Skip navigation

660 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2012 8:58 AM by hoopsterscott RSS
dyjodapa Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 11, 2012 6:19 PM

How to improve in the off-season as a post player?

Hi everyone,

I played basketball for my first year last year in 8th grade. I played post player. I am from Iowa. So I was wondering how I can improve in the off-season?

• Do3w3 Amateur 14 posts since
    Mar 4, 2012
    1. Mar 12, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to dyjodapa)

I always search up some new postmoves and try to master them in the off-season. If possible i get some defense, and otherwise i do it al by myself

• hoopsterscott Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2012
    2. Mar 12, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to dyjodapa)

Hi, As an older hoops player, and one that still works on his game and played multiple positions a long time ago, I can offer this advice for post players:

-Footwork and agility drills will help you the most, most young players don't develop good footwork in the post until later, learn the front pivot, reverse pivot, and sweeps and fake sweeps

- Start doing some light weight lifting to build up strength, develop shooting close-up power shots with either hand

-learn to play through contact, expect it when you play down low

-having a solid, low base will help when fighting for position, also being able to face-up and score plus solid back to the basket moves/countermoves makes you a more effective player

-Develop a 15-17 ft range jumpshot, and learn to work from the short corner & high post, most teams at your level play 2-3 zone and often the short corner and high post is best to take advantage of the 2-3 zone

-One of the best resources I can offer is a DVD called "Better Post Play" from betterbasketball.com, it costs $40 so maybe you could ask for it as a birthday gift or something, it features Jermaine O'Neal & Tameka Catchings. When you watch games on TV, watch the action away from the ball and see how the big guys get postion, even watch womens' games, girls tend to be more fundamentally sound and not rely on pure strength and athleticism

And lastly, lots of sweat, work on a different aspect of your game every day but take a day off so you don't get burnt out..

Hope this helps, if you need some drills to help, hit me back and I'll send you some

Good luck,

Scott

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points