Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

297987 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Previous Next
  • NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    165. Mar 15, 2012 8:28 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

I'm glad that I can help clear up the confusion on all the bike issues.  There is soooo much out there it can be worse than looking for a car.

I have several friends who ride 29's and they all say it's a smoother ride but you can't make the really tight turns with them.  Marin's a good brand, I personally ride a Specialized Hardrock model on the trails.  Any major brand will do well, just don't buy a bike at Wally World and expect it to take much abuse.  The 29's will have good rims, just make sure any 26's you look for have the double wall rims or they will be far more likely to buckle.  Suspension components are nice but be aware that the fancier they are the more it takes to maintain them.  I deliberately bought some basic ones because they don't need much but high end ones with gas shocks need a rebuild yearly which is not cheap.  That fact isn't advertised very well.

In the road bike realm, Scott has a good name.  Fuji, the Specialized Dolce, Felt, Trek, Giant, all will be able to deliver a quality bike.  That's not a complete list but again, just don't bother with one from a mass retailer because they just aren't intended for event level use.  Get one that fits and you'll enjoy it for a long time.  Penny, your friends will be a great help.  By the time you enter a triathlon you'll just breeze through it.

For my part I'm planning 'Hill-a-palooza' on Saturday.  It's a 10 mile course with lots of rolling hills that I need to hit hard for the best interval effect.  My HM in April has 3 major climbs in the first 6 miles so I'm going to be doing a lot of hill repeats and high intensity work over the next 5 weeks.  It won't be pleasant but the results are well worth it. 

Andy

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    166. Mar 15, 2012 4:35 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Hi everybody!

Update :-) I finally got an appointment... I got diagnosed with iliotibial band syndrome. Got an anti-inflammatory medication prescribed (hopefully I will be able to take it as I usually react severely to prescribed medications) as well as physical therapy. The doctor also gave me some printouts about exercises I can do. She said that my legs/thighs are rather weak and that I need to strengthen them. She was confident that I will be running again soon and thought that it still could be possible for me to run a half marathon in May.

Andy, I got a chance to go to a bike store today. I looked at several bikes, the sales person recommended a few... so I will do some research and hopefully be able to testride them on the weekend. I mainly looked at mountain bikes (26er versus 29er) and also one hybrid bike which had better tires than other hybrids. I am excited.... can't wait to buy a bike! :-) Have fun on your weekend run... it sounds intense but good!

Happy runs and/or races to everybody else as well!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    167. Mar 15, 2012 8:18 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Hey guys... been a few days due to a trade show in Baltimore.  Just some thoughts:

1) This was in a seminar today -  powerful stuff.  I am going to use this as a motivation while training for this season.....http://youtu.be/iE5YK7R5Oug.

2)  If you happened to be running in downtown Baltimore today - thanks... you gave me motivation to get out tonight, even though I was on my feet all day at the trade show.

3)  Proven fact - guys running (shirt or not) are not a pretty sight.  However, I think most guys would acknowledge there is nothing more beautiful than a lady out there putting a good workout in.  I have tried to convince my wife of this fact and she just does not buy into it (maybe because she cannot stand being around me after I work out)

4) Can you really get a quality work out in when running in a downtown city?  I would have loved to run in downtown Baltimore but... you would have to stop all the time for traffic and people...

In other comments:

- Interesting comments on the bike.  I have a 20 year old road bike and need to replace it.  I will have to remember things mentioned here

- Britta, I guess that is good news that you might be able to be back in time to do the next 1/2.

- For me- the runs have been varied... Monday - I did my 1hr aerobic classes then did 30 minutes on the treadmill, working on speed... 1/4 mile at 7mph then 1 min at 5mph.  I did this for most of the time.  Tuesday, After 12 hrs at the trade show, I did a late run.  I ended up doing speed work again.  It was a great run - 3 miles 1st mile : 9:23, mile 2: 9:28, mile 3: 9:13. I did a 1 min. walk in between each mile run.  Considering it was supposed to be at my 5k pace which has been 10 min/ mile - not too bad.   Skipped Wednesday and pushed it back to tonight.  It should have been 6 miles at 12 min/ mile.  It ended up at 4.5 miles at about 10:30.  I could not get loose - calves, thighs and feet were all tight.  My right foot cramped up at the end and I was really running flat footed.  Just could not get in a rythem and gave up when the foot started hurting along with the knee a little.

