Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

21455 Views 129 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2012 12:15 PM by tps2 RSS 1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next
steveha Amateur 12 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2012 7:21 AM

March newcomers?

Hi All,

I just completed W1 yesterday. I can tell you it wasn't pretty, but got it done. If you are starting C25K this month maybe this is a good place to connect for morale support and probably a fair number of laughs.

Just a little background: 53 yo male, married, father of 1. Started P90 (not "X", but the old school P90) about 3 weeks ago and seeing some major improvements already. My wife signed us up for a local 5K here in Chester County PA on May 19th and after my horror subsided, I scoured the net for a training regimen. When I came across this site I thought the C25K program would be a great way to introduce me to running.

I've never 'run' before, and I was only moderately active these past number of years (you know, job, kids, travel, etc), running feels like an alien sport. I'm sure my form is pathetic, and I have no finesse - probably pounding too hard - nothing smooth about my stride. So I'm hoping to improve enough to run the race in May. 

Ran (if you could call what I do 'running') yesterday at a local park with a combination of paved trails, gravel walkways, and dirt paths as well as uneven terrain and uphills. I thought this would be a good way to simulate the actual route. My first two outings were in the neighborhood - flat, well-paved streets and realized that this wouldn't be the reality on May 19th so will go to the park from now on to mimic race course conditions.

If you're sore, tired, filled with dread before you run, uncomfortable running, worried about getting hurt, trying to remember whether it's ice or heat afterwards , concerned about making a fool of yourself, or any other number of worries about starting to run, let's build a good, supportive online team and work through these things together!

Onto W2 D1 in about an hour. Beautiful early-Spring day. Enjoy!

Steve

• Grandrew Expert 34 posts since
    Mar 6, 2012
    1. Mar 17, 2012 8:01 AM (in response to steveha)
    March newcomers?

Hey Steveha welcome aboard the program.  i am only a wek ahead of you right now.  I was set to do W2D3 this morning but decided last night after my leg and shoulder workout I needed an extra day off so I am postponing to tomororw.  Congratulations on already signing up for a 5k.

I had decided back in January I needed to make some changes and get moving.  I started by editing my daily diet by eliminating snacks and slowly started to eat less at meals.  That felt pretty good so I started going to the gym regularly midmonth to do cardio work on the elliptical and by February I started a lifting routine to go along with the cardio work.  Then at the beginning of this month my biddy had the idea we run a 5k and another friend suggested the C25K program; so here we are.

It always feels better to know there is someone else out there doing the same.  Wether it is my two running buddy's, we don't always run at the same time but we make sure we get it in, my friend a few hundred miles away that started, coworkers who are encouraging and everyone else on this forum.  That support network keeps me going.

Started C25K - 3/6/2012

Graduated C25K - 6/4/2012

SNA 5k By the Bay, 5/18/2012 - 29:25

Gaspee Days 5k, 6/9/2012 - 29:39

• Elcafe73 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 17, 2012
    2. Mar 17, 2012 11:27 AM (in response to Grandrew)
    March newcomers?

Hi There- I am a March newbie.  I did w1d1 today. 

My husband turned things around a little over 2 years ago and lost about 45 lbs.  He started running endurance races, this year he will be running his second Tough Mudder.  I"ve been jealous of what he has accomplished all ths time but have had no motivation to get myself started.  For some reason this year about 7 weeks ago I just got tired of being tired and sick and miserable all the time.  I feel like I have wasted the last few years of my life feeling sorry for myself and I can't do that anymore..  Sooo I started to turn some things around in my life and have changed my attitude and adjusted my line of thinking.  I think I have finally gotten up the courage to work towards something.  So I am starting today to join my husband in an endurance 5k race in November.  I won't lie, I did not like today's walk,run at all.  I am not a runner and neve have been. In the past when I set my mind to something, I have refused to give up.  I don't really know where that person went.  But I am determined to get her back!  So the 5k will be running, climbing over walls, crawling through mud, running through fire, swimming thru the swamp and lots of other things that are completely out of my comfort zone!

Glad to be joining the community

• Grandrew Expert 34 posts since
    Mar 6, 2012
    4. Mar 18, 2012 8:01 AM (in response to steveha)
    March newcomers?

