Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

170071 Views 929 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2012 6:06 PM by Debm2011 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 62 Previous Next
  • Debm2011 Legend 361 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    840. Mar 16, 2012 7:14 PM (in response to mkayc)
    After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

I agree - listen to Mary Kay and Mike!  Good advice.

I just wish I could find more time in the week.  My biggest problem is running out of time - no pun intended.  I can't wait until we get more morning daylight and then I can alternate morning and evening runs during the week with my long run on Sundays and try to consistently get 4 runs in a week. 

Monday was an easy 5 miles (can you believe 5 miles can be easy?), Weds was 2.25 as I didn't get home from work until at least 6:00 and I still had to cook dinner and get right to my night job as homework monitor.  Tonight was 3 miles in the drizzle.  I'm experimenting with compression socks to see if they help my poor tight calves. 

10k is just a week away . . . .

Run strong my friends

• kathruns Pro 79 posts since
    Oct 22, 2011
    841. Mar 18, 2012 12:03 PM (in response to Debm2011)
    Re: After the C25K - Continuing the Journey

Deb, I agree that it's so hard to fit in runs now that it's dark in the morning.  I love the mornings and this time change has really messed me up!   Last week I had my husband ride his bike along side me for 2 of my 6 am runs, but he is not usually available to do that for me.

I'm still running 3 miles/3 times a week, but yesterday I tried 3 1/2 miles for the first time to see how that felt.  It went well and my pace stayed the same as my 3 mile runs. I didn't slow down any, but mostly because I wasn't planning on doing 3 1/2 miles until I was at about 2 1/2 miles and decided why not go further today!?   I can't imagine trying to fit in 5 mile runs, but I'd like to be able to run 5 miles eventually.  I felt I could have easily gone to 4 miles yesterday, but I stopped because I wasn't sure how even an extra 1/2 mile would affect me.

- Kathy

Harvest Hustle 5K - 27:28 11/17/12 PR

Run to Live 5K - 30:25 9/29/12

Started C25K on 10/20/11

Graduated C25K on 12/17/11

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    842. Mar 18, 2012 1:49 PM (in response to Debm2011)

Deb, you are so fierce, running in rain and headwinds! I am so impressed with your progress!! It makes my TM evenings look wimpy but that's just fine. You go! I run in compression socks and I don't know if they help. Had a calf pull before the race and still have it but it could have been worse so they may have helped. Saw a lot of folks wearing them so thinking we will find out soon enough.

Kathy, we were wondering about milage increases, also. You should be ok if your additional distance doesn't exceed 10% more each week; so if you are running 3 mi. 3x a wk, you are running 9 mi. a wk and should be able to increase 1 mile a week safely by either adding one mile to one run or increasing two by 0.5 mi or adding a little to all three. I used to plan to split it between two runs but when I was out and felt strong, I just pushed for an extra mile and then did that every week until I had enough mileage (around 12 mi.) to add a fourth run. I have both the B210k and HH HM apps. I can copy the schedules for you if you want. You can probably Goggle them, also. Have fun with it! Sounds like you are ready for a little more.

Well race has come and gone and I finished. Slowly. I struggled with breathing and my HR showed it. Going to focus on conditioning or endurance, whichever it is that teaches your body to use O2 more efficiently. TIRED of being so slow and afraid to push HR too high. Wish I knew what too high was. Posted a race report on Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?  Stumbled on a great album while grabbing some tunes so I'll be putting together a new playlist while watching Bball this afternoon. Poor house; it's owner is so neglectful. So tunes will mostly be hard rock. I've enjoyed getting lost in guitar riffs. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Run strong and have fun!!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• _Miles Pro 147 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    843. Mar 18, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to mkayc)

Really enjoyed reading your race report! Hope you are recovering well. I have run many a run at a 15 mm. I don't know what does it. It's not my lungs for me but my heart. I don't monitor my heart rate but do pay attention to perceived effort and I can sort of tell when it's becoming sort of unnaturally difficult for me. I really wish I had the answer. I try on and off cross training, be careful about nutrition, but maybe overall I am not consistent. Or maybe like you said there is some conditioning thing we are not meeting. Of course I also keep trying to remind myself I haven't been running all that long, maybe it will just take our bodies a while to adjust. Anyways I think you should applaud yourself for both your time and your finish, that is amazing! Every long run I go out on I sort of wonder how I could possibly do a race or any longer of a run.

-Miles

C25k Completed 08/19/11

OHR Completed 10/23/11

5k 09/24/11: 39:10

2011: 280 miles, ~14:00 mm avg

2012: 321.2 miles (so far)

Jun 12, 2011
    844. Mar 18, 2012 8:24 PM (in response to _Miles)

Morning daylight will be back soon and then we can get more done - I hope.

