Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

656421 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 ... 327 Previous Next
  • countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,460. Mar 19, 2012 4:55 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

Hi Everyone!

I'm a little behind on my reading/posting. Congrats to all who raced this past weekend. There are some seriously speedy people here!  Happy Belated Birthday to Terranss! ---> I'm in the "32 is so young" camp as well :-)  Awesome photos ORcoastrunner. To those of you dealing with injuries--Ginny, Melody, Oshcat, OldPlodder, and anyone else I've missed--my thoughts are with you and I wish you a complete and as speedy as possible recovery. 6X--I'm glad the running is helping with your problem and I hope the doctors figure things out for you.

On my side, I've been in a bit of denial about my own injury/pain. Pain in right calf that appeared several weeks ago after doing a tempo run on the TM. Nothing severe--reminded me of the shin splints I experienced last year when running in worn out shoes. Also, I often experience some sort of minor (and brief) discomfort after the TM, so I didn't think much of it. It isn't severe, but just enough to let me know it's there.  I seem to feel it on some days more than others but the fact that it is sticking around after so many weeks is bothering me. I did my 18 mile long run on Saturday without any major pain but have decided to take 2 rest days in a row and am icing, taking ibuprofin, elevating. I might do a short run tomorrow to test the waters. I'm about 6 weeks away from my marathon. I'm willing to sacrafice my shorter runs this week but really want to try to get in all of my long runs if possible.

Have a great week everyone!

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• NHLA Legend 354 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    2,461. Mar 19, 2012 5:08 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    My last run was...how was yours?

7 miles 58 min. and mowed the yard. Hot and humid.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    2,462. Mar 19, 2012 5:59 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran a 4-mile TM tempo run last night, 29:22.

Tonight did some weights/strength/core exercises and 15 minutes on the stationary bike while the wife was using the TM. Then I figured I'd get in a couple speed laps, so I did some 400s, starting at 7mph. One each at 7, 8, 9, and then 10 mph, then turned it down to 6 and ran up the ladder again. Getting used to the 9 setting, but the 10 still makes me wonder if I'll make it all the way.

Long run planned for  Wednesday, and it's supposed to be in the 70s here in Maine. Thursday might reach 80.

Still anxious about the April 7th half.

Terranss..... 32 ?!?!?! A long time ago for me. But I wasn't running anywhere as fast as you are now. Great work!! Happy Yourday!!

ORCoast... Great line about the new type of biathlon.

Country..... I do most of my running in the winter/spring on the TM. There are no lights out here in the country where I am to run on the streets at night, and they are very hilly/windy/dangerous. I have some type of injury in the back of my right knee (muscle??). It's been there for a few months. Nothing major, but when I twist/turn it, it hurts some. On the treadmill, I don't have to worry about landing in holes, on rocks, or the side of the pavement, etc. to turn my knee, so I feel better about doing my workouts, especially my speed workouts. So I feel better about the TM, and the comfort of home. TV, music, warmth, etc.

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2,463. Mar 19, 2012 6:08 PM (in response to NHLA)

WOW This is one busy thread lately. Not sure where to start after another crazy week on the road.

NRDgirl Great time at a great race. Had several coworkers run the same. Good to see you posting again

Run4Coffee, NoogaTiger16, Scotty67, and RunnotsoslowDan Savor the moment. Thats the one we all train for. Congrats.

Terranss Hope your Birthday was special. I'm sure you had some crazy trail run with a super fast time to celebrate. You made me think of my 32nd Birthday 27 years ago. lol

Melody Lea , Ginny, Oshcat,Old Plodder Wishing you ALL a speddy recovery. Remember while your healing. Your recovering body will respond quickly to proper nutrition.

Jmsab23 A week late but my two cents in regards to Half Marathon tapering. You already got excellent advice However My last four races I did my longest run 3 weeks out. I paid special attention to my pace during my midweek steady runs the two weeks prior. Decreased weekly mileage from 25 miles per week down to 18- 20. That worked great for me.

I'm doing my upcoming HM in May different. I tweaked my plan to make my long run my Tempo run. About 30 - 45 seconds slower than expected race pace with a few surges mixed in.  My midweek runs are now my easy runs. I started TRX and am working on increasing my core strength. Doing, planks, lunges, push ups etc etc. I'm hoping this will ALL help make me a little faster. It is my intention to run my race like a tempo run with negative splits.

Sorry if i missed anybody I haven't been posting much but do read all post as often as possible.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2,464. Mar 19, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

MelodyLea – Don’t worry you’ll be running soon enough.  Better to heal first you’ll recover just don’t over do it.

ORcoastrunner – Nice pics.  Looks like Hawaii only 50 degrees colder… brrrr

AnaheimHillRunner – Yes that’s a 5K PR for me.  I recall running in the Navy back in the early 80’s when I was 20 years old, I ran an average pace of 5:05, but that was then and this is now.  Lol

jmsab23 – Now that’s a work out

Webpro11 – Thanks and train hard it does pay off, just don’t get injured.  Listen to your body.