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    168. Mar 16, 2012 8:32 AM (in response to Ericd3043)

Eric, sorry to hear of your struggles. Hope it's just a passing thing. Listen, there is nothing more sexy than a man exercising unless it's a man doing a really good job at parenting or being a husband. Was just thinking as I started my run the other day that there isn't much I wouldn't do to have an active man in my life on a regular basis right now so I could smell his dirty Ts. It may be just me. The running started out being my outlet for all my *frustration* and ended up making things worse - or better, depending on how you look at it. Women can suffer from poor self-image from societal influences and there could be other personal reasons. Just try to be understanding; you probably can't fix this but can support her efforts when possible. I know it's hard to watch but it's a long-term process, won't happen over night. The neat thing about aging (speaking for myself) is that once you accept that you've entered middle age, you start liking yourself a lot more. So, there's something to look forward to.

Britta and Andy, thanks for the bike primer. I'm tempted to stop in the store in a few. Have two days without running, race anxiety, nice weather and NEED A RELEASE! Of course, housecleaning - forgetaboutit.

Enjoy this great heat!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Jun 8, 2011
    170. Mar 18, 2012 1:08 PM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie, it would be so much fun if you could do the Ault Park race. I'd love to meet. I haven't seen the course but it's going to have to be some version of one long downhill and one long uphill because of where the park sits. It's called a switchback so maybe that's taking some sting of the incline or just making it longer. I'll run it ahead and give you the scoop if you want it. Even if you don't do the race, see if you can fit in a run. The race is short so I should be able to do both.

Today's race - I finished at my same old speed of 15 mm. I should have done better but the body wasn't with me. Kept the HR above 130 and below 140 but this meant walking 75% of the last 5 mi. Maybe just because it was morning or trees are all in bloom, Idk. Got to the spot an hour early and found the finish line. Learned that lesson! It was nicely organized with a gate and tons of pottys at the start; there was never much of a line. Course was Riverside Drive, a 4.5 m. six lane to eight road out and back along the river with breathtaking views of KY, the river and sky. I would highly recommend this race!! There were pottys (6 spread out) and hydration stops (3) with Gatorade and water all along and no major obstacles. Medics on motorized vehicles everywhere. I saw one with a volunteer tending to a young woman early on. They even had two Minis acting as pacecars for the leader; that was kinda classy! And, endless food and drink after. The gave us grocery bags! I usually miss all that because I'm so slow but they were running a 5k at 10 am. Best part, though was the medal. It is soooo nice to have one finally. I Want! 

On the downside, I took a warm soak and then immediately felt nauseous. I'm wondering if I should have sat in an ice bath instead. Went to bed and slept if off and just feeling very uncoordinated but awake.

Is there a difference between building endurace and conditioning? I need to work harder on whatever it takes to make the body use O2 more efficiently. Thinking my HR was a response to breathing problems and muscle endurance isn't going to be much use if I'm constantly breathless. any ideas?

Run strong and have fun out there!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

Jun 8, 2011
    171. Mar 18, 2012 1:59 PM (in response to mkayc)

Forgot - a little braindead. Saw a MotoActv yesterday and fell in love. I want! Anyone have history with it? I will be selling the Garmin Forerunner 305 that I bought in August. Still have the box and all, including HR monitor.

Mary Kay

Oct 23, 2010
    172. Mar 19, 2012 10:37 AM (in response to mkayc)

Mary, nice job on the race!  I wouldn't be too concerned with pacing right now.  Just finish the races and enjoy the accomplishment.  After a big run/ride/whatever I usually try to drink lots of my sports drink and eat any leftover energy stuff with a half mile radius.  It tends to help with the after effects which I think is what you've described. 

You're right that endurance and speed training are very different.  Endurance training involves a lot of slower paced runs, most of which will be shorter 3 to 5 milers during the week and 7 to 10 milers for HM training.  When I'm building for a new distance I don't worry about speed at all because I'm more concerned with finishing the race than doing it fast.  It's pretty demanding to try to get faster and go further at the same time.  You're on track to finish the HM in about 2:40 allowing for more improvement by race day, is that acceptable?  That's a decision you need to make, but I'm happy to just accomplish a new endurance goal and then look at improving on it later. 

Personally I'm pushing to get a sub-2 on a HM this year so I'm doing a lot of faster short runs and hill repeats.  I already have the endurance from last year so I'm pushing the aerobic threshold instead.  Hill-a-palooza went well on Saturday with the 10 miles taking 1:40 so I think I have a chance for my April race.  My ace in the hole is that there's lots of races around here so if I don't get it on the first one I'll keep trying until I get one.  I'd prefer to finish that goal quickly because I'm thinking of joining a local cycling club ride in late September that's about 125 miles which will require some training given it's mostly in the mountains.