Kathy - don't be afraid to bump up your mileage within the 10% rule.  If it feels good, do it! 

Thanks Mary Kay!  I have to admit, I had ordered the compression socks from Running Warehouse (fyi I was satisfied with their service and will buy from them again and no I don't work there lol).  I kept wondering if it was crazy to be that excited about socks?  So when they arrived on Friday and it started raining after work I didn't care .  I had been planning on trying them out Fri night and a little rain/drizzle was not going to get in my way! 

Good job on your race MaryKay!

Miles, you are right.  it's all about how you feel.  I run by perceived effort as well and some days I can run faster at the same effort as others. 

Today I was aiming for 7  miles but stopped at 6.75.  That's the point I ended up back at  the foot of my street and it was getting late for church so I decided to cut it a little short.  The good thing is I ran the whole 6.75 miles with nary a walk break.  The weather was great clear and upper 40s -  I could have been in shorts.  Then we went for a 1.5 hour hike with the dog this afternoon - 75 degrees and oh so summerlike.  I even grilled a steak for dinner.

Run strong my friends!

Jun 8, 2011
    845. Mar 19, 2012 10:47 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Anyone who is a fan of Bondiband headbands (to stave off the flop sweat) I got notice of an online deal with my last order. Buy 3 get 1 free; coupon code is ONE. five for $25, coupon code is FIVE. @ www.bondiband.com. I do not work for them, just like their product.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    846. Mar 19, 2012 12:30 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi guys...

Sorry, it has been a hectic week.  I was unable to run this weekend due to sickness running through my daughters.  My oldest was out for the count Friday - Sunday so I did what I could, but was unable to make it to class on Friday.  Saturday and Sunday was in a flux.

However, today - much better.  I made it to class - this lady actually includes sprints in her aerobic.  Since the class consists of about 20-25 women and myself (sometimes an older guy is there as well) and most of them are a little overweight, I feel like I am flying around the gym.  There are 2 that push me some, but for the most part it is against myself.  The final sprint down and back in the gym I put it all out there

Tomorrow, I hope to get a full run outside.  It is absolutely perfect running weather.

Mary Kay - I noticed your comment on the Moto.  I use an IPod Touch just for running and the tunes so I still "cling" to my Forerunner.  As for music, I personally listen to Third Day.  Love the words and they have some great tunes to get lost in while running.  The real test will be when I do the 1/2 and Full in the fall.  I was using an inferior MP3 Player and it usually died with an hr left to run - just when I needed it most!  Hopefully this will be better (or, I should just run faster )

Anyway, I love reading up on the race reports - I know they should be coming up as people get closer to their races

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

Jun 8, 2011
    847. Mar 19, 2012 3:09 PM (in response to _Miles)

Earlier post was interrupted by work. Really?

Miles, we are talking about the same thing. When my chest closes up my heart works harder. So while my first symptom seems to be shortness of breath, my HR is also too high so I have to slow down. Regarding thinking I'll never get farther, I had the exact same reaction at the end of my first 6 mi. run, *how will I ever get to 7 mi.?* That's when I embraced run/walk and dug out the Garmin. Ended up fine. The 8 mi. was a big milestone, though. I was in crisis the whole week before *You have to trust the process and stop worrying* *I'm worried* *It will be fine* *What if it's not?* *It will be fine next week or the week after. Get over yourself* Sooo mental!! I tried cross training in the fall and that might have helped except that I hurt my hip probably when I was trying to sprint hard and got side tracked. PT guy thinks muscle mass and stretching is the key but I've been doing that since December. Think maybe I'll try mixing in trail running on short runs. I'd love to buy a bike but have to watch $$.

Deb, sounds like you are having some great runs! Keep at it!!

Kudos to you Eric for sticking with aerobics despite the overwhelming female presence! You're putting "it all out there" sounds a little embarasss-ing but I got it.   Used to be pretty religious kick boxer and found the men were out of sorts when they joined the class. It seemed when it came to moving to music rhythms, it was hard for them to relax and enjoy it but today's boot camp classes are bears. I hate them.

Mary Kay

Jun 12, 2011
    848. Mar 19, 2012 3:23 PM (in response to mkayc)

I do love Bondi Bands but I probably have enough for now - or at least after spending $47 on compression socks (I did what?!!) and buying a new printer when mine died I should probably tone down my spending.  I think they run those promo codes a lot as I got those last summer too. 

Runningn soooo mental.  I totally get that.  Good job putting yourself in your place. 

