Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

300592 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Previous Next
  • silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Mar 11, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to edensacres)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Ginny, I am so sorry to hear about your pain not going away.  I hope that you heal soon and can get back out ther for your next race.

Britta, I am happy that the hip is getting better.  I hope that you are finally back out there in full force soon.  If it doesn't get better soon, I'll echo everyone else and say you might need to see the Doc.  As for how much, start slow, listen to your body.  Thats the best advise I can give.

Mary Kay, Congrats on your run today.  I always have the problem of all the swag being gone.  I just gave up and started to bring my own post race refreshments after the race.  Keep running strong.

Debra, Congrats on your run.  Best wishes and luck next Saturday on the 5k.

Penny, thanks for the well wishes.

It has been really nice for the last week in Chicago.  This week promises to be even better with tomorrow's high around 70.  I ran a good 5 miles on the lakefront last week, along with a few 4 mile days.  I haven't felt this good since the last 1/2 marathon in Jan, when I injured my foot.  I am just looking forward to going on my run tomorrow.  I hope everyone is runing well and resting when they need too, be safe,

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    151. Mar 12, 2012 12:21 AM (in response to silentstrider)

Nick, the weather in Virginia has become perfect too.  Glad to hear that you are feeling well.

Britta, Maybe the time off has done some good.  That's the first thing the docs always tell you to do anyhow.

Debra, Good luck in the 5k.  I've got an amphipod fuel belt and I love it. 

Mary Kay, I followed your advice and hardly ran at all this week.  I did 8 miles today after a bunch of days off and felt better than I have in a long time.  I had to keep slowing myself down -- I was trying to crank out miles even faster than my target race pace, which is a really good sign.  Its a bummer that they ran out of stuff for your race.

Eric, I loved the "race report"  Its really cool that you did the volunteer thing.  I'm lucky that I do most of my running in a residential neighborhood, so I really don't get too many car problems.  I've run the same area for almost a year now, so most of the cars wave at me.

Ginny, Sorry you had to bail on the race.  Hopefully you will have time to heal up properly now.  Its always better to take the long view and avoid even more serious injury.  I think you made the right decision.

My knee feels a lot better, although I still do get a slight twinge on downhill stretches and going downstairs, it is almost nothing now.  My legs felt great on my run today, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  On the plus side, the race next Sunday is pancake flat, so hopefully my knee won't be an issue at all.  I'm now in the stage where I obsessively think about the race, check the weather forecast every morning, review all my training runs and generally overthink everything.  This time I have more data, so I've been trying to find the runs I did last year before my half and comparing runs at the same distance to see if I'm faster or slower.  It looks like I'm running faster in every case, with a lower heart rate than I did in pretty much every case.  I'm going to be really dissapointed if I don't break 2 hours this time.

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010

It sounds like just about everyone is making progress in one way or another. 

Britta, keep it up.  Hiking is a great low impact way to rehab whatever was wrong.  Try doing trails that require some extra movements that normal walking doesn't like boulders or something.  Ginny, you'd probably get a lot of benefit from the same thing.  After my big race last year I had to walk for a few weeks to help my recovery so I highly recommend it.  I remember doing finals in college, and I sure don't miss them at all.  Best of luck with everything there.

I did a fun race of sorts yesterday that I wanted to share.  I went orienteering on the CU campus which was organized by the local O club.  We were given a map with checkpoints on it which in this case were chalk marks on the ground.  I chose the time limited option and had 1 hour to find and record as many of them as I could.  The other option was to follow a set course and be timed on how long it takes you.  I love doing these races and highly recommend them to everyone who runs.  I'm so focused on navigating that I'm not thinking about the running so it ends up being a great workout and far more interesting than just running some trails.  Besides, it works out to be great interval timing as well because you stop frequently to record the checkpoint data and figure out where you're going next.  I frequently take my kids along too, and there were several families out yesterday with the kids mostly on bikes chasing their parents.  As a side bonus these are way cheaper than big runs or triathlons.  Yesterday's race was about 5.5 miles around the campus buildings and very enjoyable. 

Andy

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Nick and Mike, so glad you guys are on the mend! Time to get back out there with the extra daylight. Andy, orienteering sounds like a great idea! I'll look into it. Hiking was what started me down this path.

Well, I came in third this weekend - in my division. There were four of us. The good news is that more than thirty minutes separated me and the woman ahead of me so race problems made no difference and there were folks who finished behind me. Not many but some.

Had a bunch of discomfort and then pain starting yesterday afternoon and realized I totally didn't follow through on fueling, went straight back to normal eating and drinking after the race. Oh well. Babysteps.

Just signed up for a 5k and five trail races (they were in a series) for this summer. Any wisdom for trail running? 

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    154. Mar 12, 2012 1:32 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay, Get a good pair of trail shoes from a running store.  Also you need to be a lot more careful trail running.  Until you get used to it, take it slow and be sure of your footing, you can easily twist an ankle or fall, depending on the terrain type.  Congrats on 3rd place, its a great accomplishment.  Run safe!!!