Either way rest up, get stronger, and you'll smoke that pig. 

Andy

Jun 8, 2011
    173. Mar 19, 2012 10:45 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Ahhahahaha! Love smoked pig!!!! Thanks so much, Andy, for the reminder.

Forgot:

Anyone who is a fan of Bondiband headbands (to stave off the flop sweat) I got notice of an online deal with my last order. Buy 3 get 1 free; coupon code is ONE. five for $25, coupon code is FIVE. @ www.bondiband.com. I do not work for them, just like their product.

Mary Kay

Jun 8, 2011
    174. Mar 19, 2012 3:26 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Oh my goodness, Andy, you dear dear man. It just sunk in. Maybe I could run the HM under 3 hr. HA! I'd be happy with that, as long as they kept the course open for me. I asked local running store if I could join their HM training group now and they are ignoring me. I know the owner and could use that but am wondering if maybe I'd be happier training to my own schedule now that I've been on my own this long and am so slow. I hate the feeling that I have to apologize for being slow (or for being older) to a bunch of folks who are twenty years or more younger and haven't got a clue how hard I've worked and good I feel just to be that slow.

Congratulation on the I:40 on the hills !!! You'll make your HM in under 2 hr., no sweat! How about a bi- or triathalon now that you are biking? The shirts are so nifty!

Mary Kay

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    175. Mar 20, 2012 6:04 AM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay - congrats on last Sunday's race.  Don't worry with 2  more tune-up races lined up, as andy says you'll surely smoke that pig! After long runs or intense workouts, I usually take  Promax bar.  It is a good recovery supplement. They come in various flavors, peanut butter and cookies and cream.

Britta - try to be compliant with all the doctor's orders, the meds, PT, and strengthening exercises.  They will help you resolve the iliotibial issues and as soon as it resolves, you run your HM race in May with the doctor's approval of course.

Stephanie - so happy to hear that you are back to running.  I am cheering you on for the June HM.

Eric - never tried running in a busy downtown city.  I would definitely have a hard time navigating through traffic, people rushing in and out, stoplights, etc.  Unless, I am running early morning or late evening, just maybe I can try it.   As per the wife, it might take some time.  She might be encouraged when she notices the running benefits in you.

Andy - a sub-2 HM, that is so awesome.  Nice work on last Sunday's hill-a-palooza.  Btw, I got to  check out a Merida Scultura Juliet bike. 

It will almost be a full month before my second HM.  Trying to squeeze in morning and afternoon runs whenever possible.  Was not able to do  my long run this Sunday, planning on doing it mid week.  Is it okay to  do a long run on Tuesday,  then easy runs for the next 3 days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)  rest day (Saturday)   then another long run on Sunday? This week is kind of crazy at work and family.

Run safe and run fierce.

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    176. Mar 20, 2012 7:40 AM (in response to pennymt)

A short hello from me to everybody! :-)

Mary Kay, congrats on your race! :-)

Penny, I will be trying my best....I have PT this Thursday and it will be interesting to hear what they say and teach  me. Sad thing is that  it is very expensive and my insurance will hardly pay anything (plus they raised the deductible!), so I will not be able to afford many sessions over there. Also I will be looking into getting accupuncture. I am a big believer in accupuncture and heard that they also treat sports injuries. Also I read on the internet that they treat IT band issues. It is just another option  I am looking into. Regarding the meds... well, turns out it is another one my body doesn't like. Got a few of the side effects of which they say to stop the medication if they occur... I will try and go and see a doctor on Thursday or call them to get another prescription. Also yesterday I went for a walk (no run, just a regular walk)... about 2 miles in my neighborhood and I could feel my hip afterwards :-( I am slowly getting very frustrated again....

Andy, I was able to check out some bikes on the weekend, as well as test ride them. The ones I like so far are the Kona Kahuna and Kona Mahuna... but buying a bike is like a science, so much to know and there are too many choices as well! Glad to hear you had a good race on the weekend!

