrow.

Marc

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,345. Mar 10, 2012 2:45 PM (in response to LMWEL)

I ran another little 3.5 mile run this morning. My foot still hurts, but less. I'm icing and resting it (somewhat). I don't think its a stress fracture, from what I've been reading and I do hope that the minimalist shoes are not an issue. No long runs for a while, but I'm happy I can do shorter ones with out too much pain. Bloody cold this morning though...geeze, where is spring! It was in the "teenies"...brrr.

Oh, and I got my package from Hammer! WOW, what a class act that company is. I'm so excited to start using all the fun goodies. Thanks for your advice on supplements, everyone.

Debm2011 Beautiful sunset and I'm so glad you are feeling stronger...yay! Thanks for commiserating with me.

taylor007 Thanks. Best of luck on those two races!

OshCat Hang in there, girl

ryrunner1 Impressive mileage! Whoot.

xchampsfan Have fun with the grand baby, give her extra hugs from me! Thanks, re: my foot. It could always be worse, right?

az1414 Congratulations and welcome back to the trails!! Yay.

Ericd3043 Funny about the jeans. Thanks for taking care of those runners and keeping them safe from crazy drivers.

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,346. Mar 10, 2012 2:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

You can tell Spring is coming in the Pacific Northwest.  Sunny and 64 Thursday, then 50's with down pouring rain what we call a "pinapple express".  Hawaii was getting pounded by rain and the jet stream brought it all the way up here and dumped it in Seattle just like a fire hose.  When I woke up this morning the rain finnally turned to drizzle.  45 degrees, drizzle, no wind.  Had a great 13.46 miles in 1:40:00 run today but was surprise on the hilly route I picked.  I learned that I'm a week ahead of my training but that means I'll just do this week all over again.  

Check out my run here:  The house I pass are on the Market and start at 5 million.

<iframe width="100%" height="350px" scrolling="no" src="http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/render_route_video?route_key=704133140003932498&site=mapmyrun.com">

<a href="13.46" _mce_href="http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/73929554">13.46">http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/73929554">13.46 mi Run on Mar 10, 2012 9:20 AM</a> and more runs in Kirkland, WA on MapMyRUN. <a href="Find" _mce_href="http://www.mapmyrun.com">Find">http://www.mapmyrun.com">Find run</a>

</iframe>

• NHLA Legend 353 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,347. Mar 10, 2012 3:13 PM (in response to LMWEL)

LMWEL  Your body has to adjust to long runs. If you run long often enough your body will change. It will start burning fat sooner. Until then take a gel @ 45 min. and another every one hour.

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,348. Mar 10, 2012 3:55 PM (in response to NHLA)

Race Report:  I completed my first Triathlon! feels great. can i get a woot woot!  Sadly the one co-worker that signed up bailed (tough week for her), and i didn't let my 13 yr old boy race; he hadn't really trained at all, had a bum leg and i didn't want to see him get hurt. So i went alone.  Family joined me 10min before the finish...i guess better late than never.  The 5k was cake, felt good, about 26min, 4min transition, then bike time. After 5k on bike i felt my right calf cramping (not good).  Shortly after, i pulled over to heighten the seat (had just picked up the bike from bro-in-law as his mtn bike had slicks whereas mine didnt). The stop meant my calf wanted to cramp up more, so i said better make this stop quick. Got back on and "took it easy" a bit and shortly after my cramping went away (or i willed it out of my head). After the 2nd 5k completed on the bike (2nd loop around Rose Bowl), i wondered, great, was that my 2nd loop or 3rd?....i'm sure i wasn't the only one i heard stories of people ending after 2 loops vs the req'd 3. I decided it was my 2nd and I was right. Finished the third 5k, no problem. Time for my worst leg: swimming.  I "trained" in a pool 4-5' deep, which let me rest lots... 2/3rds of the Rose Bowl pool was >10' deep! yikes, not good. That meant not much resting and that also meant any 'training' i gained went out the window. I found myself trying some doggy paddle, some freestyle, some crazy chicken (left leg felt like cramping..) i even flipped on my back to "rest", while doing some type of back stroke! honestly, during the 2nd lap (of 3 total; 150M), i considered quitting as i wasn't able to "rest" as well as i was used to....But i'm proud to say i did not quit and i finished!  1hr 18' !  family was there to greet me.  THAT was fun!  50th in 40-44 division; i'll take it!  cheers all; happy running and "stay thirsty, i mean healthy, my friends...