There are several men in my water aerobics class - in the minority but startingn to catch up I must say.  Mary Kay's right:  "Kudos to you Eric for sticking with aerobics despite the overwhelming female presence! "

I was explaining some of my running philosophies to my son.  I told him my goal for my 10k was to have fun and finish in the upright position - and that I was really only running against myself.  His answer to that:  "well, then you always come in first."  I like that!   Kids come up with the best stuff.

Mary Kay have you had the shortness of breath issues checked with your doctor?  couldn't hurt. 

• Ericd3043 Legend 266 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    849. Mar 19, 2012 7:11 PM (in response to Debm2011)

First off... I have to laugh... I thought I posted this in the 1/2 Marathon thread... I was confused once I saw it come up under this one

Yeah, I just laugh at myself in the class.  Mumbo?  Salsa? Shuffle?  Yeah, whatever... just keep moving and hope no one is watching me to guide them in the steps.  Today, I got in a few minutes late and was really mixed up trying to catch up.  I have had a couple of ladies giving me tips on the lunges, etc so I do not blow out my knee.

Deb - I love that comment - my daughters have a tendency to come up with things like that.  I love it!

My race times (2012)

Race Schedule for the year:

May 6th Frederick Running Festival 1/2 Marathon

May 28th Run through the Park, Ligonier 5k

August Tentative - 5 miler in Chambersburg, PA

October Baltimore Running Festival Marathon (also the 2nd part of the MD Double challenge)

Personal Best :

5K : 28:32 Run through the Park, Ligonier PA

5mile : TBA- Marine Corp 5 Miler in August, Chambersburg PA

10mile : 1:44:52 Cherry Blossum Festival Run, Washington DC

Marathon : 5:01:22 Akron Marathon

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    850. Mar 22, 2012 1:10 AM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Well, my half-marathon Sunday didn't go exactly as planned.  It started out fine, the weather was perfect and I felt pretty good.  I knew that I needed to run 9:10 miles in order to make 2 hours and I was so confident that I decide to actually target 8:50 and try to beat my target by a wide margin.  Unfortunately, I was a bit too excited and actually started out even faster.  I did the first mile in 8:28 and realized I was screwing up.  I managed to drop my pace down to my target range and was clicking along comfortably, running 8:42, 8:54, 8:54, 8:51 and 8:54 for the next several miles.  I hit the halfway point at 57:31 and felt really confident about hitting my two hour target.  I was having a flare up of my recurring knee problem, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle -- just sort of a dull ache.  I took stock of how I was feeling and decided to back down my pace just a bit.  I did 9:05, 9:02 and 9:04 for my next three miles.  Somewhere past the 9 mile marker, there was a water stop with open porta-potties.  I had consumed far too much coffee in the morning and figured that since there was no line and I was well ahead of pace, I would go ahead and stop.  I figured that it could go really badly if I really need to stop later and there were lines.

This turned out to be a mistake.  Standing still for a few minutes tightened up my muscles and when I stepped down the small step to the ground, I felt something bad happen to my knee.  It was a very sharp intense pain that I hadn't ever felt before.  When I got to the road and tried to run again, my knee would scarely bend and the pain when my foot hit was more than I could handle.  I limped along for a while, hoping it would improve.  I tried again to run a few minutes later, but still was unable to stand it.  I was starting to panic a bit.  Finally right near the 10 mile marker, the 2 hour pace group passed me.  This caused an instant reaction and I decided I was going to run with them or die trying.  It really hurt and I had a very hard time getting back into a "normal" running stride.  I eventually did manage to run and although it really hurt, it wasn't quite as bad once I got going as the first few steps were.  The group pulled away a bit while I was trying to get started, but I managed to catch up to them.  I held on pretty well to the group and hit the 11 mile marker in 9:15.  I was experimenting and discovered that if I ran all the way on the right side of the road where the road was banked the most steeply and kept my good leg uphill, it didn't hurt nearly as much.  Unfortunately, the pain was making me run funny.  I was kind of hopping and I could feel that my hips were rocking a lot and my shadow was bouncing up and down in an exaggerated fashion.  I was struggling to hold on to the pace group.  They would pull ahead of me and I would grit my teeth and push really hard and catch back up to them, over and over.  I made it with the group to the 13 mile marker (9:09) but I was nearly exhausted.  They pulled ahead of me again right after the mile marker and although I attempted to bear down and reel them in again, my body wouldn't obey.  The gap continued to widen and I just wasn't able to do anything about it.