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    155. Mar 12, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Ginny, Nick, Mike and Andy,

I will go and see a doctor. It felt much better while hiking but otherwise the discomfort is constantly there. It is very time consuming to find a doctor though, too many choices in a big city like LA and it is hard to find out over the internet what the doctors are specialized in.. anyway, I am trying my best to find one soon because I just can't take it any longer not to excercise. I just want to run again.... I will keep you updated.

Happy runs to everybody and fast healing to all who are injured as well!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    156. Mar 13, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hello everyone! 

Mary Kay - so awesome for being in the top 3. Congrats.  The hard work  finally paid off.  Have fun with trail running.

Britta - seeing the doctor is probably the best course for now.  Hoping you could find someone soon who can find the what caused it and its appropriate treatment.

Ginny - sorry to hear about not running the race.  Take this time to heal and start carefully on getting to full activity.

Eric - thanks for volunteering.  I really appreciate those kind hearted guys who pass you those cups of water and cheer you on.  Those words of encouragement really help to get me going.   So, thanks again.

Debra - I have the helium fuel belt. It has four 8-oz bottles that can hold different kinds of liquid.  It has a small pouch for my energy gels and lip balm.

Mike - good luck on Sunday's race.  Hope you meet your goal of under 2 hours.

Last Sunday I was supposed to run 7 miles but ended up walking when I saw two friends who were starting the run/walk program.  I walked with them for 3 miles, giving them a few pointers based on my experience.  It was well worth spending that time.  It was like I was paying it forward from all those people who helped and encouraged me with my running.

Monday was finally my day off from work.   Got in for an hour of swimming. Later in the afternoon, I was canvassing around for a good road bike that I could use for training.  When I learned about the prices of those bikes, I think I have to save up some more.  Some bikes were up to $3,000, way out of my budget.  Back to running with my old reliable mizunos.

Run safe and run fierce.

Jun 8, 2011
    157. Mar 13, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta, don't get discouraged. I have moved a lot so have experience with the frustration of finding new doctors. First, LA magazine, whatever the name, probably had an issue spotlighting the best doctors. I've used that as a resource. It worked in Philly. Here in Cincy no one was taking new patients. So then I focused on the teams, i.e. where do Dodger or Rams players go for injury treatment. If you are studying out of a brick and mortar university, ask at the gym who the coaches recommend for PT and Ortho. Universities have staff you might be able to tap into. At your fav running store, look at race literature for sponsors or just ask. I went to an Ortho in Cincy that sponsored a local run but didn't like the particular doctor. His office PT had very few available appointments and I had heard of one closer to me used by folks who took classes with the local running store so I went there. Came to find out from the PT they would do an injury assessment and prescribe PT through my insurance without a doctor so am now getting PT straight from the therapist because they are very focused on running injuries and cured my hip pain with exercise and heat. Good luck. It may seem like a hard thing to do right now but you will thank yourself later once you are back at it and pain free.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Penny, I am also in the hunt for a good road bike so would love to hear about what you end up buying. I wonder if folks sell used bikes anymore or if that is an unwise purchase.

Good runs and recovery!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    158. Mar 13, 2012 2:13 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta -

Like you - I can walk fine (haven't tried any hikes, but the dog still needs walking) but the pain is still there and still intense. Which is why I decided to go to a doctor as well. I have the opposite problem: I live in a small town where there aren't a lot of doctors.  I found an orthopedic group that advertises itself as sports medicine though, so I'm giving them a try.  After I made my appointment, as I passed the LRS I realized I should have asked there.  The owner is an ultra runner and very involved in the local running community.  I'm sure he would know a good sports medicine doctor.  You might try that, or ask some folks at your local running club. 

Oct 23, 2010
    159. Mar 13, 2012 2:59 PM (in response to mkayc)

I feel I should add my 2 cents on road bikes since it has been mentioned.  Having been through that mill a few times there's a few things worth passing along that can help when looking for what to buy. 

First, decide what level of riding you're aiming for.  Just like running, riding ranges from social short distance up to professional grades.  If you're looking to do 2 or 3 hour rides, say up to 50 miles or so, most basic road bikes will do just fine.  Used bikes are fine, and road bikes tend to last a long time but still warrant a good test for condition first.  For something that will get you through short triathlons or bike events most any gear set will work fine so don't concern yourself with them.  My first road bike was a Giant OCR3 and is still used by my family for short trips so they're a good bet.  Any major brand is going to be comparable, but don't let anyone tell you that you HAVE to have an expensive bike ($1000+) to do much.  I rode my first century on that Giant and it didn't have any real issues. 