I just finished W2D3 this morning and feel great, taking yesterday off from lifting and running was a miracle.  I had been sore from changing my lifting routine a little this week and was beat yesterday.  My shins had been burning early into my run so I took the advice of a friend to use shorter strides and land on the balls of my feet.  They were a little hot at the end but overall fantastic results.  Breathe control and recovery was good and I felt like I could have kept going.  I am looking forward to Week 3!

Started C25K - 3/6/2012

Graduated C25K - 6/4/2012

SNA 5k By the Bay, 5/18/2012 - 29:25

Gaspee Days 5k, 6/9/2012 - 29:39

• Elcafe73 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 17, 2012
    7. Mar 18, 2012 10:15 AM (in response to steveha)
    March newcomers?

Hi Steveha-

I was wondering about c25k. as it says 3 days a week.  you supplement the p90 on other days?  Does anyone else have any reccomendations for doing anything any other days or should I ease into it and stick with the 3 days at least for the first couple of weeks?

• Tlb1004 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 19, 2012
    9. Mar 19, 2012 4:54 PM (in response to steveha)
    March newcomers?

Hello Everyone!

I am very much a newby! Finally decided to get off my couch and get in the game! I just finished week1 day 2 tonight and found it so much more difficult than the first run. Did anyone else have that experience? I truly felt great after my first run and tonight I felt like I could vomit when I was done! I am really hoping Wed. goes better for me. I am not giving up however...I will get in shape!

• midwifemom Expert 51 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    10. Mar 19, 2012 5:57 PM (in response to Tlb1004)
    March newcomers?

Hello All!

I am also a March Newbie, but not new to C25K.  Last July I did the program and finished through week #9, I was running about 30 minutes ( though I couldn't run a whole 5K yet).  I found out when I got up around 30 minutes of running, and noticed knee, hip and foot pain that something wasn't working.  Fastforward to some PT, and I found out that flat feet and collapsed arches don't really go with running.  Fastforward a little more, into some custom made orthotics, and I am starting over.

The good news is that I have no pain at all now, and after breaking in those inserts, I'm ready to get running again.  I also feel a little boost, knowing that I did it before.  Whomever said "Running is 90% mental" is absolutly right.  I have literally come off the couch to start running.  I have a full time job, a husband and 3 kids, but exercise has never appealed to me.  My goal is to be running about 30 minutes again by the beginning of June, which is when a local women's running clinic starts up.  I want to train with them to be able to complete a 5K this year, and get in the habit of running 3-5 miles, 3-5x's weekly.  It's a lofty goal since I'm starting from zero, but I guess I have to start somewhere.

It's great to hear how all of you are doing and to have other runners to share the journey with.

Keep Pushing, Always.

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

• midwifemom Expert 51 posts since
    Jul 6, 2011
    11. Mar 19, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to midwifemom)
    March newcomers?

test.  I changed my settings.  My last name should not be shown here.

Keep Pushing, Always.

Midwifemom

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    12. Mar 19, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to midwifemom)
    Re: March newcomers?

Midwifemom, your name only shows on your screen when you are logged in. To everyone else, it shows up as your screen name, midwifemom.  Test it for yourself by looking at your post when you are NOT logged in. Hope this helps.

Welcome and congratulations to all of you newcomers!  Keep it up, but be forewarned, running is addictive....but a great addiction!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• ZaneGavi Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 19, 2012
    13. Mar 19, 2012 7:03 PM (in response to steveha)
    March newcomers?

Hi, everyone!  My name is Angela and I'm a 34 year old woman.  My screen name means "strong woman" in Persian.

I just did W1D1 today and feel pretty good, though a little sore.  I'm tired of feeling badly about my physical self, and tired of the effect that has on my emotional state.  I am a strong woman in every other aspect of my life and want my physical appearance to reflect that. 

I'm considering working Tae-Bo into my days off of running. 

I don't know how much I weigh right now and am trying to figure out whether I want to buy a scale for the house or not.  Any suggestions?

In the meantime, to keep track of my progress (in addition to increasing the duration of the jogging segments and vice versa with the walking segments), I plan on giving updates of my size on here, to help keep myself accountable.  I am hovering between an 18 and a 16 right now.

I look forward to supporting all of you and accepting support from you!

1 2 3 ... 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...