Skip navigation

1500 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 5:09 PM by ChantelleSmith RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2012 12:23 PM

2012 Fayette Charity Classic 10K, 5K & 2K Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2012 Fayette Charity Classic 10K, 5K & 2K below Back to event details page.

• YoungerNextYear Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 18, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 2012 Fayette Charity Classic 10K, 5K & 2K Reviews

My wife and I (married 37 years) ran the 10K together. We finished side by side holding hands! Lot of fun! For good causes! Well organized! Law Enforcement did an EXCELLENT job controlling traffic! Volunteers worked hard and made it all seamless! THANKS! We'll do it again next year!

• mcompagno Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

While I am very happy to support charities, and realize this is the first time that they have included a 10K run, I found many things lacking in this race that made me reluctant to run it again.  On the positive side, there were MANY volunteers that did a great job, and they were everywhere along the course to make sure that traffic did not interfere with the race, was well as the local police.  There were also many tents set up for the charities that were being supported.  There was only 1 water stop, but bottles were handed out which made it easier to keep running.  On the negative side:  1.  No instructions on how to get to the parking lot for the race.  No signs AT ALL to direct race traffic.  We drove around in circles for 15 minutes as a result, and had to stop to ask for help.  A simple sentence "Enter off of Jeff Davis" on the web site would have been sufficient.  2.  Insufficient restrooms.  There were only 3 latrines - and a LONG, LONG line at the beginning of the race.  3.  Poor/missing distance signs.  We saw the 1 mile sign at 2 min 34 sec...  4.  Running beside traffic.  Since the race was almost entirely along two very busy streets, they closed off only a single lane, which is expected, but made for a rather unpleasant run.  5.  Not enough bananas.  10K was last to finish - by then, even though I was not at the end, they were long gone.  6.  Time cards not separated at end.  While I have no problem with not presenting awards (I would rather the money goes to the charities) I would have liked to known how I competed against those in my age group - not just a big stack of all female competitors.

• betpar Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 18, 2012

This was my very first walk/run and signed up for the 2K and will most likely "upgrade" to the 5K for the next one I do.

Not knowing exactly what to expect, I can say that I was a little disappointed 1)  that the route was not made clear for the 2K.  Even with the number of volunteers, they didn't seem to know exactly where people were to go. 2)  Fortunately I was there early enough to use the portapotty before the line grew to very long just prior to the beginning of the race....so think perhaps there should be more for next year. 3) Did not get an explanation of the card we were handed at the end of the race or what we were supposed to do with it.  Had to ask other racers for help on that one.

All in all, I had a great time and look forward to many more - will definitely do this again next year.

• j.mazz Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 19, 2012

My friend and I walked the 5k and were very disappointed with the organization of the event, specifically, the route.  It did not match the map that is posted on the website.  The volunteers gave conflicting instructions, that is, if they had any instructions to give.  There were barricades set up where there were no people.  We were concerned about those in the 10k because they appeared to be running in circles.  However, after reading the few reviews before me, perhaps that wasn?t an issue???  I'm not sure who decided on the number of port-a-potties but three was most certainly insufficient.  On a more positive note, the expo area was very nicely set up and easily accessible.  I was able to park close to the event and had no trouble getting in or out.  I will gladly do this again next year, I liked being able to ?choose my charity.? I hope the course will be more clearly laid out, with correct mile markers and signs sending each race in the right direction. 

• NanaandGoose Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 19, 2012

This was my first race and I was very surprised at how unorganized and unmarked the race routes were for the 2K and 5K participants.  Clearly, the race needed MUCH better signage and organization regarding routes.  Standing at the finish line, I was hearing from the 10K runners about the lack of sufficient, USABLE water stations (water bottles were available but cups that they could grab and run were not) and how this did not help them at all, and the lack of distance signs -how far they had run at certain points along the way.  They told me this is how they know to adjust their speed and energy. Some more planning in needed in these areas.  I do hope that the organizers are able to hear all the reviews and that the race next year will be better. 

• Hobbitga Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 12, 2012

The race had some good points and some negatives.  The course was well supervised, with police and volunteers everywhere.  It has a potential of becoming a very big race. 

Negatives include no mileage markers to determine where you were on the course except of the 1 and three mile markers.  No times given on the course.  I'm still waiting to see race results posted somewhere.  It was for a good cause and I enjoyed the run.  But, If it is going to make it changes need to be made. 

My suggestion is to make it a St Patrick's day run.  The wearing of the green a theme.  E.g. giving green running shirts.  Kiss a shamrock help your favorite charity.

In conclusion organization needs to be tighter.  There was lack of direction at the registration area, signage needs to be better.  Even when the race was over there was no clear direction on what to do next. I would like to use the time for Peachtree but have no idea how.

If I make suggestions I should be willing to help, and I will be happy to do so next year.

Joe from Fayetteville

• Fayette Charity Classic Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 13, 2008

YoungerNextYear,

Thank you for the complement.  I think I actually have a picture of you and your wife crossing the finish line holding hands.

Nov 13, 2008

M Compagno,

Thank you for your feedback.  It is very important to get comments from the participants to help us in years to come. 

Do I understand that you like a bottle of water rather than a cup you just want more water stations? 

Parking: this was definitely an oversite in planning.  You are right would should have made parking more clear and direction signs and volunteers to help.