Second, plan on having some accessories.  A small bag under the seat for tire repairs is essential.  Pack it with levers, spare inner tube, and a CO2 inflator.  The inflator works off the 16 gram steel capsules and is tiny.  Some people prefer small pumps so that's a judgement call.  Also, get a floor pump.  Again, you don't need anything fancy, mine was $20.  Road bike tires are tiny and must be at high pressures to prevent pinch flats when you run over rail tracks or rocks or anything else.  Drink bottle holders are a must and speedo's are nice (not the swimming kind, I can't wear those budgie smugglers!).  Cleaning tools for the chain and gears are also highly recommended but are cheap and easy to find.  Finally some chain lube of some kind is essential, but the exact type is less important.  Getting set up from scratch will probably run about $80 to 100 depending on what you get, but don't forget the helmet.  The expensive helmets let more air through but give the same protection so I never spend more than $60 to 80 on one.  The ones that aren't a solid top do just fine, I just wear sunscreen or a head cover made from a football jersery so I don't look like Darth Maul after a sunny ride.

I have a friend who spend $60 on an old used bike and then another $40 on some minor repairs.  He's still using it 3 years later and does just fine on group rides.  My current bike is almost 5 years old now and has about 9000 miles on it but still rides extremely well.  Yes, they're an investment but with good care they'll last a long time.  If you want a good new bike at more reasonable prices most bike shops will have some or you go online at Nashbar or Performance Bike for examples.  $500 to 700 will get you one that will last and meet all your needs for some time.  An old bike like my friend's can be overhauled for much less even with more significant repairs like the bottom bracket bearing where the pedal cranks go through the frame. 

I hope this helps answer some questions, it can be challenging to know what you might need.  Let me know if you want more specific info but this covers the basics.  At least I get the chance to pay it forward too. 

Andy

Jun 28, 2011
    160. Mar 13, 2012 8:35 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

Ginny, Penny, Mary Kay,

thanks for all your advice and suggestions. :-) You are the best :-))) I am pursuing a few options and hopefully will have an appointment soon! Can't wait my hip to be healed and be able to run again. Honestly last night I even dreamed about my hip pain! :-(

Ginny, sorry to hear that you are still in pain! Let me know how your appointment and treatment goes!

As I am looking into buying a mountain bike soon I happily read your info about bikes, Andy. Thanks!

Happy runs for everybody!

Britta

Britta

Oct 23, 2010
    161. Mar 14, 2012 8:04 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Hang in there Britta, you'll be back on track soon and telling us about your latest victories. 

Mountain bikes are slightly different from road bikes of course but again the key thing is to know what sort of riding you're going to be doing before you go shopping.  If you're doing smooth trails, commuting on bike paths, or other non-stressful riding a cheap bike will do just fine.  They can't handle single tracks with roll overs, rocks, and stumps though so if that's on the menu then plan to spend a little more and get one with double wall rims and front suspension.  I ride a hard tail without rear suspension and do fine but I don't do really technical riding either so it works for me.  Disk brakes are nice and better than rim brakes but only necessary if you'll be in mushy stuff that would clog the rims. 

For any kind of bike make absolutely sure you get one that fits you comfortably.  The frame size is crucial but the rest is adjustable.  Most bike shops offer fitting services where they adjust everything to fit you which is well worth it. 

Mary, those 6:30 starts are tough, aren't they???

Andy

Jun 8, 2011
    162. Mar 14, 2012 12:56 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Andy, ANYTHING that happens before 9 am is rough! life would be so much easier if .... So glad the kids are grown and out. Sleep deprivation is awful!!

Thanks so much for the biking info. I'll be looking on Craigs list for one soon.

Britta, biking sounds like a great idea for you and Ginny. When my hip was at it's worst, I could still sit and bike without pain. That surprised me. Oh, you could ride a Segway, too, but that's a toy - but fun. Take care and get started on healing!

Mary Kay

Jun 28, 2011
    163. Mar 14, 2012 9:52 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Andy,

thanks for the additional information. I am planning to ride the bike on trails, dirt roads etc in the local mountains, and yes, maybe also bike paths at the beach... overall nothing too adventurous yet. It is supposed to become my second sport after running. The only bike I looked at so far was the Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er hardtail. What is your opinion on 29er vs. 26er wheels? If I find some time tomorrow (it is my day off work and priority is a doctor's appointment of course) I want to go to a bike store and look around.

Mary Kay, I hope that bike riding will work for me too. It would be great to have some kind of workout while my hip is healing. Glad it worked for you!

Britta

Britta

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    164. Mar 15, 2012 6:56 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Thanks Andy for the bike information.  Right now for bike training, I borrow my brother's fuji mountain bike.  Eventually, I  would like to get my own road bike.  I initially plan to join a sprint triathlon by  the third quarter of 2013 or even later.  I am looking at the Scott contessa series.  I have 2 friends, one is a triathlete and other is a biker, who are helping me going through all the bike literature.  This a learning curve for me since I really do not have a "technical mindset."  Anything with wheels, screws, and bolts and the like, I pass it on to them.   Anyways, really appreciate the info you have given us.  If things ease up a bit money-wise, maybe I can splurge a bit on the first road bike.

Britta and Ginny - wishing you guys a speedy recovery

Mary Kay - you have lined up an impressive race schedule.  Good luck on the 15k race on this Sunday.

Still, preparing for my second HM.  So far, so good.  No injuries or running mishaps.  I am constantly switching my schedule so that  I can at least run 3 days a week.  Ideally, it would be four but am happy if can get in 3 days.

Run safe and run fierce.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...