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    2,349. Mar 10, 2012 4:46 PM (in response to AlfNiner)

AlfNiner - Congrats on your tri!  Good for you keeping going. That was an unusual arrangement since normally it's swim-bike-run in that order. For longer distance tris I think the reason is safety. If you're exhausted on the swim after running and biking it could be dangerous, but if you're exhausted for the run you're just slower. I know what you mean about stroke training going out the window - I did a tri in 2009 and it was so crazy with all those swimmers in the water and not being able to see which way to go (it was in a lake) I found myself doing sidestroke part of the time! But your "that was fun" comment makes me think maybe it's the year for me to do a sprint tri again. Perhaps this summer...

Melody - less pain is good, keeping up the ice and not too many miles should help. The April issue of Runner's World has an article on exercises to relieve/avoid foot pain - you may want to check it out.

Slow 3-miler today, long run tomorrow with run group if downpour doesn't come. 

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,350. Mar 10, 2012 6:32 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Got in some good speed work today, with a new workout. 2 mile warmup, then 3 x 200 @ 6:00/mile with 200 active recoveries.   Then 1/2 mile jog, followed by 4 x 6 minute runs at 6:40 pace, with 1/4 mile jog recoveries.

Finished with almost 1/2 mile of hill workout, 6% incline @ 10:00 pace.

8.2 miles total with a total time of 1:08.

Maybe pushed the 6 minute runs, at 9 mph, but I was happy I didn't try to cut them short when I was done. Confidence builder.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,351. Mar 10, 2012 6:39 PM (in response to AlfNiner)

AlfninerX congratulations on your tri! That is awesome. Glad your family was there for you at the finish. A tri is something on my bucket list but that swimming part is something hard to train for, at least for me. BTW I was on a site for the Megatransect in Lock Haven Pa. that I'm doing in Sept and noticed that you were listed as a maybe. Are you registered for this race? If you were lucky enough to get registered in the 90 minutes it sold out in congrats and hope to see you there. Great job on your tri.

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,352. Mar 11, 2012 10:48 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Today was my 3 mile recover run.  It's so hard for me to run slow, I ended up tempo running it.   I signed up for next weeks 1st Annual Kirland Shamrock 5K Run.  I missed out on the registration deadline to get a technical shirt, so I'll have to settle for the long sleeve cotton shirt.    Now I'm thinking how I'm going to incorporate a 5-K race with my long run.   I think, once I reach the finish line, I'll just keep on running for another 8 miles.

Keep the posting coming, it such a motivator reading them all.

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,353. Mar 11, 2012 12:51 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)

AlfNinerX Big congratulations on your Tri!! Whoot!

Julia66 Thank, Julia. When in May is you 10K? Mine is May 27 and I'm trying to knock 12 minutes off my time

jmsab23 and 6xchampsfan Great job, you speed demons!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,354. Mar 11, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I had a great 5 mile run this morning! It's my longest yet and it felt great. Ran through the SOMA past AT&T park along the Embarcadero up to Pier 39. It was cool but nice weather. To celebrate, I had French Toast for breakfast.

I have 13 more pounds to lose and am feeling really good. I'm planning on running the first 1/2 Marathon portion of the SF Marathon on July 29th.

I only wish the SJ Sharks were performing as well.....sigh.... Don't know what's happened to them; they have no spark, no sense of hunger or energy...oh well...I'll save my whining for the hockey board I post on. lol!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...