Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5794 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2012 8:18 AM by NHLA
ericdev Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 14, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 14, 2012 8:31 PM

Run or Rest or??  I need advice.

I'm sure this question has been asked many times.  I just want a quick answer from a pro.

I started running a month ago and really love it.  I've been doing a modified C25K.  I'm in decent shape but never been a runner.  This week I'm run/walking about 4.25 miles 3 x per week.  2/3 running-1/3 walking.  Up until this week my knees haven't hurt at all.  This week they are a bit sore, no sharp pain just a bit sore.  I'm not sure how to treat them?  I rest a day between runs already and I do a thorough stretch routine after every run.  AND I believe I have the right quality shoes.

My question is, what is an exceptable amount of discomfort?  Is it normal?  Should I rest longer than a day?  Should I start taking supplements like glucosamine?

Thanks in advance!!

• deanscox Pro 107 posts since
    Jan 3, 2012
    1. Mar 14, 2012 8:50 PM (in response to ericdev)
    Re: Run or Rest or?? I need advice.

I am in week 8 of C25K and definitely not in good shape, having not exercised in 35 years.   My knees some days and not others, the pain is pretty crazy sometimes, but rarely lasts more than a couple of hours after running.  I would suggest that if you are hurting in a serious way much longer than that, you probably need to ease up a bit....that's what you get from my vast, amazing, 7+ weeks of experience!   The advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it............ymmv.

• ydiez Pro 125 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    2. Mar 15, 2012 12:42 AM (in response to ericdev)

I am no expert either, but here is my two cents.

From what you describe it seems that your body is getting used to running at this moment. This implies some "structural" changes that are bound to produce some sores and pains. How much discomfort is normal? Well it is impossible to tell, my advice here is that you are carefull and listen to your body. As a rule of thumb, if the pain fades when you start running and the muscles start heating up then don't worry, if the pain persist or gets worse, then it is time to stop, treat the injury (rest, elevation, ice...) and if things do not improve after a couple of days go to see a doctor or physiotherapist.

One final thing is recuperation time, you have to give your body enough time between runs so that your muscles can slowly build up strenght and are not too fatigued from last run, this depends on your age and fitness state. For example, I had been running two or three days a week for many years (I am 34 now). Recently I started running more often and followed a training plan featuring 5 running days a week. After a while I realised running tuesday-wednesday-thursday was making it difficult for me to rest, so now I run 4 days, and have 3 rest days from (although in two off them I swim).

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    3. Mar 15, 2012 2:05 PM (in response to ericdev)
    Run or Rest or?? I need advice.

I think there is always a level of discomfort, at least that has been my experience.  I would say look at your personal goals, experiences and future objectives and then adjust your training based on those things.  I would not recommend resting longer than a day, but it depends on how you are feeling, and it is important to avoid any injuries. 

Supplements might be helpful, and it might take some experimentation to discover the right combination for your individual situation.  I always recommend Vemma and Vemma thirst...it is a great mix of vitamins/minerals and energy enhancers. 

• kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    4. Mar 15, 2012 7:22 PM (in response to Jasko123)

I, like the others, am no expert. I've been running for about a year and a half. I have had 13 knee surgeries between both knees, all for meniscus tears and chondroplasty's. I do not take any supplements, but one thing I do and have found is that your body is your best gauge on how hard or not you should run. Like Jasko123 said, you will have some level of discomfort- I LOVE that feeling!!!!  Crazy, huh? Every runner is different, and everyone's body is different. Just listen to your body, and give yourself good fuel for your body to run on, but when there's pain, other than the normal discomfort, your body is trying to tell you something is not right. I have found for me, if I rest about two days before a race, I actually do better than if I run the day before the run. Most importantly you want to try to avoid any injuries. Good luck to you.

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    5. Mar 16, 2012 10:28 PM (in response to ericdev)

Mild to moderate muscle pain a day or two after a run (delayed onset muscle soreness, or DOMS) is common, and normally goes away soon afterwards. You can run through DOMS as long as you don't alter your stride due to the pain.

Pain within a joint, however, is a different story and is usually a sign of injury. If the pain is low level (nuisance level) and does not increase during your runs, you can usually continue to run (cautiously). However, if the pain starts to worsen during your runs, then it is time to cut back on distance and/or intensity and/or hills, and work to strengthen the muscles around the joint.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    6. Mar 20, 2012 6:24 PM (in response to ericdev)

Okay, here's my bit: 

If you're hurting you might do well to look to your form.  Running doesn't really have to hurt...or not much, anyway.  There are methods that teach people to run with a more natural, gentle form that minimizes the heel striking and shocks to the fee,t anlkes, knees, etc. 

I'm not an expert, nor a professional (except in the tree business) but I believe most runners are out there practicing for their next injury by running hard and dumb.  You don't have to!  Read up on Chi Running, Pose Method, and Natural Form running.  Some of it may make sense to you and save you from getting hurt unnecessarily.  You're new at this and haven't honed your bad habits beyond redemption. Read up, ask some questions, have fun and run well!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• FrodeAndersen Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 6, 2011
    7. Mar 22, 2012 7:11 AM (in response to ericdev)

I'm going to add my 2 cents here.. not an expert but am dealing with a knee issue right now. There are many different ways of having knee issues or pain, and whether to run through it or not will depend on what you are dealing with. There is muscle soreness which isn't bad. There is IT Band issues which is not good.. and joint pain which is not good. Right now I am dealing with joint pain which I have never dealt with before.. yay.

Anyway, I would highly recommend adding icing and elevation into your after-workout routine. Lay down, put your feet up higher than your body and wrap your knees in ice. It only takes 10-15 minutes and your knees will thank you for it. I bought wraps that stay flexible even when frozen and they work great. I also do specific knee stretches before I ice.

• JenzoWA Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    8. Mar 22, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to ericdev)

My knees get achy/sore when my hips/IT bands are tight.  Using a foam roller helps significantly.

• artiefxst Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 15, 2012
    9. Mar 23, 2012 4:52 AM (in response to ericdev)

Hi Eric ,i don't see any harm in giving your knees 2 or 3 days rest.

I recently had a long run for me-15 mi. and gave my knees three days off .

A little time to recover will not set you back,and it may keep you healthy so you can keep running and enjoying it.

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    10. Mar 23, 2012 7:51 AM (in response to ericdev)

As long as it's a dull pain then it's probably just your body adjusting to it new use. Try a compression knee brace for a few weeks to help keep the muscles warm then, if it helps, take it off after a few weeks and see if that helps. Also try going on a bike ride one of the days that you are scheduled to run. It will help with your training, but is very low impact on the knees.

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    11. Mar 26, 2012 8:18 AM (in response to ericdev)

Buy the book Running Injury-Free by Joe Ellis. All your answeres are in there. Every runner needs this book. Also Chi & Pose running to help your form. Take MSM and flax oil.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...