Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

676225 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 ... 327 Previous Next
  • jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,415. Mar 15, 2012 5:35 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Ran 8.6 miles on a new route today, moderate hills, but mostly flat. A little cool when I hit shady spots, though, as the temp only reached mid-to-high 40's. Finished in 1:08. Felt OK at end, but quads were getting a little sore. Stretched a little extra, hoping it would help keep the soreness down tomorrow when I go back to work. Hate that.

Melody... I feel so bad for you while you're dealing with your injury. Let the healing take its course.

Anaheim.... I checked the results for your Senior Games, but I didn't see any 5k races. Then I saw the times for the "marathon," and I think they called the 5k the marathon. Unless someone can run a REALLY FAST marathon.

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,416. Mar 15, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

Ran a trail 3 miler after work today. 66 degrees and mostly cloudy. Felt ok but my first run since Sunday with 2 rest days and a day of biking. Far from last week when I had 25 running and 23 biking. Going to hit it tomorrow before volleyball but will keep it short till the weekend.

MelodyLea I wish you a speedy recovery. I hope the news from the doc is a good as it can be. If you can't run maybe he'll let you bike to keep up your conditioning. Keep us posted. Some times it's not as bad as we think.

AnaheimHillrunner nice times on your runs. Especially on tired legs.

Keep running everyone. The weekend is coming whch means so is my long run. Can't wait.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,417. Mar 15, 2012 7:06 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Rest up Melody.  You don't  want to turn it from a stress reaction to a full-blown stress fracture.   But that stinks!  Do you have access to a pool for some pool running?  Healing prayers coming your way. 

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    2,418. Mar 15, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

No running for me for a while.  Doctor said my injury was a pelvic stress fracture.  I'm really bummed.  No racing this season and I don't know when I'll be able to start running again.  I have a stationary bike, so hopefully I can burn a few calories, but it won't be the same.  

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    2,419. Mar 15, 2012 8:57 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)

I am so sorry Ginny... I had hoped that you would get better news than that.  The stationary bike and pool work will help you keep in shape.  If you can go swimming, that will help your fitness.    I was going to suggest to you tonight - if you cannot run, help by volunteering.  Personally, I had almost as much fun volunteering and cheering them on as I do with running it (and, just think ... no sweating, no pain )

Melody - I agree with the others - take it easy.  Do not let it get worse - as you can see from Ginny's post, you do not want to be sidelined for a long time.

As for me - I have been mobile reading, so here is my recap since Monday

Monday - speed work on the treadmill.  1/4 mile at 7 mph then 1 minute at 5 mph.  Did this for 1/2 hr.

Tuesday - I did speedwork again - but this time outside.  3 - 1 mile runs with 1 min walk in between.  I have a nice down and back for the 1 mile.  Hills on both ends.  Mile 1 9:23, mile 2 9:25 mile 3 9:13 (I think those are correct.. I posted it elsewhere and do not have my note pad handy)

Wed:  off

Today:  Not so good - just way too tight.  Calves, shins, feet all tight and not really working together.  My right foot cramped up at the 4.5 mil mark.  Was scheduled for 6 miles tonight.  I could not get to the point of running in the forefoot - even after 3 miles, still was running flat footed.  The right knee twinged as well... I know it was from my poor runing form.  To top it off, shin splints are back in the left leg... not a good day...

One last note.. check this vid out on youtube:  http://youtu.be/iE5YK7R5Oug.  Great motivational stuff

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• CKLindsay Expert 49 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    2,420. Mar 15, 2012 9:25 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Oh my goodness I have some catching up to do. I've got about 30 emails in my inbox to go through. Every one has certainly been busy.

I spent a week adjusting to my time zone change. Then Monday I felt guilty for not running at all so I took the stairs to wor instead. 7 flights of steeper than average stairs. Tuesday I finally got the running shoes out and ran from the pier in Hilo to coconut island park, around the island and the back. About3 miles, but I didn't realize my gps wasn't tracking until I had gone way past where I thought it should have given me an update. Was going to swim in Kona, but my body said it wanted to stay in bed and I agreed so yesterday was a rest day. Today I did about 3.5 miles including five minutes of cool down and form work. I'm following the run/walk hm programn for marathons for mortals. So Borge runs were 3min run/2min walk.

The plan calls for 5 days of work outs (3 runnin 2 cross training) and I'm worried it might be too much with my schedule. But we'll see.

Keep running and keep posting!