To make matters worse, we had been herded over to the left side of the road and my bad leg was now on the uphill side of the steeply cambered road and I just felt like I was being stabbed in the knee with each step.  Once the pace group dropped me, I couldn't figure out why I was forcing myself to run and the combination of dissapointment, pain and weariness took over and I decided to walk again.  Well, technically, I guess I really decided to limp.  I must have looked pretty bad, because two different race people asked me if I needed help, but I told them I was going to make it.  I ended up hobbling over the line in 2:09, which not only failed to meet my 2 hour goal, but was actually 4 minutes slower than my time in November, even though I KNOW I'm in much better shape now (well, except for the crappy knee).

On the plus side, my lovely wife was also running this race for her first ever half.  I managed to get back to the finish line and see her come in.  She did it in 2:49, which was MUCH faster than she expected -- so my dissapointment with my result was tempered with pride in hers.

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

Jun 8, 2011
    851. Mar 22, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to VirginiaBreeze)

Oh, Mike, considering how bad you felt, your time looks fantastic!!! So sorry about your knee problem!! You know you would have made your two hour goal and probably done it easily had you not had the injury. Unfortunately we get the whole body, not just the parts we like. Your hobbling shadow reminds me of my first injury. When the junior high kids made fun of my limp I looked at my shadow and sure enough it was limping. I worry you will cause yourself more pain if you run the 5k in two weeks. I wonder why you had so little pain before stopping and then so much after, whether the pain came from the way you landed your step from the potty or from the heart rate change.

Anyone have experience losing weight while running, well not actually WHILE running, but I am working to limit intake and worried that eating less may make me light headed or make me feel like I am hitting a wall when I run. I have gel and other supplements I can take before runs. At this point, I know I'll complete the HM run/walking so dropping the weight is a priority because I worry about the extra stress on my knees/ankles over the long haul. 

Mary Kay

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    852. Mar 22, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to mkayc)

\ I love that confidence MaryKay "At this point, I know I'll complete the HM"

Mike - sorry to hear about your knee.  Way to perserver, finish and celebrate with your wife.  I hope a couple of days RICE will solve the problem. 

I am officially back into my training for my first half.  Last time I made it to week 5.  Hopefully I came make it to week 12 and show up healthy at the finish line. I'm in the "easy" portion of the training with my long run at 5 miles this weekend/    Looking forward to tackling those longer runs and breaking down those mental barriers.

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

Jun 12, 2011
    853. Mar 22, 2012 7:49 PM (in response to Guayquilwriter)

Mike - how is the knee now?  What amazing fortitude to finish the race.  Only 4 minutes slower than the last one with all that pain?  I think that's pretty great.  Take a well deserved rest and heal that knee.   And Congrats to Mrs. Mike! 

Hi Mary Kay.  Well, I could stand to lose 10 pounds now.  I lost all the big weight before I started running and then gained 10 back which was completely self-inflicted.  I need to get back on the program but I've gotten rather lazy with Weight Watchers.  There are several books out there on nutrition for runners that focus on balancing fuel for running with weight loss.  Perhaps the library has one or two you can try out?  If you find a good one let us know.

Good luck with your half training Stephanie.  Keep us posted.

10k on Saturday - wish me luck!

• ItsLinda Pro 60 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    854. Mar 23, 2012 11:46 AM (in response to Debm2011)

Hello,

I know I have sporadically posted, but I feel I know everyone, and have many of the same struggles.

Deb, I also lost most of my weght before starting C2K5, and have been unable to lose that last 5-10 pounds since.  I feel I eat right (W W) 80+ percent of the time, recentally I have started asking myself "Whats wrong with this weight"? I look good, some people actually call me skinny as in "skinny *itch, (a term if affection I am sure), but most importantly I feel good.  So I think I am going to try to resist the #'s on the scale, and use the scale as a tool, to stay where I am. If I can eat decentally enough most of the time, and the other part of the time feel free to go out with my family and have that occasional margarita, or dessert, that is just going to be how I live my life.

I am also slowly coming to the realization that this half tomorrow might not be the peice of cake I thought.  When you are running in a unfamilair place, they have obstacles you are not prepared for.  Now my goal is to finish, I am not worrying about the time, I wanted to finish in 2:30, but now I am asking my daughter, if the have a 3 hr cut off.  I have flown here, I had to be very careful what I packed in  my carry on.  I brough my running shoes, a pair of sandles, and I wore my boots.  The sandles have made my toe raw, and the bottom of my foot sore, I don't want to put the extra miles of my running shoes, and boots with capri's ewwwh,  So I will put a bandaid on my toe, and put the extra miles on my shoes, and I will finish this race!!

Good luck to everyone, all those dealing with injurys, I will be mostly reading, rarely posting, and running.......

1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 62 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...