Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

643462 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 ... 327 Previous Next
  • AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,370. Mar 12, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

I took it easy last Thursday (3/8) and Friday (3/9) in anticipation of my race on Sunday, 3/11.

On Saturday, I took a jog around the Stanford campus, did some strides on the track, and I was feeling good.

Sunday, race time, took off way too fast (3:00 first 800 meters), settled in to a 6:43 first 1600m, came by at 18:05 for 4200m, and held on for a 20:55 5K. My last 800 meters was 2:50, even faster than the first 800. 1st Place, Gold Medal, for my age group, and qualified for the National Senior Games.

It was a very unevenly paced and painful run, but I came, saw, and conquered.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
    • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
    • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
    • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
    • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
    • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
    • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,371. Mar 12, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to LMWEL)
    My last run was...how was yours?

LMWEL,

Hello. I have read your post a couple of times and I'm thinking that maybe you just had a bad day. Your nutrition plan seems to be in check and I'm really not that concerned with your hydration. Maybe you bonked a bit due to the warmer conditions. There is a pretty big difference between hitting the wall and being able to tough out an additional mile. Hitting the wall usually ends with the runner sitting on the curb waiting for a ride home. I'm betting you were depleted but still being able to run an additional mile is encouraging.

Now to the parts that concern me a bit. You said that this would be your last long run before the marathon. Can I ask what your maximum long run was during training? Also, if I'm counting correctly, this 17 miler would have been 12 days before your race - this seems pretty high for someone that should be tapering. I'd think less than 2 weeks out you should be concentrating more on maintaining pace through shorter runs and allowing yourself to heal up. I've run a few marathons and I don't believe I've ever seen a less than highly advanced schedule running this long with less than 2 weeks to go.

Please don't think I'm bashing you because I'm not. I'm just trying to get clarification as there may be more to the story.There are a lot of high mileage runners here that may be able to help as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for me - I had an awesome 13 miler on Saturday and a 5 miler in the rain this morning. Broke 50 miles last week and hit 55 this week with my first 22 of the year. I do have to admit that running this morning was a bit tough considering it was actually an hour earlier!! I'll probably be in bed tonight @ 9 . Have an 8 miler in the morning - better get my sleep.

It reads like everyone is still hammering out wonderful runs. The variety here is fun to read and capture. Keep it up!!!

Stay Healthy!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    2,372. Mar 12, 2012 11:37 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

MarathonDream wrote:

Now to the parts that concern me a bit. You said that this would be your last long run before the marathon. Can I ask what your maximum long run was during training? Also, if I'm counting correctly, this 17 miler would have been 12 days before your race - this seems pretty high for someone that should be tapering. I'd think less than 2 weeks out you should be concentrating more on maintaining pace through shorter runs and allowing yourself to heal up. I've run a few marathons and I don't believe I've ever seen a less than highly advanced schedule running this long with less than 2 weeks to go.

Please don't think I'm bashing you because I'm not. I'm just trying to get clarification as there may be more to the story.There are a lot of high mileage runners here that may be able to help as well.

I was reading the same thing, but did not offer any advice as what is done is done -- and it is too late in the game to change anything before the marathon.

I also thought I read that he was riding a 70+ bike ride yesterday. I thought that was a bit different for someone in a taper period.

• AlfNiner Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 10, 2011
    2,373. Mar 12, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to skypilot77)

?Hey all - thanks for all the "congrats"! Felt good and fun. Julia66, it was a 'reverse' tri; i read they reverse them when the swim starting place cannont accomodate a lot of starters or waves. So with a pool, they can rest assured the field of athletes are stretched out by the time they get to the pool. but good point on safety as well, I know i had "drowning" in my head... It sure was fun! I think i can shave 10min off by late summer or so. And i hope to have my family support me sooner than the last 10mins.

6xchamps - me in PA megatransect? negative; i must have an imposter! not.  But i can see people wanting to be like others here and their monster mileage!

Run4Coffee - ha; i like the idea of running through the end of a 5k...nice.

Re: honeydo list - with my recent move, i have a list, but i'm making it smaller each day. And last night we took advantage of the new apt home's jacuzzi; my wife and I enjoyed some much-deserved R&R.

Terranss - sorry to hear about Izzy; it was nice to read about your runs together. But since you're very strong, i know you'll come out charging ahead.

I meant to run this morning, but i was lazy; calves sore, throat feeling weird, and the book i'm reading (Dean Koontz Watchers) got very good at 5am...  so, guilty of laziness. Tomorrow i'll be back on the saddle!