2013 Races:

the 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 23 1:49:16 (PR)

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Edinburgh April

Rock 'n' Roll Half Philly, PA Sept

2012 Races:

The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI Feb 25: 1:51:45

Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, Philly, PA Sept 16 2:46:05 (PR)

Completed Race:

2011 The 8 Tuff Miles, St. John, USVI 1:58:25

• apeppel Expert 57 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2,421. Mar 16, 2012 2:38 AM (in response to GinnyinPA)

So sorry, Ginny!  That really is a tough break (pardon the pun)!  I can definitely relate in that I've been injured in the past and have been out of commission for a time.  But, your unintentional hiatus seems like it will be for an extended amount of time.  Hope you heal quickly and that you can get back into running as soon as possible. 

2011 runs:

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer (1/2 marathon), Rochester, MN 02/14/2011 1:53:02 (PR)

Red, White and Boom (1/2 marathon), Minneapolis, MN 07/04/2011 2:00:37

Chicago 1/2 Marathon - 15th Annual, Chicago, IL 09/11/2011 2:10:13 (Ran "cold" after 7 weeks of NO running)

2012 Completed runs:

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer 5K, Rochester, MN 02/12/2012 23:04

St. Patrick's Day Human Race 8K, St. Paul, MN 03/18/2012 37:30 (PR)

Fools' Five 8K, Lewiston, MN 04/01/2012 37:33

Stay Out of the Sun Run 5K, Rochester, MN 05/18/2012 22:43 (PR)

Med City Marathon Relay (6.42 miles), Rochester, MN 05/27/2012 50:25

Red, White and Boom 1/2 Marathon (5-mile version), Minneapolis, MN 07/04/2012 37:15 (PR)

Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon, Chicago, IL 07/22/2012 1:48:57 (PR)

2012 Projected runs

Twin Cities 10-mile (registered via lottery - Yay!)

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2,422. Mar 16, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Oh Ginny I'm so sorry to hear of your injury!  Believe me I know how hard it is to have to stop running for a while, I've been off for a few weeks already.  The thing is I know I have to follow doctor's orders in order to be able to return to doing what I love so I am trying to stick to everything by the letter!  And I have to tell you the support from the people on this board has been fantastic in helping keep my spirits up, so make sure you check in from time to time.

Melody, take it easy on that foot.  A short respite now for it to heal is much better than a longer forced "vacation" later!

Update on my progress - I have hardly any pain in my back & leg now except if I sit for too long.  My doc was on vacation this week so I'm waiting til he gets back to ask about how soon I'll be able to try running again.  The weather has been so nice I've been able to walk to work on a regular basis, and DH and I have been taking evening strolls.  Every morning I still think "what a great day for a run" and have a moment of self-pity, but then I continue on my walk to work and enjoy the sunrise.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,423. Mar 16, 2012 8:38 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

4 hours hiking with family and dogs yesterday at DuPont Forest. The water was up so the Falls were beautiful. 10 miles 1 hr 25 min running today. Sorry about all these injuries. Get well soon.

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,424. Mar 16, 2012 8:41 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

What an unbelievably NUTS week! Work, Run, Work Run - repeat!

I can always count on reading cool stories on this thread though. Those of you that are injured take the needed time to heal up and come back strong! Runners can be a very stubborn species and we tend to have thick skulls. Be smart and get yourself on the mend.

It's been very warm here in Ohio as well. Be sure to slow down if your breathing becomes labored. This thick air doesn't move in and out of our lungs like cool winter air. It will take some time to acclimate so be sure you're taking it easy.

HUGE week here so far and it all culminates with a 22 miler tomorrow!!!! I think I'm prepared and can't wait to get it started. I have green beer to drink for Pete's sake!

Be smart everyone and have FUN on St. Patty's Day. You've ALL earned it!

Stay Healthy!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,425. Mar 16, 2012 9:30 AM (in response to MarathonDream)

AnaheimHillRunner Thanks. Sounds like a good time to rest up for you.

jmsab23 Hope those sore muscles improve. Thanks, re: my foot.

6xchampsfan I hope your long run this weekend is sweet! "Some times it's not as bad as we think." You were right!

Debm2011 NHLA, and Ericd3043 Thanks so much, ((hugs))

GinnyinPA I am SO SO sorry about your injury! Crumb. Hang in there and keep posting here so we can cheer you along in your recovery.

OshCat Wise words, thank you. I'm glad your moment of self pity is only a moment. You'll be back in no time!

MarathonDream "Runners...tend to have thick skulls." <~ True!

I got GOOD news from Dr. It's not a stress reaction but likely an injured tendon...meaning just two weeks off from running. I'm still going to become a "Gym Chick" to keep up my cardio. Dr. suggested stationary bike and weights., ice, anti-inflammatory and different shoes. Seems the "minimalist" shoes are not for me. She reccomends Mizuna, since I supinate when I run. I AM fining the bright side of all this.

