Skip navigation

1331 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2012 7:10 PM by MichaelK121
MichaelK121 Amateur 10 posts since
Mar 17, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2012 11:41 AM

How to be a better ball handler?

Ok so this is my 2nd year playing basketball. I am a natural lefty, and I would love to play pg. However I would like to get my handles better. How long would it take to have the "ball on a string" type of handle? I have 7 months to train I am extreamly devoted. I started to wake up at 5 to practice. I know how to pass well, I have a good mid-range shot, its the hanldes that are stopping me. During games people are scared to give me the ball so I cant practice. I cant shoot 3s, so im just on the permiter hoping they pass, or Im under the rim fighting for a rebound.

• kiidsplash Amateur 32 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    1. Mar 18, 2012 6:01 PM (in response to MichaelK121)

Woah, you just described me. Basically bring your ball where ever you go and dribble. Make it so it second nature , kind of like breathing. We breath without really noticing unless we try to focus on it. So just TRY and bring your ball when you go places and dribble and Your "ball on a string" handle will come.

P.s.

Since you like being a pg you have to be assertive , Pgs are supposed to be somewhat of a leader , so Be assertive in taking the ball and the is one of the keys to being a good pg.

Good Luck fellow lefty

• firedude8598 Amateur 8 posts since
    Mar 18, 2012
    2. Mar 18, 2012 6:42 PM (in response to MichaelK121)

I've been playing basketball for almost 6 years and I started to work on my handles for about 1 or 2 years. It takes awhile to have that certain handle that you are looking for, but since i see how dedicated you are, you may be able to. I started breaking peoples ankles after I started to work on my handles. I'm going to give you this video from youtube that gives you so many different drills that I also did to get my handles. Memorize the drills and keep practicing, soon you will see a big improvement as I also did. 

Superhandles video, its great and extremely helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEb6O-cjhU

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points