Well this weekend was busy.  Sat 5K, Sun 13 miler, Mon 3 miler in FREEZING COLD WEATHER.  We need to jet stream to invert so we can get some of that warmth in Seattle.

• isewinsf Expert 48 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    2,465. Mar 20, 2012 6:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi Everyone!!!

Kudos to all of you who had great racing times! I hope those who are healing heal fast and well. Thanks for the Soda Bread well wishes. It was delicious!   And yeah, it's all gone.   I gave some of it to a friend of mine so I wouldn't eat it all myself. lol!

Just got back from a hard 2-mile hill run. I'm quite happy that it's about 10 degrees warmer this morning, at 50 degrees than it was yesterday. I brought gloves and didn't need to wear them. Crossing fingers that the weather continues to warm up.

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,466. Mar 20, 2012 7:04 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Good Morning RUNNERS!

I tried to get here over the weekend but the site seemed to be extremely sloooooooooow. I'm not sure if I was just impatient or it was really an issue.

It reads as though we had yet another wonderful weekend! I hope everyone was able to get out and enjoy the sunshine and have a few green beers!

Sat: 22 miles in 3:15:14. The weather was a bit warmer than I'm used to but it certainly beats the cold. I think we finished the last 5 or so in the high 60's to low 70's. I felt pretty good when we were done but I was a little sore on Sunday.

Monday: 5 miles at recovery pace. First couple were tough but the legs finally got the hang of it. HA!

Tuesday: 7 miles at normal pace. Felt much better.

It's going to be 83 here today so I think the top is coming off the Jeep today at lunchtime. I can't wait to get the heck out of work and enjoy the weather.

Stay Healthy!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• MelodyLea Legend 329 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    2,467. Mar 20, 2012 5:08 PM (in response to isewinsf)

One week and one day until I can run again. I'm "power walking" and enjoying it, although it is NOT the same! But, I am determined to follow docs orders, so I'm marking the days. The foot feels great, though.

Debm2011 Nice job on your 7 miler

ORcoastrunner Fantastic, gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing them with us

OshCat I'm with ya on all those calorie burnin' walks...we can do it.

Dobrobuck 10 miles and a bike ride! Whoo...sore legs?

apeppel Wow, you have had a roller coaster ride of running injuries. Nice job on your 8K!

AlfNinerX How is the knee feeling?

NRDgirl I am SO inspired by your 1/2! Really good for you.

countryrunner1 Wow, very best of luck with that calf soreness. I bet a rest will help. Fingers crossed!

jmsab23 Stay cool in these odd spring temps.

Webpro11 Very good point about the nutrition.

Run4Coffee Thanks! Yep, just ONE week till I can run again. Nice miles this weekend.

isewinsf and MarathonDream Nice job!

My Fine Art Website

1980 Humboldt Redwoods Marathon

Best 5K time: 31 minutes

Best 10K time: 1:12

First 1/2 Marathon: 2:43

Raised $4491 for animal charity through running

For 2013:

Memorial Day 5/26 10K- I hope to raise $3000 for animal charity in my "Run For The Critters"

Maine Marathon 9/29- I hope to finish 2:30

• Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    2,468. Mar 20, 2012 6:12 PM (in response to MelodyLea)

Nice pix ORCoastRunner!

After my 7-ish mile run on Sunday and the 1.5 hours of hiking that afternoon I felt great.  But when I woke up Mon. morning I had a little tightness in my ankle.  I iced.  I rested.  I went to the gym Monday night for some weight lifting - ankle still not too happy.  When I woke up this morning I still felt it.  Definitely some twinging in the tibialis anterior tendon area when I walk.      I've felt this before and I don't recall it lasting very long.  I'm hoping the RICE method works.  It seems a little better tonight, but I'm not taking any chances with my 10K scheduled for Saturday.  I can rest all the way until Saturday if I must.  Only time will tell.    Nothing as serious as our other walking wounded are going through, but all the same wish me luck.

• NoogaTiger16 Amateur 32 posts since
    May 1, 2010
    2,469. Mar 20, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Man, great times from all racers over the weekend. I was proud of my PR, it wound up being one of three or four out of this group? Awesome! The healers seem to be advancing well too, I know it's frustrating, but you're coming along great following orders.

My longest long run was planned for Sunday, it got scrapped between church, family time, and taking a nephew to the circus. I ran hills yesterday, then got that scrapped long run in today after work. 13 miles, 2:00:10, the half course I'll be running is considerably more hilly, but I'm feeling more confident that I'll break 2:00:00. Man, those last few miles I just couldn't speed up, seemed like I was stuck in the nines, and got harder to just hang on the last mile and a half. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I may take a day, or do an easy recovery run. I know with the race a week and a half away, the "hay's in the barn" so to speak, but I feel like pushing this week before my taper. Can't hurt I don't think.

Keep up the good work everybody, let's work toward another great weekend of races.

