Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1965 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2012 3:00 PM by BT.ROB
ZacMorris65 Rookie 5 posts since
Feb 4, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 1, 2012 11:25 PM

so many questions

Hello and thanks for reading, this (2012) will be my first Tri season. I am a clydesdale athlete (5' 10" 58chest 38waist 32inseam) WETSUIT! is the question can they be trimmed because all the ones i find that would fit my torso but also fits a person 6' to 6'5" so the legs and arms would be too long for me, any info or recommendations on this and a tri suit would be awesome because im at a loss and need someone whos been there and done that... ha. thanks.

• ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    1. Mar 2, 2012 10:47 AM (in response to ZacMorris65)
    so many questions

Zac, I'm not goint to say "been there, done that", but I am a clydesdale as well, and know what you mean about the fit of a wetsuit.    But, something that changed the game for me was both my swim coach and tri coach saying to go with a sleeveless wetsuit.  Wow, much easier to get into a sleeveless suit.  Now I understand the sleeve issue is something you will need to resovle, depending on where you are, but just something to consider.  Know for sure which you need, because I believe that will make a huge difference.  The chest fit much better without the sleeves pulling on the shoulders.

As the suit sizes get bigger, it seems they are meant for a taller person, not necessarily for a rounder (hey, round is a shape, I'm in shape ) person.

Good luck in your triathlons this year.  This is my first year doing a tri, after three duathlons last year.

Just my $.02

I tri, du you?

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Mar 14, 2012 1:51 PM (in response to ZacMorris65)
    so many questions

Different brands are going to fit differently.  If its possible you should go to a tri shop and let them help you pick a suit because they'll be more familiar with the different cuts.  You might want to try renting a suit for a few days to see what it feels like before you purchase.  I was lucky enough to have a friend about the same size who let me borrow her suit.  I found out that I prefer a sleeveless suit like ACKMANN.  You can always buy the neoprine sleeves to wear with a sleeveless suit.

• BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    5. Mar 19, 2012 3:00 PM (in response to ZacMorris65)
    so many questions

I love ACKMANN's comment about "round is a shape, I'm in shape"!! That is priceless. Unless you live in a climate like mine (and Portland isn't) where the local lakes freeze over and the water temp in the summer is still in the 50's, I would go with a sleeveless as well. A full suit for a taller person that fits your torso will have knee and elbow locations in the wrong place for you. Remember, these are very fitted and somewhat unflattering for a lot of us. As for cutting the sleeves and legs short, that would probably void most warranties and may cause problems at the seams without some finishing of the ends. My first season, I rented a wetsuit each time and the local shop gave a store credit towards purchase.By next season (if you decide you like doing tris, which is another reason to rent first) your shape may be different as well.

Good luck and have fun.

BT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points