Bathrooms:  Funny you should mention that because had kept an eye on them during registration and all was well.  About 15 minutes before the race was about to start, bam a line as long as the 10K.  I have seen this issue with every race I have participated in as well.  As the number of runners increase so will the port-a-potties.

Mile Markers:  We have had several comments on the mile markers not being visible.  We were complying with the postings according with USATF, but I think we can comply and still make them more visible for the runners.  The mile marker 1 that you saw 2 minutes into the race was actually for the 5k.  We will do a better job is distinquishing between the two races.

Traffic:  Since you were running on state routes 85 and 314, GA DOT does not allow the road to be completely closed down.  I feel Fayetteville PD did an exceptional job with traffic along the route.  A task I would not want to take on.

Bananas:  Sorry about the bananas, but I actually saw a gentlemen after almost all the participants were gone leaving with quite a few.  Not sure if he got there before you did.  We will work on manning the table to prevent gultiny.

TimeCards:  We will be going with a timing company

Awards:  I agree, we should have a least announced or recognized the top racers in each age group.

I hope this answered most of your comments and I sincerely hope that your give the race another chance. 

Nov 13, 2008

betpar,

Thank you for your participation in the first Fayette Charity Classic.  We do have somethings to learn and with your comment along with other we can definately do that.

I know the port-a-potties were an issue right before the race.  I guess everyone scurried there right after warm up to ensure that they didn't have any interruptions during the race.

I appreciate someone helping you out with the timecard at the end of the race.  We  will go with a timing company in the upcoming year to take the confusion out of the that.

We will definately work on the markings for the 2K and 5K to be better marked for navigation ease. 

Thanks again

Nov 13, 2008

J. Mazz

My deepest apoligies for the confusion on the 5k route.  We have done the 5K for the past 4 years and didn't feel it would be an issue.  Unfortunately, we didn't think it out from a participates stand point of your may not have done this route before.  Our main focus for the 5k/2k is to have more volunteers and better markings as well as a lead bicyclist who knows the route.

I believe the 10kers had no trouble with their route but thank you for your preception.

Several comments have been made on the port-a-potties and will be carefully measured next year.

I hope you will give us another chance next year.

Nov 13, 2008

NanaandGoose,

Thank you for your feedback.  As I have said in previous replys, feedback is very important. We will always strive to provide a better race and experience each year and your feedback is how we can do that.

I have heard mixed comments on the water stations with bottles.  Some say they liked them because the could drink and run at the same time.  Others didn't like them because they were to bulky.  Maybe we have a selection of both so the runner can decide.

We have had several comments on the mile markers and it will be addressed at the next race.  The markers we hung according to USATF specs.  We are looking at ways to stay within the standards of USATF and more visible for the runners.

Thank you again for comments and I sincerely hope to see you again next year.

Nov 13, 2008

Hobbiega (Joe)

Thank you for your feedback.    The Fayette Charity Classic was formally known as "March for Meals" and is held on the 3rd Saturday in March for the last 4 years.  This year just happened to fall on St. Patrick's Day.  Although I like the St. Patrick's Day theme as well our focus is on the charities of Fayette County.

I know the mile markers were an issue.  They were hung according to USATF guidelines but know that we are seeking way to stay within the guidelines and make them more visible to the runners.

We are also working on better directions and signage for registration, parking etc.

We do want to make this race better as it grows and your comments will help with that.

If you are interested in volunteering next year, please email your information to FCClassic@fayss.org.  If you plan to participate in the race,  there are many things to do prior to the race we could use help with.

• danceintherain46 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 20, 2012

THE WORST! My family and I ran the 5-k to get a better official peachtree qualifying time. All of the fastest runners, (which we were among), were sent on a 4.5 mile   route not a 3.1 mile route. The 1st place runner ran it in nearly 28 minutes when his normal time is 18 minutes. There were incorrect mile markers and no signs telling you where to go and the volunteers had us do two switchbacks even when I asked them specifically and told them we had already done this route once.  I have been running races since'97 and I have never seen this happen. When the volunteers figured out the mistake they started sending walkers and runners the correct way which actually caused some of the slower runners to finish before us. My daughter was the lead female runner, leading the pack, but other runners ended up finishing before her. Her expected finish time was under 23 minutes but she didn't actually finish until over 32 minutes passed. Obviously we won't get our Peachtree Road Race Qualifying time or the PR we expected either. This was a JOKE! And we will never support this race again.

• ChantelleSmith Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 14, 2011

Not Even a Real Race -

This was the worst race I have ever participated in in that it was lacking in the most important aspect of a race that claims to be USATF certified - the 5K course distance was inaccurate - Extremely inaccurate - and participants were directed the wrong way by volunteers during the race, making a 5K into a 4-4 1/2 mile run!  This race is advertised as the last chance to get a Peachtree Road Race qualifying time, which makes this large organizational error even more ridiculous.  For a race advertising that, you would expect knowing the course would be the top priority of the race director and volunteers. 

Additionally, at the end of the race the race director was not even available to discuss what went wrong and no apology was made. 

There are no awards for this event, which I knew going into it, so that was fine.  However, there were not even enough t-shirts, and after running the extra distance I don't even have anything to show for it. 

There was also only one clock for both the 5K and the 10K, which would pose problems even if the 5K distance had been accurate. 

To sum it up, this race did not fulfill even my lowest expectations, and as it was not even an inaugural event, I will Not be returning. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...