Battle of Mobile Bay 5k-2/18/12 (24:55)

Scenic City 5k-2/25/12 (24:43)

Gateway Bank and trust 5k-3/17/12 (23:33) PR

Knoxville Half Marathon-4/1/12 (1:55:29) PR

Chickamauga Chase 15k-4/21/12

King of the Mountain 4mile-5/5/12

Aug 19, 2011
    2,470. Mar 20, 2012 8:15 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran/walked the dog a mile after work today, then ran my 5-mile out-and-back with a flat loop in the middle 2 miles. Basically downhill the first 1.5, so the last 1.5 is uphill. Hadn't run it without walking a little of the uphill before, but managed it today, and when I got to my driveway I hit the watch just as it ticked over to 40:00.

Weather is unbelievable. Planning my long run route for tomorrow.

Nooga.... Easy there, Tiger.  Make sure you're body is rested for your 1/2. Good luck.

• ORcoastrunner Pro 83 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    2,471. Mar 20, 2012 10:18 PM (in response to jmsab23)

I know that this thread is supposed to be about my LAST run, but I'm planning my NEXT run--in London!!  It looks like from my hotel and once around Kensington Garden/Hyde Park for the short run, twice around the park for my long run.  I might have to post some more pics!

I'll miss hearing about everyone's training while I'm gone--keep up the awesome pace everyone.

I may not be good, but I'm slow!

Aug 19, 2011
    2,472. Mar 21, 2012 12:07 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Ran a "good length" run today, but I thought I ran farther than I did. I tried to keep my pace down (accomplished that!!) and run longer (not that). Ended up with 9.75 miles in 1:27. The weather was VERY warm, 70 degrees when I started at 9:30 a.m...... in Maine!! It didn't bother me that much, so that wasn't my problem. I just kept looking at my watch and trying to figure out how far I'd gone on this new route. I thought it would be 11 or even more miles.  But I felt pretty good, anyway -- no major problems/cramps/tightness or anything.

ORcoast........ bring on the pics!!! Have yourself a grand old time.

• countryrunner1 Expert 41 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    2,473. Mar 22, 2012 4:30 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

jmsab23- I agree about the TM--it served me very well over the years and definately comes in handy when the roads are icy or it's too cold/dark to run outside. But it's seen better days. I think the belt is slipping on it because I feel a bit off balance and that coupled with constantly running at same speed seems to be bringing about some discomfort lately. Plus my pace, for some reason, is much better outside.  Of course if I could afford a fancy new TM I would get one in a heartbeat! 

MelodyLea--I hope your foot is still feeling well and healing. Only a few more days to wait ;-)

Debm2011--Hope your ankle is healing up and you're able to race this weekend.

ORcoastrunner--Lucky you!!  Have a great time in London!

--

I was able to run 5 easy miles on both Tues and Wed. Did plenty of icing and elevating afterwards. Today I did a slower than normal 8 mile pace run--didn't want to push it-- and leg is feeling really good right now. Not sure if I'll rest tomorrow or not but I have a cutback run of 13 miles scheduled for Saturday.

Upcoming Events

Eau Claire Marathon-May 6

Ellsworth Cheese Curd 10k-June 23

Red Wing 4th of July Road Race-July 4

River Falls Days 10k-July 14

Ronde des Cyclamens-Aug 5 (First Int'l Race!)

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon-Oct 13

14th Annual Turkey Trot-TBD

PRs

5k - 27:50

10k - 58:41

10 mi- 1:39:58

1/2 - 2:16:38

Full - 4:56:50

• NoogaTiger16 Amateur 32 posts since
    May 1, 2010
    2,474. Mar 22, 2012 5:46 PM (in response to countryrunner1)

jmsab-I'm about 0:10/m behind you on similar runs. I'll be interested to hear our results in our halves coming up.

I did end up taking yesterday off to rest, the yard needed mowing. Today was 10x400s, ended up with 1:30 avg, still making gains. The thing I've got a question about is the calf soreness. I bought a stick, and have been using it, combined with compression, ice, and elevation after runs. I didn't have issues with the calves on my long run Tuesday, but today I had trouble. I couldn't get it stretched out well warming up, spent extra time stretching, then decided it might loosen up more as I got going. Rather than loosening up, it seemed to get worse during the active rests between 400s. It seems like the tightness/soreness is deep in the calf at the bottom, kind of between calf and Achilles. I'm fairly new to distance running, so I don't have much experience with running ailments. Is this just residual soreness from hills then long run left over after a rest day? I'm not terribly concerned if it's just muscle soreness. I'll take a day tomorrow if it's still bothering me, it's almost taper time. Any advice from the pros?

Battle of Mobile Bay 5k-2/18/12 (24:55)

Scenic City 5k-2/25/12 (24:43)

Gateway Bank and trust 5k-3/17/12 (23:33) PR

Knoxville Half Marathon-4/1/12 (1:55:29) PR

Chickamauga Chase 15k-4/21/12

King of the Mountain 4mile-5/5/12

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...