Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2756 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 10:02 PM by Bob Kurihara
linda Usher Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 4, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 25, 2012 12:16 PM

Electrolytes

Does anyone have suggestions for electrolyte supplementation during longer distance triathlons?  The past few years my times are being ruined by leg cramping, mostly on the run, especially after 1 1/2 hours of racing.  Drinking Gatorade and sucking down GUs does not help relieve the debilitating leg cramping.  I know some people take electrolyte capsules throughout their race. I would be afraid to attempt to swallow a capsule while racing.  I just about choke if I even take a vitamin pill. Does anyone know of a product that works and is easy to ingest?  Please help!!

• Ipull400watts Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 21, 2009
    1. Feb 25, 2012 3:19 PM (in response to linda Usher)
    Electrolytes

If drinking Gatorade and sucking down GUs is not helping with the cramping, chances are electrolytes are not the problem.

There are many more likely causes of your cramps. The most common is simply you are racing above your fitness level. If you were to slow down, you would most likely not experience the cramping. Cramps are also caused by overstretching the muscle. If your bike saddle is too high, you may are stretching your calves with each pedal stroke, that can result in calf cramping. Or if you are a long time cyclist or if you have a desk job, you may have shortened hip flexors/quads from being in that seated position. If you suddenly decide to pick up running, which is a very upright posture, that could also result in quad/hip flexor cramping.

BS Nutrition

www.WhiteLineCoaching.com

Feb 21, 2009
    3. Feb 27, 2012 7:33 AM (in response to linda Usher)
    Electrolytes

When during the races do the cramps occur? How long into the events?

You could try something like Clif Electrolyte Replacement Drink

Or Infinit Nutrition at: http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

No pills required. I would also agree that taking little capsules would be difficult.

BS Nutrition

Feb 21, 2009
    5. Feb 27, 2012 3:46 PM (in response to linda Usher)
    Electrolytes

I asked because if they are coming on that early in race, that points to the cramps not being electrolyte related. During the run of an Ironman, possibly, but not after only 2.5-3.5 hours. That timing increases the likelihood of the cramps being intensity related.

BS Nutrition

• tripolson Pro 75 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    6. Mar 1, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to linda Usher)
    Electrolytes

Linda,

Gatorade is pretty low in electrolytes even in non-dilute form.  If you're diluting it further, you are getting very little electrolyte at all.  I haven't reviewed the research for a while, but my recollection is that 200mg of sodium per 8 ounces of fluid was optimal for absorption.  Gatorade has about 110 mg per 8 0z. serving.  It's worth googling "sodium concentration in sport drinks" to look at the research yourself.

Several other products have a higher concentration of electrolytes.  I've used Clif and Powerbar in the past.  The Powerbar formula in particular suited me because it was substantially less sweet-tasting than Gatorade or, God forbid, Powerade.  Unfortunately they quit making ice tea flavor, my personal favorite.

If you feel the need to dilute your drink, you can add electrolytes.  Hammer Nutrition has electrolytes in powder and capsule form.  Other than a tendency to separate out if you don't shake your bottle before drinking, it works pretty well.  I've also simply added table salt to my drink to increase sodium.  Although it doesn't sound that appetizing, toward the end of endurance workouts a little added salt tastes better than you'd expect.

Whatever you do, experiment in training so you know what to expect in a race.

Good luck.

• c362137 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009
    7. Mar 7, 2012 6:36 AM (in response to linda Usher)
    Electrolytes

Hammer Endurolites or Soy Sauce packs from the Chinese resturant.

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    8. Mar 7, 2012 9:47 AM (in response to linda Usher)
    Electrolytes

I second the Hammer Endurolites.  I train in the AZ summer heat so have used them alot for training.  Most of my races aren't during the hot time of the year so I usually only take one before the start of a longer distance race.  If it is a longer race I've usually got some salty cashews or nuts in my bento bag.  I've never tried soy souce packets - interesting.

• Angel_32092 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 16, 2011
    9. Mar 7, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to linda Usher)
    Re: Electrolytes

I like Propel Zero.  It's simple, easy to find, and doesn't have sugars or heavy flavor.  i've tried a few of the different electrolyte shots, but they tend to gag me when i'm working out.  Gatorade is definately a good one if you're not too woried about the sugars, but the G2 doesn't have much.  Also, Pickle Juice seemes to quench me and settle my stomach, as well as stave off cramping.  I'm not to sure on the medical reason why, it does carry a bunch of sodium, and after a couple of hours it makes me feel re-energized.

• DevinCT Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2009
    10. Mar 14, 2012 11:31 AM (in response to linda Usher)

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I agree that it's probably due, in part, to lack of fitness. However, I suffer from the same problem (I need to ramp up my game!) and I sweat A LOT. Like abnormally so. It's genetic. So, I'm constantly battling cramping/dehydration when I race or workout. Cramps destroyed my time during my first Olympic last summer. I'm in a constant search of a magic formula that will eliminate my cramps (almost always my quads).

My drink of choice is now Pedialyte. Yes, it's a little more pricey than anything else, but it seems to help a lot. It has way more electrolytes than any other drink I know of.

DO NOT buy the name brand stuff (unless it's the powder packs - there's no generic for those). I've found the best place to get them is the store I hate most: Wal Mart. The bottles are like $3.49 and are like 32oz. They also have the best price on the 8-pack of powder for around $8 or so. I'll use two packets per 32oz of water. Yes, it can taste sweet. But you can dilute it a bit. I wish there were more options but the manufacturer seems to have pretty tight control over the stuff and you can't find it anywhere else for cheap. CVS has it, but it's almost as expensive as the brand name.

I also pop a few Endurolytes before I start a workout/race.

Outside of working out, I like to drink stuff that's high in sodium, potassium, etc. I've become a big fan of V8 juice. It's good just in general.

After all that, I still cramp up. But I'm beginning to increase the intensity of my training, so hopefully my body will adjust accordingly. I hope.

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    11. Mar 14, 2012 12:18 PM (in response to linda Usher)

BASE Performance and Infinit Nutrition is the way to go.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• Bob Kurihara Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    12. Mar 16, 2012 10:02 PM (in response to linda Usher)

Check out First Endurance products. I live in AZ and the EFS products don't stay on the shelves of most bike shops during the summer.

I've used Hammer product before, but EFS works for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...