Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

856639 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 ... 297 Previous Next
  • SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    4,350. Mar 11, 2012 10:34 AM (in response to Ogr44)
    Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Test

Nov 28, 2010
    4,351. Mar 11, 2012 10:43 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Sorry everyone, just seeing if my messages were going through properly.  Hey, the Conster, sorry it took me so long to reply.  I really don't have any athletic events planned until Corporate Challenge, starting with the 5k on May 5th, so I need some goal events to work towards.  Maybe there is an event where we could meet and do it together, perhaps in Omaha or KC.  As you can see, I am already doing a 5k the day of the Lincoln Half, so perhaps another day.

Everyone - I have lost about 28 pounds since last July, and have another 20 to go to reach my goal.  I have plateaued, and have been stuck at my current weight for a while.  Any suggestions?  I know about the usual stuff, but I was wondering if there was anything I did not know about.  Also, someone told me that since I have lost some weight I should be faster at running, but so far I am not.  I guess that just comes from needing to push myself harder to become faster.  Or maybe I am just destined to be slow and should just accept it.  Any suggestions towards losing more weight and becoming faster would be greatly appreciated.

• Wayna72 Pro 113 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    4,352. Mar 12, 2012 7:08 AM (in response to SloMo2)

slomo I am with you there on the weight loss. I bounce from 188 to 193. depending on what day it is or what time weigh... I have been put on a high fiber diet. not working either.... tried to stop drinking the pop I have been very good with that mostly I dont like the sugar hangover I get with it. so any other thoughts would be great... as for as speed goes it is about the same I think I havnt done a 5k for time since last september that was a pr so I getting faster I think. we will see this weekend. I have a race for st. pattys day then another 7 miles to do. I do have get my speed up. but at the same time I am enjoying my run time I know it will come with time.

Wayna

Will Run 4 Food 5k-56mins (first 5k) 6/5/10
    Walk for Life/Run for Adoptions 9/18/10 51:56
    John 3:16 run 5k 52:57 mins chip time. (all hills) 10/23/10
    Steps for sucess on Route 66 11/22/10 51:09
    Poker Run 2/11 no time
    St Patrick 5K 52mins 3/12/11
    YWCA Race againest Racism 48 min 4/30/11
    Run to the Sun 45:32 9/5/2011
    Route 66 1/2 marathon 11/11 3:43
    Aquarium Run 4/12 3:33
    Tulsa Run 15k 2:22
    Route 66 Marathon. 11/18

• scottdeclan Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 13, 2012
    4,353. Mar 14, 2012 12:04 AM (in response to Donna914)

Everyone - I have lost about 28 pounds since last July, and have another 20 to go to reach my goal.  I have plateaued, and have been stuck at my current weight for a while.  Any suggestions?  I know about the usual stuff, but I was wondering if there was anything I did not know about.  Also, someone told me that since I have lost some weight I should be faster at running, but so far I am not.  I guess that just comes from needing to push myself harder to become faster.  Or maybe I am just destined to be slow and should just accept it.  Any suggestions towards losing more weight and becoming faster would be greatly appreciated...............

Watch 21 jump street movie online

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    4,354. Mar 14, 2012 2:32 AM (in response to scottdeclan)

I also plateaued 20 pounds from my goal.   GRRRRRR   I have tried virtually everything from carb cycling to eating less to eating more, etc.  I lost 80 pounds and just stopped.   That was a year ago and I'm still at this same point.  But I haven't let the number define me (although I do get grumpy about it) and I continue my running, healthy eating, etc.

I also am not horribly fast at running.  Running is a very personal thing.  Some people run fast, some don't.   I can do a 5K at about 12:30 but to go longer distances, I'm at about 13-14 minutes.   I also don't let that bother me.   I like going 7-8 miles at a time and my short distance now is usually 5.   I haven't gotten a lot faster.  Most say to get faster you have to do a lot of speed intervals, etc.   So, anyway, I'm just like you.   I can't seem to get you advice on how to improve but at least you aren't the only one out there.    There is nothing wrong with being slower, really - it is all relative. 

But, keep running and keep eating healthy and don't let either of those things change your attitude to running and being healthy!  

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• MoonlightCellist Amateur 39 posts since
    May 4, 2011
    4,355. Mar 14, 2012 6:51 AM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

Another plateau girl here.  Down 20 pounds since July.  Ugh.  Gonna talk to the doc today about the Engine 2 Diet. 

As far as speed, I let my heart rate moniter set that. 

• amsparky Amateur 10 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009
    4,356. Mar 14, 2012 2:12 PM (in response to MoonlightCellist)

Hi all!

I too was not getting updates - I sure do now! I am still running as well, but got really sick in Jan and am still dealing with worse asthma, which means getting my wind back, so to speak.

I'm so bummed to see everyone's run times - you all say you are slow and while I have improved a lot since I first started C25K, I am still really slow compared to everyone else.

I'm still moving though!!

Take care all!

Started C25k: 3/6/11

Slight break from 3/22/11 - 4/16/11

Currently in: GRADUATED!!