Lessons learned:

1. More cross training (stronger muscles mean less injury)
    2. Way more calcium. I'm mid-menopause, lactose intolerant and forgot all about calcium supplements!
    3. I'm not the best candidate for the minimalist movement.

I plan on coming back to my running schedule a stronger and wiser runner!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• AnaheimHillRunner Amateur 26 posts since
    Jan 4, 2012
    2,426. Mar 16, 2012 12:28 PM (in response to jmsab23)

jmsab23, Yes, I am perplexed why the results for the 5K show the race as "Marathon". I am thinking that it is a minor glitch in the app that is used to export the results to a PDF file. "Marathon" is probably hard coded in the table.

• First race after a 13 year absence was a 5k in September 2011 in a time of 23:00.
    • Timberwolf 5k Irvine, CA, February 18, 2012: 21:39.0
    • California Senior Games 5K, March 11, 2012, Stanford University: 20:55
    • Pasadena Senior Games 5K, June 2, 2012, Cal Tech: 21:52
    • Southern California Association USATF Masters Championships 5K, June 16, 2012, Pasadena, CA: 21:43
    • Marina High School 2-mile All Comers, August 16, 2012, Huntington Beach, CA: 12:38
    • San Diego Senior Games, Track and Field, 3000 Meters, September 22, 2012, San Diego, CA: 12:05

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    2,427. Mar 16, 2012 2:11 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Another warm beautiful 70 degree day here in central Pa. I ran another 3 mile trail run this afternoon. This one had a extra meaning because I was in A Fib again. Started having problems off and on 3 days ago so I called the doc. They mailed a heart monitor to me and I recorded my heart before and than again after my run. What I been telling them for years now is now documented. I was in A Fib before and back to normal rhythm after.. I am really running for my life. lol. This is one time running is the cure. They still don't like that my heart rate drops and I have skipped beats on some days I don't run or bike so thats why the monitor. They will figure it out.. or I guess I just can't stop running.

MelodyLea I am so happy for you. 2 weeks will go fast and you will be better than ever.

MarathonDream 22miles is a looong  way. Good luck and enjoy.

GinnyinPa I very sorry to hear about your situation. Try to stay positive and I hope you will keep posting.

Good to hear from everyone. I hear the bride calling so got to go. Grandaughter has gymnastics and we are going to watch. Awesome.

Keep running everyone.

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,428. Mar 16, 2012 5:15 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

I am soo sorry Ginny!  Stay strong and heal - do whatever the doctor wants so you can get  better faster.  Please let us know how things are going.

OshCat, I'm glad you're mending and that the moments of self-pity are short.

Melody - good news indeed.  Sounds like advice all of us women can learn from:  cross train for strength and don't forget the calcium (those chewy chocolate flavored calcium supplements are delish).  Take it easy until the dr. lets you run again.

NHLA, sounds like a great day of hiking

6x, you are truly a miracle!  Whatever it is, keep doing it.

Tonight was approx 3 miles - 44 degrees and raining/drizzling.   I took my new compression socks out for a spin and so far so good.  Time will tell . . .

Happy running all.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,429. Mar 16, 2012 6:10 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Cold and rainy here today, ran inside after work. Did a good, quick tempo run on the TM, finishing 4 miles in 28:22, for a 7:05 pace. Tomorrow's supposed to turn warmer, so I may finish the week with a hill run or do some speedwork on the TM.

Forgot to mention in yesterday's post about my outdoor run...... I found myself running a little too fast a couple times, so I thought I'd try the "breathe through your nose to slow yourself down" trick I read and mentioned last week. BUT.......I found it nearly impossible to breathe through the nose when it's continually running and sniffling in 38 degree temps!!! Oh, well, I was happy I even remembered something, even if I couldn't use it.

Ginny...... I had to look back to see what your injury was. You said it was a weird pain in a new place, and it seemed to hurt more when running fast, but you could run slowly for a while. That's a good sign, if you can still do it. Hopefully it means the injury wasn't that severe and you can return to normal soon.

Melody... I kept thinking about how coincidental it was that your injury occured soon after you tried the minimalist shoes. I checked out the new Nike Free shoes the other day, but they looked like some sort of sandal or croc over a flimsy mesh shoe. I don't see myself trying those.

6X...... If your  "treatment" or "cure" you discovered proves to be the new thing in heart treatments, maybe you can parlay the findings into some kind of retirement fund!!

Happy St. Patty's Day, all Irish and Irish wannabes.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...