Have a great day everybody... and thanks to everybody who is reading my vents about my hip and wishing me well! I am glad to have found you guys... and hopefully will be running again soon!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

Oct 23, 2010
    177. Mar 20, 2012 8:09 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, if you're doing short easy runs after a long one then emphasize easy.  It does depend on how long your big run is too.  Personally I'm exhausted after Hill-a-palooza but hope to get in something tomorrow.  With nearly a month to go I wouldn't push yourself to the max on the long run so you'll get more benefit from being able to do the shorter ones.  Sometimes you need to push yourself to exhaustion to get certain benefits but if you're just working on your endurance keep the effort low enough that you can do all possible runs because you'll get more out of it that way.  Merida is a great brand, I know pros who ride those and love them.

Mary, it can be hard to find a good training group.  I don't run with my own tri club because I can't keep up.  I do most of my training with my dog or on my own.  Some sporting clubs will offer group runs that cater to all levels and they're great for learning and motivation.  We know you're putting in some hard miles and while we can't run with you we at least try to share in your journey's highs and lows here.  Don't apologize for anything to anyone and go smash that 3 hour mark.

I wasn't going to give a resume but maybe it's worth a mention.  I took up road riding in 03 and since then have completed 3 centuries (100 mile rides), I lost count around 24 metrics (50 to 70 mile rides, 62 miles is 100 kilometers and sometimes referred to as a metric century), started triathlons in 08 and have done about 10 sprints, 1 olympic, and my current crown jewel was last year's Boulder 70.3 half ironman.  I haven't kept track of the 10k runs but there's about 3 or 4 a year and have done about 3 stand-alone HM's.  Now you understand why I have a base fitness level that allows me to do these crazy events, I'm always out doing something.  When I started riding a 5 mile ride was a big deal, but I kept at it and soon was doing lots of fun stuff.  It has all just sort of grown from those humble beginnings and I'm loving the results.  I was absoutely stunned one day when I realized I said to a friend that any rides under 35 miles were considered recreational.  Now I don't usually do 5k races because I don't see them as value for money when my typical morning run is that long.

The key point here is that everyone on this thread is now in the 'fun cycle' as I like to call it.  You get out and do events and have a great time.  Because you have a great time you do more stuff.  Because you do more stuff you get more fit and can do better and have more fun.  Then it all repeats because now you want to do more events and have more great times.  It's classic inertia because once you get moving you tend to stay moving. 

Stay moving, enjoy the journey.

Andy

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    178. Mar 21, 2012 6:09 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Britta - make the most out of the PT sessions.  Just ask the therapist if they can create a home exercise program that you can do on your own.  Maybe you can ask them too about pool exercises.  These are low impact exercises and gentle to the joints.  Try to stay positive and stay focus on your recovery. 

Andy - you are such an inspiration! Reading your 'resume' showed me I am way too far from a fitness baseline that can finish even a sprint triathlon.  But I am really gung-ho in trying one by 2013.   I got a swim coach to correct my swimming technique making me a more efficient swimmer.  I got the  power paddles and pull buoy training aids.  I can see the difference in my strokes and not too breathless after an 800-meter swim.  But still a bit apprehensive of starting the swim leg, having nightmares of being kicked and elbowed by the other swimmers.  After my HM in May, I am going to increase my mileage on the bike.  I am the recreational rider at this point.  Thanks Andy for the  advice regarding the long runs. 

Run safe and run fierce.

Oct 23, 2010
    179. Mar 21, 2012 8:48 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Re: Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Penny, you'll do fine at a tri if you can handle the swim.  If you can already do 800 meters well the rest will come easily.  Just stay to the outside of the swim lane and you won't get too much traffic.  I also deliberately let the wave start ahead of me.  I'm a slow swimmer and am usually in a fierce battle for last place on the swim leg but I make up a lot of ground on the bike.  The fun part of tri's is everyone had different strengths.  Sometimes you can find smaller races or ladies only races which might be less intimidating.  For what it's worth, your apprehension is exactly the same for everyone who wants to do a tri for the first time.

Britta, IT band issues are fairly common.  One of those Konas would serve you very well in low impact strength training.  I'm not sure how much it would help the IT issue, but my research on shin splints has shown that bike riding is good for strengthening the muscles that prevent them and after coming from a cycling background I never really had any issues with either splints or my IT bands.  For me, running was more a matter of toughening up for the higher impact it involves.  Some form coaching helped and I use Asics Kayano shoes which help a lot.  One other thing that may or may not be relevant is that I walk 3 or 4 miles a day with my dog partly for recovery and partly because he needs to get out too.  From what you've said you're still in the early recovery stage so take it easy for now.

Andy

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...