Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

16524 Views 63 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2012 9:28 PM by deanscox Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011

deanscox wrote:

Need some advice. I would like a podcast that will help me stay on about an 11 minute mile pace for my my first organized 5K in a couple of weeks.  Suggestions?

Sorry I cannot be more speciffic, but I think there exist some "musical compilations" made specially for the C25K program. I suggest asking the people in the C25K thread, they will probably know.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010

Dean,

I am 53 year-old... and ran my first 5K 2 years ago.

About music to run to... I listen to music on the radio or in my collection and make note of songs that seem to have a good beat to run to.  I put them on my mp3 player and try them out.  I'm pretty sure Apple has an app that will give you the beats per minute of songs you have in your collection, which could be helpful.  Some say you should be running at 80 to 90 strides per minute, so you might want to look for music with 160-180 beats per minute.    I've never actually gone to the trouble of counting beats per minute though.

I'm not sure what the terrain is like where you live, but you should start introducing hills into your program.  Hills make a huge difference.  The 5K I jogged today was on a very hilly course. 

When you do run your first 5K.  Don't let it bother you that "the pack" of elite runners takes off at a 5 minute mile pace.  You should be comfortable enough at that point to know what a comfortable pace is for you.  Your goal should be just to jog the whole thing.  Don't worry about being slow or being way behind the pack.  That will come with time.  If I ran consistently year-round, I'm sure I'd have better times. 

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

Nov 7, 2011

Congratulations!

Keep up the good work, from now on it is just a matter of enjoying your runs and, most probably, seing your running pace get faster and more comfortable.

Current PB:

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

Nov 7, 2011

deanscox wrote:

Thanks Ydiez, tonight I started a new program from Fastest5k.com that is aimed at trimming down my time.  4 weeks until Run Seal Beach...tonight I did speed work...definitely stretched my lungs out.....I am still coughing...but it feels GOOD!  Cramp in my right calf that I am using me 2 inch rolling pin on to try and roll it out.  It has rolled out miles of pasta dough, so I guess I can roll out a little cramp!

I probably need to drop 20 lbs, down to 165, That should cut, what?  about 2 minutes off my 5K?

I personally would not worry too much about weight, from the information you provide you do not seem to have any weight problem so probably if you keep on running regularly you should see your body slowly evolve towards its new "runner" shape. I personally have lost about 3kg since I started running quite a lot and, although I am not at my lower weight ever I probably "look" thinner than ever, so I guess the body slowly changes and fat is slowly replaced by muscle.

I guess it is also interesting to keep in mind some dieting concepts even if it is only for the sake of generally balancing your diet: here is a link about this from runner's world.

Current PB:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points