• PhotoChyck Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    4,357. Mar 14, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to amsparky)

Sorry to hear you have been sick.  I can relate to your disappointment with times.  The times some of these so called slow runners look like sprints to me!  I am on the injured reserve hoping to get back to running again.  I developed neuromas in both feet in September and haven't gotten past them yet.  Still icing and hoping!

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    4,358. Mar 14, 2012 5:51 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Wow! Haven't seen the board this active in a long while!! lol!

MelissaGraham7 - Congrats on your sky diving experience!! Since I have somewhat of a fear of heights/flying I just don't see that as being something on my own bucket list, lol!! I totally can understand your view of how running can change our perspective on things. I can't say that I "love" the actual running but I do at least enjoy it for the sheer enjoyment of being outside plus all the things you listed and more. 

Scotty67 - I would love to have you pace! lol! I'm currently at about 11:30-13:00 pace on race days and most training days (just started speedwork once a week) at about 12:30-14:00. I made my 2012 race schedule in late 2011 but have changed it multiple times since. What's on my blog now is bare bones races, I actually have a spreadsheet of about 35 races (most weekend double HMs) as I'm trying to move up in the Half Fantics levels. I think I'll be able to pull off at least 20/23 HMs in 20 states in 365 days but money and travel will be limiting factors. I'm also trying to do at least 4 fulls this year. I've already got a 2013 race schedule made up AND a partial 2014 schedule (Jan - June, I believe). LOL!!

Ogr44 - I hope you had a good winter! How'd your race go?

SloMo2, Wayna72, MelissaGraham7 & MoonlightCellist - I, like others, am there with you on the plateau. I'm about 15# from my goal. I've done a couple of months of the South Beach Diet in the past (before I was running) but I don't want to limit my diet that severely during training. I need to add some additional cross training (currently doing Aqua Zumba and yoga) and hopefully that'll help burn a little more fat. I need to find something because I'd like to have to weight off by late June for a class reunion. Other than that I know I need to cut the Pepsi from my diet...started again after my first half in January and haven't been able to kick the habit again yet. I'm going to also cut the sugar and white flour out as much as possible. Hopefully that'll help kick start things. Add a day of speedwork if you're not doing it already but don't worry what others tell you you should be doing. You're the only one that can judge that and speed with come with time...that's what I keep telling myself! lol! Remember, speed is all relative...what's comfortable to us may be slow to others. I myself would rather enjoy the experience and finish without collapsing at the finish line...if a PR happens then great! If I place in my division that's great! But as long as I finish whether first or last I've done what I set out to do! What's that Penguin saying?  "Yeah, I'm slow. Get over it!"

scottdeclan - You posted the same thing as SloMo2...are you one in the same?

amsparky & PhotoChyck - Sorry to hear about your illness/injury. Be sure to allow yourselves time to heal completely and prevent re-injury/worsening of symptoms. I say that, yet I got a cold last month 2 weeks before my second half and was barely starting to improve when I went ahead and ran the half. Not the best choice. I still have a lingering cough but I think it's more related to allergies and post nasal drip than anything else. I hope you are both able to get on the road/treadmill at pretty close to 100% very soon.

Well all, I have another race the AZ Distance Classic in 10 days in Tucson, then a double (Sat/Sun) half marathons the following weekend in TX (Bloodgusher HM in Midland) & OK (A2A HM in Ardmore). It'll be my first double so I'm curious how I'll do...if I'll be able to run/walk both or just run the first and walk the second. I'm trying to move up the Half Fanatics ladder and have set a minimum goal of 20 half marathons in 20 states in 365 days (beginning the count on 3/25 at the AZ race). Goal for the races...1st - to finish and 2nd - don't injure myself...primarily the IT band as my concern. I have doubles on the schedule (registration not yet paid) for all but one weekend in April and 2 weekends in May...I'll decide to register for them after I see how I survive this first double. In my head I keep telling myself that this is a good way to ease into marathon training...right? Of course $$, lodging, price of gas, travel time are all factoring into my choices for races and the $$ will be the limiting factor as to whether or not these races/this goal happens.

Run happy, run safe everyone!!

• theconster Expert 47 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    4,359. Mar 17, 2012 11:11 PM (in response to MouseRN)

Sorry y'all, it's been a while since I've been on here.

So some of you know i'm actually training this year for my first of three hm in May, the Lincoln Half Marathon. Last year, I didn't train at all, just pushed myself. Well, today started my race season with my first 10k...the Shamrock Shuffle for Make A Wish foundation. Y'all know the crazy weather we've had all 'WINTER" (YES, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE WINTER HERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY)...today was in the 80's, windy, and the race started at 2p.