PRs:

11/13/11 - Mission Inn Run 5k Riverside, CA: 23'52" PR

12/11/11 - Holiday Half Marathon Pomona, CA: 1hr 55'50" PR

04/07/12 - Hollywood 10k Hollywood, CA: 48'16" PR

• LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    2,374. Mar 12, 2012 12:20 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Marathondream and Skypilot,thanks for the replies. First let me clear up something, my long run last Thursday was 20 miles and was my longest (and slowest) ever. I took several walk breaks over the last 5 miles but was able to run the 20th. My avg pace was 10:27 I believe.  As far as the schedule, I agree with both of you. This was to be my only 20+ miler and I had it scheduled for March 1st. That didn't work out. I may be wrong but I felt I had to get that 20 miler in before the race even if it was only 10 days out. Also my heart rate was normal (for me) until I started to struggle, about mile 14. I really don't believe I had enough to eat before hand.

As far as the 70 mile ride goes, it was awesome!!  It wasn't a high intensity ride for the most part. It was probably a mistake but I really enjoyed it.

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

Aug 27, 2009
    2,375. Mar 12, 2012 12:41 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Terranss, I'm really sorry to hear about your Izzy. I know how you feel and I feel for you. That hurts!

Currently Training For -

Aug 27, 2009
    2,376. Mar 12, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Anaheim, Congrats on your top finish and also for qualifying.  Very, very impressive!

Currently Training For -

Aug 27, 2009
    2,377. Mar 12, 2012 1:19 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

AlfninerX,  welcome to Triathlon. It's a sickness, an addiction. Congratulations on your first, probably not your last.

Currently Training For -

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,378. Mar 12, 2012 4:50 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

6.26 miles 50 min 7:59 pace. Ran thru champion hills. Misting rain.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,379. Mar 12, 2012 5:37 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Terranss I just read your post about Izzy and I know how  hard it is to lose a good friend. So sorry for your loss.

AlfninerX sorry for the mix up. Guessing someone else is using the same picture as you for their profile. Bummer, it would have been fun to have met you at the mega.

AnaheimHillrunner Congratulations!! That really is awesome. Doesn't get any better than gold. Good luck in the National Senior Games.

MarathonDream and skypilot77 I found both your posts very interesting because I'm always trying to learn from other runners who run these long distances. I have no illusions of ever being a competitive runner but I do love long runs. I did't think biking a couple weeks out was a bad thing so this may be something I'm doing wrong. I have my third marathon coming late Sept. I'll take your advice this time around and maybe do a little better.

Rest day today. Back at it tomorrow. Keep running everyone and keep posting.

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,380. Mar 12, 2012 6:04 PM (in response to 6xchampsfan)

Thanks and gratz to the Pens!! They're on a roll!!! They're one of the teams i don't despise. lol! Now, if you were a Nucks fan, we'd have a problem...hahahaha!!!! jkjk

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,381. Mar 12, 2012 6:09 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Terranss I wanted to add my sympathies to you and your loss. It's really hard to lose a member of the family. So sorry!!

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,382. Mar 12, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Not a fan of the dark early mornings now, but sure do like the extended daylight. I did my 3.1-mile hill run today after work, gutting out the evil necessities of roadwork. I should have done the exact finish I did last week to compare my times, because I probably would have done better today. I was trying to get back to the house to get ready for dinner, so I shortened the run 1/8 mile. Finished 23:42.

Terrans.... Our Husky has a couple big fatty cysts, one on her shoulder and one larger one in her abdomen. Vet says if she doesn't seem bothered by them, don't worry. But we do. The belly one keeps growing. She's about 10, and still active, but we're thinking about our options when that time comes, if it does. My sympathies to you and your family.

Dobrobuck... We volunteerd at three races last year, and while it was different to see the action from the sidelines, it allowed us to check out races we might be interested in running this year, 2 of which we are going to do.

Melody... Rome wasn't built in a day -- easy does it and you'll get there.

Debm... Best wishes for your 10k. Have you thought about your race plan? Pace time? Have you looked over the race route/map? I moved up to my first 10k last year and did fairly well (46:22) by finding two women runners at about the 1 mile mark,  who I asked if I could run with because that's who was near me at my first planned pace mark. I stayed with them until the end, finishing just behind them as they had a strong kick to the finish line. If you want to plan your times/pace, check out www.bane.info. Nice little site to claculate times/distances/paces, etc. It helps me a lot because I can compare my treadmill running mph settings to what I want for my paces. Anyway, good luck!!

Anaheim.... Rock those Senior Games!!!

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,383. Mar 12, 2012 6:56 PM (in response to Terranss)

Terranss - I am so sorry for your loss.   I always loved reading about your runs with Izzy.   She will always be running with you in your heart.     Hugs to you and your wife and prayers for all of you.  We're here for you. . .

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,384. Mar 12, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Those extra rest days due to the scout trip seem to have done me wonders.  A nice 5 mile run tonight - beautiful weather (70!) and extra daylight. I even threw some fartleks in just because I could and it felt great.

jmsab23 - thanks for the link!  I'm still so new I'm not always sure what I'm doing so I don't have a race plan.  I've onlydone one 5k.  I wasn't even really planning on a 10k until fall - the Tufts 10k for Women in Boston - but I found this one by accident - and it fell on a Saturday!  Finding a race that isn't on a Sunday morning is tough and  I don't like to miss church unless I have to. 

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...