Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

862 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 6:42 AM by kris0511
deanscox Pro 107 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2012 10:11 AM

1st 5K Music/Podcast Suggestions

I am running my first organized 5 k in 2 weeks and have been using Robert Ullrey's C25K podcast to train.  Unfortunately he does not offer a "first 5K" podcast.

I am guessing I need music paced to about 11 minutes a mile.  Any suggestions?

• RunningInPGH Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    1. Mar 13, 2012 12:35 PM (in response to deanscox)

Though I don't have any recommendations for music, I would recommend reviewing the race organizer's website for rules regarding headphones during the race.  This may be a small race so it may not be an issue.  But many of the races I have registered for "strongly discourage", if not ban, the use of headphones during the race.  They don't want people running in a large crowd unable to hear others coming up behind them or unable to hear instructions that are being given.

So I would say check into that first in case you need to plan on running without a podcast.

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Mar 13, 2012 9:42 PM (in response to deanscox)

I've done the Great Race of Agoura (their 10K) five times. Although the 5K course isn't quite as scenic as the 10K - it doesn't go through Old Agoura - it does go through some very nice residential areas. My personal opinion would be to just enjoy the race course and the race atmosphere, and leave the headphones at home.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    4. Mar 14, 2012 6:42 AM (in response to crl8686)

I like to train to Stronger by Kelly Clarkson, I also have a lot of Christian music that I like. Skillet's Hero is a good one to get you pumped up before hand. My running club races discourage the use of headphone, but do allow them. I know the St. Jude marathons, did ban headphones, but they are allowed now. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points