It was mostly a hill killer...I don't do well with hill killers. Last night I looked up my 10k from last September and was hoping to beat that time...1:43:43. (Yes, I'm slower than the average penguin).I'm practically ALWAYS last. Today, my time was 1:48:00 (ish). We had a gun start, and chipped finish. The timing ended 12 minutes before I crossed. I also had a biker ride the last 2 miles in, and a few old and new friends run me in. The awards ceremony was being held AS I was finishing...so about half of the 500 participants cheered me in. My legs were like jello for most of the race, and I was surprised that they almost gave out after I crossed. I expect that after a hm, not after a 10k.

Anyway, I finished close to my FIRST 2011 10k last April when it was 20 degrees and 35 mph wind gusts on a primarily FLAT course. I've got a LOT of work to do in the next 6 weeks, and have to change up my training to add MORE hill killers in windy conditions. I'm up for the challenge!

Oh, hey SLO MO...I was thinking about the color run in early July...have you heard about that one?

Zumbarunner...Whether shaking it or running it, I'll cross the finish line!

The Conster

Completed Races:

RACE for GRACE-2m Fun Run-4/9/11 (35:03:49)-Grand Island, NE

Richard H. Young Hospital's 5k or 10k walk or run for Mental Health-10k run 5/14/11 (1:47:00)-Kearney, NE

Buffalo County Stampede-2011-Half Marathon 6/12/11 (4:04:00) - (Late Start)-Kearney, NE

18th Annual Olympiad-5k 6/25/11 (49:44)-Kearney, NE

Shelton Stampede-2011-5k 7/4/11 (49:26 pr)-Shelton, NE

Lizzie's Run 5k- 8/13/11 (48:44 pr)-Kearney, NE

Kilometers for C.O.P.S. 5k *inaugural*-8/28/11 (51:52:88 chip), (52:05:59 end) - (First altitude 5k)-Golden, CO

Running To Cure Breast Cancer 10k-9/5/11 (1:43:43 official-pr)-North Platte, NE

Pending Races:

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k-Oct 2

Rebecca Adams Green Foundation Cow-Pie 5k/Half marathon Oct.15

• theconster Expert 47 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    4,360. Mar 17, 2012 11:16 PM (in response to SloMo2)

Slo Mo....have you heard about the "color" run in KC in early July? It looks like a LOT of fun...volunteers douse you in dry paint while you're running. I hear they added a 2nd day to it b/c of so many registrants.

Are you up to hm yet? I"m running in Chicago on Sept 9th...there's still openings, but the price is going up more frequently. I hope all is well!

The Conster

Completed Races:

RACE for GRACE-2m Fun Run-4/9/11 (35:03:49)-Grand Island, NE

Richard H. Young Hospital's 5k or 10k walk or run for Mental Health-10k run 5/14/11 (1:47:00)-Kearney, NE

Buffalo County Stampede-2011-Half Marathon 6/12/11 (4:04:00) - (Late Start)-Kearney, NE

18th Annual Olympiad-5k 6/25/11 (49:44)-Kearney, NE

Shelton Stampede-2011-5k 7/4/11 (49:26 pr)-Shelton, NE

Lizzie's Run 5k- 8/13/11 (48:44 pr)-Kearney, NE

Kilometers for C.O.P.S. 5k *inaugural*-8/28/11 (51:52:88 chip), (52:05:59 end) - (First altitude 5k)-Golden, CO

Running To Cure Breast Cancer 10k-9/5/11 (1:43:43 official-pr)-North Platte, NE

Pending Races:

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k-Oct 2

Rebecca Adams Green Foundation Cow-Pie 5k/Half marathon Oct.15

Nov 28, 2010
    4,361. Mar 18, 2012 1:52 PM (in response to theconster)

My first attempt at this reply didn't go through, so I am shortening it.  No, I am not the same person as scottdeclan, and don't know who that is.  I have done 5 HMs to date, and my PR was in Des Moines.  The conster - is there any way we can communicate off this blog, so as not to clog everyone's inboxes?  I don't do Facebook, but can send you my contact info via snail mail, if you are willing to give out a mailing address.

• MoonlightCellist Amateur 39 posts since
    May 4, 2011
    4,362. Mar 21, 2012 6:27 AM (in response to theconster)

Ran 3 miles last night.  Love running at night.

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    4,363. Mar 21, 2012 6:44 AM (in response to SloMo2)

SloMo2:  I've run the Des Moines HM twice and have registered for this year.  Our son and daughter-in-law live there and he will be doing the full marathon this year.  I like the course and the frequency of the water stops, also the pace group leaders. She usually runs the HM, but their baby is due at the end of August, so I don't know if she will be running six weeks later. 

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    4,364. Mar 21, 2012 9:34 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hi Everyone...I was just wondering if anyone is going to be at the following races in the next month. If you are going and would like to meet up, just let me know!

3/25 - AZ Distance Classic, Tucson

3/31 - The Bloodgusher, Midland, TX

4/1 - A2A HM, Ardmore, OK

4/14 - Southern Indiana Classic, Evansville

4/15 - Go! St. Louis HM

4/21 - New Mexico Centennial HM, Lovington/Hobbs

4/29 - Oklahoma City Memorial HM, OKC, OK (still debating on this one)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...